What to do....

JnJ*8103

Registered Users (C)
I keep reading about everyone who has had an interview and everyone brings proof with them with both their name and their spouses name on it... what do I do if we have nothing? We currently live with family (My mother). We do have a daughter together though. We have been married for 4 years and finally saved enough this year to apply for his gc. He's a Canadian citizen. We had a big wedding and reception (150-200 people) and LOTS of pics.

We don't have anything in our names together because he doesn't have a social security # to be added to bank accounts or credit cards and so on. (I do however understand that there is a possibility he will have a ss# by the time the interview comes up and if that happens we will have things in our names together... but what if it doesn't happen that he gets his SS# before the interview???)

Will they take into consideration we have already been married 4 years and have a 2 year old and hopefully another on the way when the interview comes about?

Will they hold that against us even though it's virtually impossible for us to have things in both our names?

Last edited by a moderator:
having children together is stronger than any paper work, just get affidavit from your mom stating that you leave with her or you pay some sort of rent to her,if you guys do, but i hope your income is atleast up to or more than the required amount.

We have a co-sponsor since I didn't have enough income. We have been married 4 years before applying so that should say a lot too

You should be fine,like the other poster said get affidavits.Not only from your family,but from friends or neighbours(if possible),who can vouch for you that the marriage is genuine...Also I dont know if you tried,but you should try to get a bank acoount.I was able to open an account of my own in the past,and recently(2mths ago) a joint account with bank of america,using my passport.

Being Canadian he has no passport and it wasn't needed/isnt needed for his GC. So we don't have any way to get one one. We have tried numerous banks :(

My husband and I went in for our interview together yesterday morning. The Interview officer did not ask us anything other than the "Have you ever been convicted of any crimes" questions. She asked no personal question whatsoever and did not ask to see ANY evidence. We have only been married for almost one year. If you're wondering why, it's because we brought our kids with us. We have a four year old and a 10 month old! They were all the proofs we needed. Yes, we did prepare and brought a big plastic bag full of albums and pictures and documents, but we didn't even have to bring them out.

I have a very close friend (female) who petitioned her husband (Canadian) who had the same experience that we did (they were interviewed 3 years ago) and they brought their 1 year old son with them.

I know not all interview experience will be the same, but from what I gather, if your marriage is real there really is nothing to worry about, having a child (or more) is really a great place to start. Your marriage being 4 years old and your child who is 2 years old is a great proof! Gather all the evidence that you can, but make sure you bring your child or the birth certificate and I wish you all the best!

You're right that he doesn't need one for the interview, most people don't know that canadians don't need one and even if you apply for one the consulate and passport canada both told me it's about 15 weeks right now, not including mailing time, for Passports mailed to the US, so I can understand the annoyance of it all, but I didn't need anything but a drivers license to be on my husbands financial things, bank of America account and Visa, to make it joint accounts and I didn't need a SSN at all for any of it. That's all they require if you're Canadian, at least for Bank of America.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, these are the forms that we filled out: the I-130, I-485, the affidavit of support and the G325A. I didn't apply for a work permit because I wasn't planning on working anytime soon, I also didn't apply for an advance parole coz we weren't planning on travelling. With the forms, I only included copies of our passports, marriage license, and our sons' birth certificates. I didn't send any evidence with our forms, I figured we will show them at the interview.

We also don't have anything with our names on it except our leases and our cell phones. My husband and I have been together for a looong time and have always kept separate bank accounts so we didn't have that. We don't have a credit card together. At one point, we thought we didn't have enough proof but we brought everything we have to the interview. In the end, we didn't even need them because the IO didn't even ask to see anything and didn't ask us any questions. The only proof she required were our kids!