Visa getting experienced at Toronto Consulate

siddiqi101

Registered Users (C)
Does anyone have any recent experiences of getting an H1-B visa from US consualte in toronto? How long it took to get a visa? Please shed some light.

Dude,

No offence!! but you are freaking me out. If someone gets their passport stamped at one of the US Consulates in Canada, they will post. The issue of how long will it take to obtain a visa? It is on case by case.

CRS
I have read those requirements before? What i am looking for is the personal experience from anyone acquring a Visa from Toronto Embassy under H1-B....................

Vault:
As far as your comments are concerned. It thinks it's a pretty serious matter and i don't know about you but it effect everyone of us. Most of the people currently working now in USA are working of I-797.
So nobody is freaking out here, i am just reying to gathered some informaiton to be better prepared.

Hi Siddiqi,

This is not a recent experience, this was back in Apr/May 2001.

First thing they did was at the Visa counter in Toronto, they
stamped on my visa "Cancelled".

Then the Officer asked me a series of questions.

Why did you come to Canada and why not your Home Country?

Why do you have to re-validate your visa, since you already had
a valid visa?

Why do you think you are qualified for this Job?

And so on .. Around eight or nine questions.

I have answered all of them and she seems to be satisfied
then she told me to collect the Passports in the evening
and i believe after that i was told to pay the fees.

In short and sweet it was not a very pleasant experience and the
officer was very discrete.

Had i known this, i would have mailed it to St.Louis then.

I thought it was'nt worth it going there. I had all my documentation and everything in order.

So if you are in US and you might want to consider getting
revalidated it thru St.Louis.

I bet it would'nt be any better now.

my 2 cents.

Vjy

Originally posted by siddiqi101
Vault:
As far as your comments are concerned. It thinks it's a pretty serious matter and i don't know about you but it effect everyone of us. Most of the people currently working now in USA are working of I-797.
So nobody is freaking out here, i am just reying to gathered some informaiton to be better prepared.

Hi Siddiqi,

Some one with a recent h-1B stamping experience.

http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?threadid=72600&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Cheer up.

Vjy ;)

H1b visa stamping at Toronto consulate

Folks...thought I would update you on the issue of getting visa under new rules from the Toronto consulate.

I am a Canadian PR living here for almost 2.5 years. I recently had my H1 approval and though I was not technically required to
get a visa stamp for travelling before March 17th, I chose to do so to avoid future complications.
I made an appointment online through amcits.org. This is an easy way to schedule an appointment. The website provides details of available dates and time slots and you can pick and choose date/time according to your convinence. The cost for this service is C$10. On the morning of the interview, do not forget to bring your confirmation letter for the interview. Also, you need to pay a US$100 visa application fee at any branch of Scotiabank in Ontario and bring all 4 copies of the fee receipt with you.

After I arrived and submitted my passport/paperwork etc., I had to wait about 1.5 hours before my name was called.
The lady officer at the counter asked me why I would need to go to the US and then asked for copy H1b paperwork. Since I have lived in the US before for study and work (I had prior F1 and H1 visa stamps on my passport from India), the officer asked as to what was the purpose of my prior visits. She then asked to see my diploma from the US. She then aked how long have I been in Canada and what was I doing. I told her that after immigration, I have been working in Canada in Canadian companies.
She checked my landing paper and then reviewed the H1b paperwork and asked if I had any family in Canada. After that she asked what will happen to my PR status in Canada if I go to the US. I replied that under the new rules, I am allowed to stay out for 3 years of any 5 year period and since the H1 was for 3 years, this should suffice.
I was given a receipt and then asked to pick up my passport next afternoon. Overall, a pleasent experience, the whole interview process lasted less than 5 mins.

I was not asked to provide any more documentation. However, I took the following docs and copies with me.

Landing paper
Graduation certs and transcripts
Offer letter from US company
Letters of exprience from prior companies
Pay stubs
US and Canada tax returns
Bank statements from Canada bank
I20 from last F1 visa
Copies of I129, I797 and LCA from current and last H1 visa
Copy of last I94 while I was on visa in US

The fact that I have been in US before on F1 and H1, and the fact that I have been in Canada for alomost 2.5 years probably felicitated my interview process. If you have never had an US visa before and only been in Canada for a short period of time you may find it difficult to get a visa. The consular officer maynot always be convinced as to your intention of returning to Canada and may refuse a visa or alternatively may ask you to go back to your native country and apply.
It may also take more time than usual for security clearence and background check for people from countries required to register.
However, this is my personal opinion. Each case is different. Have all your documentation in order and give convincing answers to questions.
Hope this information helps. Good luck to you all.

Some advice: While making an appointment, try to take the first available slot in the morning. The consulate gets considerably crowded later in the day. You won't be allowed inside more than 30 mins before your interview. I had to wait an hour and half before I was interviewed.
Also, parking near the consulate is pretty expensive. You are probably better off taking public transport. It is only a minute's walk from the nearest subway station.
Remember not to take any electronic equipment such as cell phone, camera, calculator etc. You will not be allowed in.