What is the best wy to travel to Canada

zoaib

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone. I will be travelling to Canada in Dec for getting my canadian immigration. I would certainly like to come back as I have a good job in USA and my green card process is also going smoothly.

I want to use the 30 day revalidation process as I have a expired visa. I have heard they take Original I-94 card at the airport. but you do not have to give at the border. Does anybody know how can I get away for not giving my I-94 card when going by plane. I have a 1 year old son so I am sure he will not be comfortable for 12 hrs journey in the car.

Also If In case I travel by car, Is their big any problem crossing the border and coming back with US number plates.

Thanks & will highly appreciate a response.

Detach your I94 card from your passport and keep it separately. If airline staff ask just tell them you dont have it or lost it.

If you are going to land for the first time, best to take rental car with you, if you take your own car, Ca customs guy might force you to import your car into canada and pay taxes, which you would never like to do as you have to return to US.

Hope this will help

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for your reply. But the problem is I am a SR person. I have to go to immigration before I go to canada and I am told by my friend that they stamp the I-94 indicating something that I have been checked. Wouldn't the airlines become suspicious if I say I have lost my I-94.

- Zoaib

Re: Thanks for the reply

Originally posted by zoaib
Thanks for your reply. But the problem is I am a SR person. I have to go to immigration before I go to canada and I am told by my friend that they stamp the I-94 indicating something that I have been checked. Wouldn't the airlines become suspicious if I say I have lost my I-94.

- Zoaib

I am not aware if they stamp I94 after SR when going by air. I am also SR, left US twice from land border and they just SRed me and didnt take I-94. Oh, I think may be, they stamp I94 to enforce exit or make sure that the person really board the plane after surrendering I94 at airline counter. You better call to your POE airport and talk to imm officer about it and confirm that can you keep I94 for AVR after SR process.

The other solution is to go by car or if its a long drive one thing you can do to fly into any city near ca border (like Buffalo/Detroit) and then take rental car from there and enter canada by car that would also cost you cheaper as compare to paying international fare.

Another solution is to use AP that case you wont be subject to SR on your return to US.

By the way where are you in the US ?

Thanks again

Thanks again for all your help. I am in Boston, MA. What is AP?. How can I get it? I can drive if there is no problem in taking my own car in canada and coming back with the same car.

Actually I applied for stamping my visa at state dept. It was refued and told to go to any consulate to get it stamped. They also put "cancelled without prejudic" on my visa. I was told my company lawyer that it doesn't make a difference. I just don't want to get stuck in canada for long as I have a good job in USA. Also if I don't go I will loose my immigration, deadline is 31st Dec. My wife has H4 visa stamped valid until next year. My son is American born.

I hope that helps you to undertsand my problem.

- Zoaib

If your visa app got refused and they also cancel-stamped your visa then you better check with attorney and POE to confirm whether you can still use AVR or not as as they already refused to revalidate your visa in the US. I hope you know the rule that if you apply for visa you cant return to us and waitfor the result, and if visa is refused you cant enter us.

(AP=Advance Parole) If your green card is pending (I-485) you can apply for AP. If your I485 app was filed at at vermount service centre you can apply for AP there.. Some local CIS offices also issue AP you can also check CIS Boston district office.

You can take your car although its not advisable but make sure you do not import it into canada at the time of landing.

correct me if i am wrong. but if you are SR, you could NOT return to states just by valid I94 and expired visa.
the revised regulation exclude certain country people from using the visa automatic revalidation..

please make sure..

Originally posted by forcanada
correct me if i am wrong. but if you are SR, you could NOT return to states just by valid I94 and expired visa.
the revised regulation exclude certain country people from using the visa automatic revalidation..

please make sure..

Thats only true for 5 DOS listed terror sponsor states.