What are the options for TVU students who left to India....?

premd

Registered Users (C)
I am a trivalley student who left to india. I have a valid visa through December 2011. I completed my masters at a different university and transferred to TVU after my OPT. I did two semesters at TVU before its closure. I want to come back on new i-20 to a new school. What are my options...? Thanks and appreciate you replies

I am a trivalley student who left to india. I have a valid visa through December 2011. I completed my masters at a different university and transferred to TVU after my OPT. I did two semesters at TVU before its closure. I want to come back on new i-20 to a new school. What are my options...? Thanks and appreciate you replies

I guess you can apply to other colleges and get the i-20 by paying new sevis fee...If your old institution is ready to take you back for some other course or so ..i guess you need not apply for the visa(check with the US Embassy for this) if its some other college i-20 then i guess you have to go again for visa interview(again check with the US Ambassy for this, since you have valid visa its maybe/maynot situation)...The final thing of judgement is on hands of CBP in port of entry...or if you dont want to take risk try to get the i-20 and then talk with US embassy.

-------------------------------------
Disclaimer- Not a lawyer

According to current regulations, a student who was not pursuing a full course of study is permitted to “depart the country and return as an initial entry in a new F-1 nonimmigrant status.” See 8 CFR §214.2(f)(8)(i). If the student chooses this option, he or she will need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. If the student’s visa is valid, he or she does not need a new visa if returning to the United States within 5 months of his or her exit date.

someone please explain 8 CFR §214.2(f)(8)(i)

If the student chooses this option, he or she will need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. If the student’s visa is valid, he or she does not need a new visa if returning to the United States within 5 months of his or her exit date.

I do not think we have that option to SOS. The Visa stamp on passport has the SEVIS ID which was terminated. The SEVP call center told that my SEVIS was terminated so does my VISA.

Officer at POE might compare the VISA stamp and initial I20(new) for SEVIS match. Boy, we are in trouble.

paying sevis fee activates new i-20....according to the above mentioned section ...I am hoping there is a possibility.

Hi,

I am an affected student of Tri Valley University. I came on B1/B2 in
sept'09 then got my status changed to F1, i went to State Uni.of NY
for 1 semester then transfered to Tri Valley.
After I transfered to Tri Valley , within 10 days it got shut down. Am
I out of status, and if so then how long can I be like this? Also, in
case I leave the US and try to come back on H1B will it be difficult
to get H1B.
I have spoken to an employer, they are ready to file my H1B but I wont
be allowed to work till Oct.1-2011, so how can I live till Oct,1,2011.
In case the same employer sends me to one of their sites in Dubai or
S.Africa, will I be able to file H1B? And what will be the chances to
get it.

Your response is much appreciated.

Thanks,

paying sevis fee activates new i-20....according to the above mentioned section ...I am hoping there is a possibility.

Right. New I20 will have new SEVIS ID. VISA page on passport will have old SEVIS ID.

I am not saying that, you can not do it that way. That was my guess that they might compare the SEIVS ID on VISA page with the one on I20.

I talked to one of the guy who came back to U.S. after his sevis is terminated by his own university for "watever" reasons. He got a new i-20 and came back with the same i-20 twice. Thats a strong case. Even lawyer Ms.kalpana peddibotla was writing about options for TVU students pointed to 8 CFR §214.2(f)(8)(i), which basically says with a valid visa , new i-20 and new sevis, re-entry is possible according to law. Check immi-law dot com and trivalley section But the CBP officer may send the TVU student for secondary inspection and watever flags that might show up when trying to re-enter. That leaves us with another question, is a student deportable at the POE, when he technically didn't enter the country ? practically a CBP officer can accept or deny the entry.

The problem here is gettin a new i-20, which gives you a new sevis record, which you can activate by paying the sevis fee. Now UNVA is issuing i-20's to former tvu students. They have some information and procedure to issue i-20's from USCIS. Once new sevis fees is paid, it is not updated on visa. A valid visa will be activated with new sevis number at POE. But there could also arise potential problems at POE.

It would be a really bad idea to go to UNVA. They are also not accredited, and did the same online classes stuff that TVU did.
UNVA is one of the next shady institutions to get shut down.
Why would anybody after the TVU shock want to experience the same thing again? As the saying goes: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Apply at a real, accredited university, not at fraudsters like UNVA, ITU, Herguan, etc.

Jo ..no offense.. would you mind telling me why unva would be a bad idea...?
Below are my opinions why unva wasn't a bad choice.
accreditation-for that matter there are thousands of schools without accreditation and not all are shady and not every univ is like tvu ...fake.
I dont see UNVA as shady...i have been to the campus - they have got real people, real classes..real professors...real exams and real grades. I agree they are kinda low-end univ but not shady univ.they also offer one online class for internationals which is permissible even in big accredited univs. I know IT professionals who are working in top 10 firms in DC area go for evening MBA classes at UNVA.
I just dont see why UNVA is a bad choice than other schools in DC area.

Jo ..no offense.. would you mind telling me why unva would be a bad idea...?
Below are my opinions why unva wasn't a bad choice.
accreditation-for that matter there are thousands of schools without accreditation and not all are shady and not every univ is like tvu ...fake.
I dont see UNVA as shady...i have been to the campus - they have got real people, real classes..real professors...real exams and real grades. I agree they are kinda low-end univ but not shady univ.they also offer one online class for internationals which is permissible even in big accredited univs. I know IT professionals who are working in top 10 firms in DC area go for evening MBA classes at UNVA.
I just dont see why UNVA is a bad choice than other schools in DC area.

First, UNVA did the same thing as TVU, issuing CPT for work in unrelated jobs, and allowing online-only classes. They of course changed that after TVU got raided, but they already have been in ICE's crosshairs, and once the TVU issue is over, ICE will start shutting down these other fraudsters.
Second, UNVA is not accredited. That means that you can NOT use any degree from them for an immigration benefit, for example.
Also, people, even Americans, who use such degrees to get a job risk getting fired when the employer finds out that the degree came from a non-accredited institution. In some states, job applicants have to disclose if their degree is from a non-accredited institution.
Accreditation means that the institution has an acceptable minimum standard of education. UNVA doesn't have that. In fact, UNVA used to be accredited, but isn't anymore. That means that the accreditation agency has found that the education is below the acceptable standard for accreditation.
Why in the world would you pay thousands of dollars for a piece of paper that, sorry, can only be used as toilet paper?
The bottom line: UNVA is a diploma mill. Stay far far away from them. They are next in line to get shut down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Jo1234 this instance Premd. UNVA is also a diploma mill. And its degree is as good as toilet paper. It is true that people on H1, H4 etc attend courses e.g. evening MBA as you said as they are not dependent on their visa to stay in the USA for study purposes. Even some may do it online, only if they do not fall under the non-immigrant categories like F-1, J-1 etc. For F-1 students a maximum of 1 class may be online only provided that has been approved by the DSO (Well some computer science students may have 9CR online too, but that has to be part of the course curriculum, not any course just to fill in the 9CR requirement).
In fact H1b holders for e.g. in State of Florida are eligible for instate tuition, which F-1 students are not. So if you are on H1b then yes you may do what ever you feel like in the field of academics. If you are on F-1 visa than you must abide by the rules as set for F-1 students.
Well Premd, I do understand your predicament as UNVA would be an easy access to maintain your visa status and stay in the USA, this is why so many students joined TVU, as it is hard to get admitted to good universities and even after applying there is no guarantee that you may be admitted. But please understand that there is no short cut method to success, if you fail to be here in the USA, there is no harm in turning back to India. I do understand that it is easier said than done, but employing any subversive methods like cutting the across the line should not be something you should resort to. Always follow the rules, and even though it may be tough it will be fruitful in the end.

Hi Jo1234,

Hi,
I am affected TVU studenst. I applied to accredited univ,.... NPU in fremont. My intake starts in September,2011. While I was in USA a DHS officer contacted me and gave options like reinstatement, voluntary departure or NTA.
so I took VD. Couple of days back I contacted that DHS officer & enquired abt my VISA & other things. He replied that my VISA is still valid and I can re-enter to USA with out any problem even at Port of entry also. Finally he said I can re-enter in the month of september 2011 with my old visa as my VISA is still valid one.

It would be a really bad idea to go to UNVA. They are also not accredited, and did the same online classes stuff that TVU did.
UNVA is one of the next shady institutions to get shut down.
Why would anybody after the TVU shock want to experience the same thing again? As the saying goes: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Apply at a real, accredited university, not at fraudsters like UNVA, ITU, Herguan, etc.

Hi,
The situation is same here with me, as I am also TVU effetced.
let me know more details like mail id so tht we can get in touch in India.

@premd:

Hi,
The situation is same here with me, as I am also TVU effetced.
let me know more details like mail id so tht we can get in touch in India.