What kind of domestic use of the physical green card are there?

AmericanWannabe

Registered Users (C)
Not counting the use when applying for citizenship application,
I have encountered and can only imagine two uses:
(1) work eligibility verification (I-9)
(2) apply for college

(1) can even be avoided by using a driver's license and a
no-restriction SSN card. Maybe (2) can be avoided too.

Is there any other occasion we have to show our green card
except for INA 264 check up?

The physical green card needs to be shown to determine your tuition (e.g. resident or non-resident) category, no exception by the school authority.

Another possibility is nowadays INS requests that all PRs carry their green card at all times anywhere within the country, for possible inspections.

>there are some cases where you have to be a "US Person"

To apply for a IRX tax ID, the form list several reasons. One of them is "for the pouse of a US person". The IRS people say
for that purpose, anyone in the USA is a USA person

Re: Re: What kind of domestic use of the physical green card are there?

I don't think in state tution got anything to do with GC. If you've lived in the state for a certain period (typically a year), irrespective of your immigration status, you're eligible for in state tution.

However, for (2), having GC makes you eligible for various student loans, for which you cannot qualify as a non-LPR.

Originally posted by JoeF
For (2), you have to show that you are legal, and having a GC also usually allows for instate tution.

Re: Re: Re: Re: What kind of domestic use of the physical green card are there?

Originally posted by JoeF
That largely depends on the college. Every college can have its own rules.
I do know for a fact that the University of California only allows in-state tuition for people who live in the state for 1 year and have an immigration status that allows them to take up residence in the US (like H, L, or the GC). Students on F1 or J1 visa always have to pay out-of-state tuition.

I heard that if you are an illegal immigrant in California, you will still get In-state tuition if you have fulfiled the residency requirement. I heard it on a radio show a few months ago, do not know if it is true ot not.