What If I don't have all the papers they ask for (N-600) ?

This reminds me that if she has a Social Security number, she could also call the Social Security administration and see what they have on file and to request a card if she does not have one.

The original post mentions having a Social Security card. Hopefully it is one without the employment restriction wording.

Unless you entered illegally or claimed asylum or refugee status, you would have needed a passport to enter the US. Go to your parents place to find the old passport.

How do you know the A-number is right? Where did you see it?

I wrote it down when i did have it before it got stolen

The documents I do have:

Original Social Security Card
My Algerian birth certificate in french
A copy of My parents marriage certificate in Polish
And my sister said she can give me Both my parents certificate of citizenship by naturalization (because my parents won't give it to me themself)
Also i can get my moms british passport, i dont have a picture in it, just my name is listed because i didnt recieve my own

Last edited by a moderator:
The documents I do have:

And my sister said she can give me Both my parents certificate of citizenship by naturalization (because my parents won't give it to me themself)
Also i can get my moms british passport, i dont have a picture in it, just my name is listed because i didnt recieve my own

So what is your birth citizenship? I am asking because depending on the country you might still be considered a dual citizen. You might be able to get a passport from that country's consulate.

Another tricky thing is that your birth certificate and your parents marriage certificate are in different languages, since it is yet another thing to explain. I would translate them (either do it yourself and have someone who knows both languages certify it, or use a translation service where you have to pay).

I wonder whether the documents you have (once translated) are sufficient to apply for a US passport. You may want to call the National Passport Information Center and explain your situation. You can always apply for the N-600 later.

So what is your birth citizenship? I am asking because depending on the country you might still be considered a dual citizen. You might be able to get a passport from that country's consulate.

Another tricky thing is that your birth certificate and your parents marriage certificate are in different languages, since it is yet another thing to explain. I would translate them (either do it yourself and have someone who knows both languages certify it, or use a translation service where you have to pay).

I wonder whether the documents you have (once translated) are sufficient to apply for a US passport. You may want to call the National Passport Information Center and explain your situation. You can always apply for the N-600 later.

I was born in Algeria. I don't know if I'm still a citizen after I became an American citizen through my parents.

I was born in Algeria. I don't know if I'm still a citizen after I became an American citizen through my parents.

Well, if you were listed on your mother's British passport, you are probably still a British citizen, even if you were born in Algeria.

Well, if you were listed on your mother's British passport, you are probably still a British citizen, even if you were born in Algeria.

The passport is expired, does that change anything. And Could i do anything with that old pASSPOrt like get an American one?

The passport is expired, does that change anything. And Could i do anything with that old pASSPOrt like get an American one?

Even if the passport is expired, that does not mean the citizenship expired. It would prove that you were a British citizen at some point. The passport by itself is not sufficient for a US passport application, but together with the other documents it might work. Another scenario might be to get a British passport (you would have to talk to the British consulate to see what is required), get a I-551 stamp from the USCIS in the British passport since you lost your greencard, and then apply for the American passport. Getting the US passport might be easier than applying for a Certificate of Citizenship through the N-600, at least in the short run. (Even if you do get a US Passport, you should still file the N-600 later to have a non-expiring document proving your citizenship.)

Call the National Passport Information Center and explain your situation. They should be able to give you more information.

So what is the original nationality of your parents? Algerian? or British?

And do you have (at least a copy of) your birth certificate?

So what is the original nationality of your parents? Algerian? or British?

And do you have (at least a copy of) your birth certificate?

My father is Algerian, and my mother is Polish. My dad was studying at the University of Leeds in England thats why we were there, and then I think we got a lottery VISA to United States, became perminant residents and then they applied and got citizenship.

And yeah I have a copy of my Algerian birth certificate , it is in french

My father is Algerian, and my mother is Polish. My dad was studying at the University of Leeds in England thats why we were there, and then I think we got a lottery VISA to United States, became perminant residents and then they applied and got citizenship.

OK. Basically, you really need to make up with your parents and get them to help you. I am sure that they actually have some of the documents you need (most likely they'll have your old passport, or at least a copy of it, perhaps a copy of your old green card, and probably some of the paperwork they used for their original green card application). At least they should be able to file FOI/PA requests with USCIS and get copies of their A-files; those A-files should contain some documents related to your green card as well.
You can also try to file your own FOI/PA request to get a copy of your own A-file (which presumably has a copy of your old green card); see the posts above in this thread about this. Filing your own FOI/PA request will be difficult since someone will have to notarize your signature on G-639; without you having a current ID that could be a problem. Still, you should probably try.

Another thing you could try to do is to get a copy of your high school/middle school records (with the school ID that you do have this may be possible). It is likely/possible that your school file has some copies of your documents, such as maybe a copy of your old green card, etc.

But really, you need to reconcile with your parents first and get them to help.

The documents I do have:

Hopefully your mom's passport has an immigration stamp in there with your name on it.

You also have a school ID with your picture and name, correct? Is it expired?

Filing your own FOI/PA request will be difficult since someone will have to notarize your signature on G-639; without you having a current ID that could be a problem.

It's not necessary to notarize your signature on the G-639. Instead, you can sign the declaration at the bottom of the 2nd page of the form. Myself and a few other members on this forum did this and received our A-files without any problems.

So how come your mother has a British passport and you were entered into it?

It's not necessary to notarize your signature on the G-639. Instead, you can sign the declaration at the bottom of the 2nd page of the form. Myself and a few other members on this forum did this and received our A-files without any problems.

Interesting, I did not realize that. In that case, the OP definitely needs to request a copy of her A-file.

So, you could already be a citizen of four different countries - US, UK, Algeria and Poland. (Not sure if Algeria supports dual-nationality, but the other three do). You're spoiled for choice. :rolleyes: