Visiting VISA to India after US citizenship

Ravi Mecheril

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,
My husband is a naturalized US citizen.We r planning to apply for US passport for my son who is 13yrs old in Feb 2008.We have to go to India in 1st week of May.Can we
1.apply for visiting visa and then apply for OCI in India
2.If we have to send in the Indian passport while applying for visting visa will be there be any problem when we apply for OCI in India
3.Can we apply for OCI first and then later apply for visiting visa if there is a delay in obtaining the same
Plz reply thanks in advance

Hi everybody,
My husband is a naturalized US citizen.We r planning to apply for US passport for my son who is 13yrs old in Feb 2008.We have to go to India in 1st week of May.Can we
1.apply for visiting visa and then apply for OCI in India
2.If we have to send in the Indian passport while applying for visting visa will be there be any problem when we apply for OCI in India
3.Can we apply for OCI first and then later apply for visiting visa if there is a delay in obtaining the same
Plz reply thanks in advance
rmecheril,
1) It takes 8 - 10 weeks for OCI approval. If you apply in Feb , in theory you should get it approved in April mids. If it gets delayed for some reason, you can always get a Vistor visa in 5 working days. (If you go to the Consulate, you can get it on the same day). If i were you i will try to apply for my OCI and wait and see. (it cost you approx $125 for Visitor visa !!! + later you will any apply for OCI).
2) Cancelling Indian visa is a must. It should not be a issue in your OCI process.

If one has to be travel to India in 8 weeks after getting U.S passport, would it be fine to apply for OCI? What if the OCI comes to a stage when i have to give my U.S passport & it is now time to go to India? I will not have U.S passport with me to even get visitor visa. Right?

If one has to be travel to India in 8 weeks after getting U.S passport, would it be fine to apply for OCI? What if the OCI comes to a stage when i have to give my U.S passport & it is now time to go to India? I will not have U.S passport with me to even get visitor visa. Right?

8 weeks is a bit short time to ge OCI stamped. In Houston consulate, it takes then 5 weeks just to enter you in their system to start processing, then about 3+ weeks to get approval, another 2-3 weeks to stamp your passport (Unless you go there in person, then you can get it stamped in one day).

If you have trip in 8 weeks, I would suggest get visa for now.

Yep, i am applying for visitors visa. I want to apply for OCI from India. I want to know what requirements for applying from India. How long does it take in India? Where to file?

applying for indian visting visa

Hi Reliable Man,
From what I have read I gather that u r planning to do the same thing as me.Iam also planning to go to India in a visting visa and then apply for OCI there.I couldn't get any reply regarding this in any forums I posted
1.Should we show a 2 way ticket at the SFO consulate during application or at the immigration counter in India when we travel to India on a visiting visa.

2.Is there any problem if we travel in the valid Indian passport after getting US citizenship.I know it is theoritically illegal but is there any way for the Indian immigration authorities to find out if we have the US citizenship without us declaring as such.My friends in UK tell me that they have done it without any problem.The hitCh I see is that WE will not have the greencard with us while travelling and when we apply for OCI they may be able to find out that we travelled in Indian passport even after getting the US passport if they compare the date os issue and date of travel especially if we do it fom India
Regarding applying for OCI in India I think it can be done in chennai.It takes about 2-3 months in my knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Reliable Man,
From what I have read I gather that u r planning to do the same thing as me.Iam also planning to go to India in a visting visa and then apply for OCI there.I couldn't get any reply regarding this in any forums I posted
1.Should we show a 2 way ticket at the SFO consulate during application or at the immigration counter in India when we travel to India on a visiting visa.

2.Is there any problem if we travel in the valid Indian passport after getting US citizenship.I know it is theoritically illegal but is there any way for the Indian immigration authorities to find out if we have the US citizenship without us declaring as such.My friends in UK tell me that they have done it without any problem.The hitCh I see is that WE will not have the greencard with us while travelling and when we apply for OCI they may be able to find out that we travelled in Indian passport even after getting the US passport if they compare the date os issue and date of travel especially if we do it fom India
Regarding applying for OCI in India I think it can be done in chennai.It takes about 2-3 months in my knowledge

About #2, I would be very careful. I am not sure what all they enter but I know when you reach India, they make some data entry. They probably enter your passport no and date of entry in their database. That may show up during some inquiry for OCI as how you entered India last on Indian passport but applying for OCI.

Thanks

N400Atl.
thank u for the advice.Iam also thinking that applying for a visitor visa will be the best option.
Any idea whether we should show a 2way ticket in the consulate or immigration counter in India when we travel with visiting visa.

Regardless of what are the chances that Indian authorities will find out, you should not take this step. It may have the potential to give you long term grief. Look at the bright side, you can get an Indian visa in one day. I had to wait for 20 months :)

2.Is there any problem if we travel in the valid Indian passport after getting US citizenship.I know it is theoritically illegal but is there any way for the Indian immigration authorities to find out if we have the US citizenship without us declaring as such.My friends in UK tell me that they have done it without any problem.

Thanks N400atl, Triple citizen

To: rmecheril

Yes, i will be applying for visitors visa soon. The people (Trav..) are as confused about the Renunication form (D.C office). One said only 1st page needed. Another said both needed (2nd page with some one person signing). Finally, i made both talk with each other & make final call. I am told to submit only 1st page of renunciation form. That is good.

I have booked for only one way ticket to India. If anyone asks, i will tell that i am unsure of return date & hence not booked for return. I don't think it is an issue because people can stay beyond the allocated period by applying for extension.

I will find about where to apply for Oci (I will be in Mumbai) when in India. I don't know if there is any requirement to stay in India for some time before Oci application can be done in India. I hope not. I want to get Oci completed before the visitors visa expires. This will ensure i dont have to apply for extension.

Also, i want to make sure that if my future wife has any baby, he/she gets U.s citizenship. I hope that it true. I am almost sure it is.

Thank u everybody

I think i have got reply for all my queries.Thank u very much for the active and meaningful participation of all the members and moderators in this discussion forum and also Rajiv for maintaining this wonderful site

reliableman, yes it is true. If you are US Citizen (either one of the spouse), their kid gets US citizenship. We had one of our frind who had similar situation. Regarding applying for OCI from Mumbai, do we need to fill in Online form after we land up in India? Is there any time frame that we need to submit Section B after filing Section A? I'm planning to travel with one way air ticket on visitor visa.

To: Returnhome: Thanks.

I am going to do the same. I don't know the process, but i hope to finish it before visitors visa expires.