What to bring at Oath Ceremony

havefun

Registered Users (C)
What kind of document should one bring during Oath Ceremony?

I am planning to bring Passport and Permanent Resident Card only and of-course N-445 filled and signed. But do we need anything else?

This should be in sticky or in FAQ so that others can benefit as well.

havefun said:

I am planning to bring Passport and Permanent Resident Card only and of-course N-445 filled and signed. But do we need anything else?

Take your green card, the oath invitation letter. The green card will be taken from you before you receive your certificate. Other than those two things I don't think you need anything else.

havefun said:

Sounds to me like some sort of sadomasochism – it is clearly stated on your oath letter what to bring/wear to the ceremony.

N400TriState said:
Sounds to me like some sort of sadomasochism – it is clearly stated on your oath letter what to bring/wear to the ceremony.
Close enough to BDSM. What is needed is on the letter, but somehow we find a way to include additional stuff.
I guess overkill is part of the human psyche

kblacwell said:
Take your green card, the oath invitation letter. The green card will be taken from you before you receive your certificate. Other than those two things I don't think you need anything else.

Is that mean we can't go oversea before we receive the passport?

Once you become a US Citizen, you should travel on a US Passport (hey, it's one of the benefits of citizenship according to the 96 questions, if I remember correctly).

You can get a passport pretty quickly through expedited processing (2 weeks or slightly less). If you have a travel date within two weeks of your naturalization (and you have tickets you can show), and you can travel to one of the regional processing facilities, you can get a passport in a day or two or three.

The department of State is *way* better to deal with than the USCIS

ylc726 said:
Is that mean we can't go oversea before we receive the passport?

Correct! I think you'll find most customs & immigration officers rather unsympathetic if you try to travel without a passport. Technically I believe you may be able to re-enter the US using your Naturalization certificate, but not if you've already sent it to dept of state with your passport app...

boatbod said:
Correct! I think you'll find most customs & immigration officers rather unsympathetic if you try to travel without a passport. Technically I believe you may be able to re-enter the US using your Naturalization certificate, but not if you've already sent it to dept of state with your passport app...

I would have to disagree with this - once you become a Citizen and (let's just assume) you leave US without your US passport and without certificate, once you try to re-enter they WILL let you in, but make sure you have water and money to wait several days at the customs :)

If you're a citizen - you are a citizen.

Well entry for US citizens is not an absolute either these days. A Pakistani born US citizen (whose son was convicted in Lodi, CA) was not allowed to visit the US and is cooling his heals in Pakistan.

N400TriState said:
I would have to disagree with this - once you become a Citizen and (let's just assume) you leave US without your US passport and without certificate, once you try to re-enter they WILL let you in, but make sure you have water and money to wait several days at the customs :)

If you're a citizen - you are a citizen.

Well, that will change at the start of next year (and more so at the start of 2008). The only document US border folks will take will be a passport (for air and ship travel starting Jan 2007, for all travel, Jan 2008).

There is also the question of getting into the other country without a passport. If you are American, you are expected (I believe by statute) to travel on a US passport (as I understand it).

loosing passport in a diff country would be same

Hey guys, I once lost my native country's passport in singapore. I had to wait for two days in that city and go to my country's embassy untill they checked my passport number etc and gave me a emergency document to travel.

That document is like a disposable passport. Once u reach ur home country u have to apply for a regular passport. But i also had the option of getting a real passport in singapore itself, but it was 8 times costlier. so i just took the emergency document.

So, all i mean to add in ur discussion is, updating ur social security about ur citizenship will be very usefull on circumstances like loosing ur passport in 3rd world. Even if they can pull ur records with ur Alien number, ur social security information showing u as a citizen kicks up.

How do you do that? Update your SSN? I know when you get a GC, you update it to remove the "work permit required" line.

Is there a way to update it from GC to USC? I didn't think so...

Certificate of Citizenship

I was just wondering if I will recieve my certificate of citizenship at the Oath ceremony. I have to travel to Canada for a concert 3 days after my Oath ceremony. I need some sort of proof of citizenship. I live really close to the border..but lately I've had to wait 3 hours in the long line of cars just to get back into the states with my green card. Thanks for all your help :)

You don't need a passport to enter Canada as a US citizen, your naturalization cert should do (or, if you are a Canadian citizen, your Canadian passport or citizenship card). To re-enter to the US, your naturalization cert should do for now.

This changes in January. If you fly or travel by ferry from Canada (or anywhere else) to the US you will need a passport to enter the US (USCs and anyone else). After January 2008, you'll need a passport no matter how you enter the country (with a *very* small number of exceptions).

Shribuy said:
How do you do that? Update your SSN? I know when you get a GC, you update it to remove the "work permit required" line.

Is there a way to update it from GC to USC? I didn't think so...

Absolutely there is... and if you don't, I'm told by SS admin guy it will cause red flags when you submit a tax return with "citizen" checked.

The update is really easy. Just go to your local social security office, present your natz certificate, drivers license and existing SS card. They will ask questions, fill out forms and (in my case) send a new card in the mail.

So will I recieve my certificate of nautralization at the oath ceremony? or will I have to wait another month for it to come in the mail?

Flydog said:
You don't need a passport to enter Canada as a US citizen, your naturalization cert should do (or, if you are a Canadian citizen, your Canadian passport or citizenship card). To re-enter to the US, your naturalization cert should do for now.

This changes in January. If you fly or travel by ferry from Canada (or anywhere else) to the US you will need a passport to enter the US (USCs and anyone else). After January 2008, you'll need a passport no matter how you enter the country (with a *very* small number of exceptions).

melywely said:
So will I recieve my certificate of nautralization at the oath ceremony? or will I have to wait another month for it to come in the mail?
u will get ur certificate right after the oath ceremony before u leave the building.

N400TriState said:

Well it is a legit question. The form said to bring "Any Immigrations Documents you may have", that's pretty unclear what they are.

AwaySooner said:
Well it is a legit question. The form said to bring "Any Immigrations Documents you may have", that's pretty unclear what they are.
I guess you better come with a stack of paperwork dating all the way back to the very first visa application! :D