VSC & Washington, D.C. DO - timeline & issues "resolved"

LegalAlien99

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody!

I created my timeline below. Here is the latest update regarding my N-400 saga: They received it 01/17/2006, cashed the check on 01/23/2006, requested my A file on 02/02/2006. No receipt notice though.

When I spoke to them today, I had the best 1.800 misinformation experience ever! Officer Taylor was soooo helpful. He took care of everything. He gave me the receipt number, updated my address, corrected the wrong A number entry done at VSC and forward all of that to VSC. He said that they had not entered the case into the database yet, therefore no receipt number as of now. He said I should reveive either a receipt notice and/or biometrics appointment in the not too distant future. Let us hope so.... .

Best,
Nico

-------------------
N-400 timeline:

01-12-2006: N-400 sent
01-17-2006: N-400 received @ VSC
01-23-2006: Check cashed
Receipt Notice: None so far (but receipt number on check and confirmed
over the phone
02-02-2006: A file requested
Fingerprint: N/A
Interview: N/A
Oath: N/A

Nico, it's good that your issue finally resolved. I think you'll receive your notice and FP notice soon.

Couple of quick questions: a) You said "requested A file" -- what do you mean by that and how do you find out or know when it happened? b) Where is this 1.800 number you called. Could you point me to a web page on USCIS on where to find it?

Thanks.

aashn said:
Nico, it's good that your issue finally resolved. I think you'll receive your notice and FP notice soon.

Couple of quick questions: a) You said "requested A file" -- what do you mean by that and how do you find out or know when it happened? b) Where is this 1.800 number you called. Could you point me to a web page on USCIS on where to find it?

Thanks.

Hi there!

a) A file: the Service Center at which you filed your N-400 will request your A-file (administrative file) if they do not already have it. It contains your entire immigration history in the U.S. (how you first got your green card, correspondence you had with INS/USCIS). They use this to preliminary adjudicate your N-400. Then, once that is completed and the fingerprints are back, the A-file is moved to the District Office at which you will be scheduled for your interview.

b) I just called the regular USCIS customer service line: 1 (800) 375-5283. The first few times I called, it was totally useless. Nobody had any clue, was not interested in what I had to say regarding my case etc. Then, yesterday, I was lucky enough to get connected to Officer Taylor. Awesome customer service rep. He changed my address (I am moving today), corrected the A number error VSC had made when they entered my case etc.

I asked him if he had any idea what was going on processing wise. He said that his system showed him my receipt number (only got that of off the cashed check), my Priority Date (which he gave me 01/17/06), and the last action taken on my application (A-file request on 02/02/06).

You might have to call USCIS customer "service" multiple times with the very same issue. Be firm, don' t let them give you an information that you know is incorrect (such as: oh, VSC does not issue receipt notices etc.). Eventually, you will get somebody like Officer Taylor, somebody willing to spend 20 minutes on the phone with you to investigate what is going on.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nico

Hartford (VSC) timeline

1/17/06 App received at VSC
1/17/06 PD
1/19/06 Check encashed
2/15/06 FP appointment ( Just completed)

Now its wait and watch. Does anyone know when i can expect the interview? Also what is the time lag between interview and oath. I am a CT resident so i would be going to the Hartford DO office.

Also - how do i check my case status online? It keeps saying that they have received my application and there is no update since then although i have completed my FP already.

Thanks in advance!!