Visa Facilitation Services in Mumbai - How crowded? Any tips?

Salil T

I have an F1 visa and want to get my H1B stamped in November. Since I qualify for a drop box visa, I was told I will HAVE to go to the VFS. There are two VFS in Mumbai. Does anyone know when the one in Pune is scheduled to start ?
1. Do we still have to go early in the morning and queue up?
2. DO WE HAVE TO SUBMIT ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS ?
3. Does anyone know how convinient they are?

Good question

I\'ll try and find out the same from my people in Bombay and post it here. For my first H1 stamp I had gone personally to the consulate and had to wait a long time in that queue. ( When I reached the window the guard told me I could have easily dropped it in the box instead of troubling myself.) As far as the rush at the VFS is concerned, lemme find out \'coz I\'m waiting on an H1 transfer and this time when I go back I would rather avoid the direct hassles at the consulate. (I live in the suburbs and it gets hectic to get all this done in town on the same day).
Adios.

Post Sept 11 Visa Procedure

I just got my H1 revalidation done at Bombay (post sept11). Here\'s what you can do:
1. Use the Andheri office - It\'s less crowded and the people there are more polite.
2. Call for an appointment - if required (Call anyway, they will let you know if you need an appointment).
3. Use the VFS (Drop box facility) for revalidations these take 2-3 working days.
The VISA Office has brochures for the new Visa Process.

Who was the source for the information?

Salil, are you absolutely sure that the drop box is the only way? There is a person who posted below (AlexPune) who went and got his H-1B stamped in person without a hassle at the consulate. I\'m confused as to wether we can try this, or if we have to go through the VFS. Can anybody please confirm this for me if they know? I leave in less than a week and this is getting very confusing..

you dont "have" to go through the VFS

For a F1- H1 you do not qualify for the drop box. It is clearly mentioned on the mumbai consulate web site.

- alex

No Title

Alex, you could be right but the websites below imply that if you have an F1 visa in the past 7 years and want an H1B you qualify for a drop box. In any case, its good to know that drop box visas dont "have" to go thru VFS...Thanks

See bullet item #3 on http://www.visa-services.com/usa/who.htm -
3. Applicant for an F (student), H (work) or L (intra-company transferee) visa, who has travelled on an F, H or L visa before.

See http://www.usembassy.state.gov/mumbai/wwwhdrop.html -
Beginning on Tuesday, July 24, all Drop Box applicants should go to the VFS Application Centre (see location and hours below). Most applicants for nonimmigrant visas must be interviewed. However, you may use the Drop-Box to apply for a visa without a personal interview if you are an Indian national who meets any one of the following criteria:
You have evidence of a multiple entry U.S. visa issued in the past 7 years; or
Returning F (student), H (work) and L (intra-company transferee) visa applicants, applying for any one of these categories.

You can\'t use drop box for new H1

You can only use dropbox for revalidation .i.e. you have an H1 stamp already (which may has expired) and want to get a 2nd one with a new I-797 , OR for your spouse H4 revalidation same applies

No Title

Hi Ravi, I dont want to throw a klinker in your plans, but I called up the consulate today. They said the same thing - if you qualify for drop box you HAVE to go to the VFS. It is entirely possible that they started this just recently, and the best thing for you to do would be to call up the mumbai consulate at 22-3637407 (or 08) between 2-4 pm(mumbai time) and confirm.

Will I need to get my passport stamped if it is a visa transfer case?

I changed my job early this year. I have the H1 visa stamp with the old company name on my passport. It is valid till the end of 2002. I have the transfer approval letter for the new company and I have been working with the new company for more than 6 months now. My question is, would I need to go to the US consulate in India to get the visa stamp with the new company name on it? Have the regulations changed since the attacks??

Tim

Conversation is Moot

My Friend who in the same boat, just went to India less than 3 weeks ago and he had to use the drop box. He got his visa with absolutely no hassle. So I think this thread is moot. As per the website, it clearly states that if you have a pre existing visa (any multiple entry visa) then you have to use the drop box! If they want to call you for an interview they will do so.

If you read the web site carefully you will also see that the driving idea is to stop the lines all together at the consulate. All applicants will have to use the drop box at some point of time in the near future. New applicants who have never held a visa to the US before will be issued appointment letters using which they reach the embassy at the correct time and date, and give their interview!

H1 transfer

I too need a new stamp on my passport for my new approval notice which I hope should be on its way (fingers crossed). This VFS stuff in Andheri sounds good. Worth going to India for !! ;)

However, is any of you considering going to Mexico or something for the visa or you think its not worth the hassle ?

by the way Tim, can you share with us your approval date, receipt date , notice date ... were u having it processed with the CSC ? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you.

H1B Stamp at Bombay Embassy

I\'m planning to go to India. I\'m waiting for my new H1B approval notice to come. However, I have not started working for this new company and planning to start working for them after I come back from India and once I get my approval notice. I\'ve been laid off from my previous company 4 months before. My questions are

Is it a good idea to go to India ? is is risky to go for stamping in Mumbai considering my case. Do they ask for pay stub ?

i read somewhere that, even if my approval notice does not come and I have a valid previous H1 stamp on my passport, I can still travel with my receipt of H1 transfer application. Is that true ?

Everyone\'s help is greatly appreciated. I\'m confused as to whether or not I should go to India.

No Title

oh by the way, Tim , as per my knowledge, you can travel on your old H1 visa for it\'s full validity with a new approval notice in hand anywhere you go.

my lawyers strongly advised me....

..NOT to travel without the approval notice though you can do so with just the receipt notice in hand...as far as going to india is concerned, i\'m always for it :) personally, i prefer going to the consulate back home.

I agree ....

Hi Deepred

Thank you for your reply. I agree with what your lawyer says. I\'m hoping that By the time I\'m in India I will get my Approval and someone form my home would mail it to me in India. My aproval is already pending for 3 months.

one more question. Is it okay if I start working for the company once I come back from India? I\'m currently unemployed and got laid off 4 months before.

I have a counterquestion for you ...

I don\'t think Bombay consulate may need paystubs...but that\'s an \'if and a but\' kind of thing. They didn\'t ask me last time but that was way before Sep11. For the VFS services you might have to submit paystubs. I\'ll try calling them and finding out.

Question for you is : Lets say you get ur H1 stamped. You have a start date mentioned on ur offer letter. Now you try and enter the US without a pay stub, obviously coz you havent started yet. Do you think you\'ll face problems with immigration at the port-of-entry even though you have an offer letter, which however has an early start date compared to ur actual entry into the US ??? That should be your main concern I think, rather than worrying bout getting rejected at Bombay consulate....what r ur thoughts on this ? I wish we could get some more advice on this here...

Thanks...

If offer letter would have later date then my entry back to US ..Wouldn\'t that work ? And I\'m going to work for that company.. it si just that they want to wait until the approval comes.