What to wear? - oath ceremony

grumpybear

Registered Users (C)
I know it's a pretty asinine question but I was looking through my closet today and realized that as a woman, it's not quite as simple to "wear appropriate attire".
What exactly is appropriate attire for an oath ceremony? Business/professional attire like I wore to my interview (black, white, gray)? Or is it a more festive, lighter occasion where I could wear something that I'd wear to go attend a wedding or something (floral, pastels, etc)?
Of course I'd prefer to wear the latter but not if it is inappropriate.

I know it's a pretty asinine question but I was looking through my closet today and realized that as a woman, it's not quite as simple to "wear appropriate attire".
What exactly is appropriate attire for an oath ceremony? Business/professional attire like I wore to my interview (black, white, gray)? Or is it a more festive, lighter occasion where I could wear something that I'd wear to go attend a wedding or something (floral, pastels, etc)?

People wear anything from street clothes to suits/dresses at oath. It's your oath, so you get to decide what to wear.

Grumpybear,

Personally, I would like to see you in a floral dress, it will blunt the "grumpiness" brought by excitement of being sworn in as a USC. Whatever turns you on, as long as it is classy and not too sexy, that it will delay the entire oath ceremony as men fix their pants from lusting your unique gifts....lol!!! Interview attire is usually conservative, but since the mood should be celebratory, just treat youself... lol!!

My oath ceremony in Atlanta wasn't a same-day oath ceremony, so people weren't just coming direct from their interviews. I'd say most were fairly smartly dressed. Not everyone, of course, but the majority looked like they'd put on their best clothes, with more of a festive leaning. A woman sitting near me was wearing a white shirt, dark blue skirt, red jacket and red high heels. She looked very stylish and patriotic. :)

After the ceremony there's an opportunity to take photos next to the flag, or with the presiding official. It makes sense to dress as if this is an important, joyful occasion.

I too, had my interview in Atlanta and people do wear different things... it is a memorable event (like a wedding) and you should dress for it. I would not dress below business casual... the oath invitation letter actually does say: No jeans, shorts or flip flops.

When I had my interview in Boston, I actually wore a tuxedo since I had no suits that fit me. It had impressed them quite well. Although I had a friend that went with sandals designed with the American flag and they loved it.