Voting Questions

Jojo72

Registered Users (C)
Okay so here is the scenario. My husband a USC by birth has always voted in the State of New York or absentee in the State of New York. Being military we move around a lot and right now we live in Alabama with the military. I just became a USC and registered to vote here in Alabama for the Primaries but never ended up voting that day as it was not the Democratic Presidential Primaries but local Primaries and I just don't have enough knowledge about the local guys. So my question is, do I need to vote in Alabama in the presidential election given I have never ever voted but did registered here, or can I vote with my husband on a federal absentee voting ballot request for the State of New York? Is it a potential problem I registered here to vote originally and then re-register for NY absentee? While we do temporarily live in AL now my husband's home of record is New York. I m so confused :rolleyes: Thanks for any input

Well the simplistic answer is that you should register to vote in the location of your domicile. What state is your drivers license issued by? Thats probably the same state of your official residence.

that is what I thought until my husband was advised that in the military you should always vote absentee of your home of record and the spouse/dependent too. I would vote absentee if I was allowed to, but I thought first time voters have to vote in person for the first time? So is the true answer my husband votes absentee and I vote here?

I would vote absentee if I was allowed to, but I thought first time voters have to vote in person for the first time?

I am not aware of that requirement. Maybe you should call your local board of elections and clarify the matter.

As permanent absentee in Calif, we have voted in 2 elections so far and both were with mail/absentee ballots. Not sure what the rules are for other states.

Yes we do live in Calif. I think you should contact the registrar of voters for your county in AL. My personal understanding is that you can only vote in AL and you can do it absentee but the rules for mail voting vary dep on states.