Visa valid dates

cligsman

Registered Users (C)
If someone has a visa to stay in the states from x day till y day. This person travels to USA on day x or a bit after, and he gets there, the immigration in the airport stamps on his passport that he can stay till y+100 days. Now what if that person leaves the States on y+50 day? Is this allowed (I mean leaving after the visa expires but before the immigation due date comes)? Will he be able to go to the states again?

A visa is simply permisssion to apply to be admitted into the USA. The visa validity dates specifies the time window in which you can present yourself at the US border and present your papers to an immigration officer to gain entry into the US. At this time you also fill out an I-94 on which the immigration officer writes the type of visa you are entering the country and HE DECIDES how long you are permitted to stay in the US by writing a date on your I-94 which is the last day you can normally be in the US without overstaying. This date has nothing to do with when your visa expires. You could have a visa issued on date X with a validity of one week. So you can present yourself for entry at US from X to X+7 and the immigration officer might let you stay in US (by writing on I-94) till X+75 for example. as long as you leave the country by X+75 or change your status (through INS approval, etc) you are OK
more info at : http://www.murthy.com/vista.html
------------------------------------------------------------
Please note that i am not a lawyer so act accordingly

Know there is a difference now

Thanks very much..I know the difference now between the visa (from embassy) and the duration of stay (from INS).

Thanks again.