Very Long Delay in Processing Citizenship Application

kagnew

I live in San Francisco and I submitted my citizenship application in early September, 2003.

I had my fingerprints first taken in late October. Subsequently I received a request for another set of fingerprints (the quality of the first set were not satifactory for processing) and had the second set taken in early January.

Since that time I have not heard from the USCIS. According to their site they are now processing applications received in January, 2004.

Two months ago I requested a status update via their 800 number and was told that I would receive a response within 30 days. I have not received the promised update.

Does anyone know what is the reason for long delays of this nature and what is the best way to obtain information form the USCIS about the reason for the delay? Will visiting the San Francisco office be of any value?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Yes. You should visit the Local office and ask to speak with an Immigration Officer, who would have access to your file. You want to make sure that your interview letter is NOT lost in the mail. If it ever happens and you don't follow up periodically, USCIS may abandon your application.

As far as delay in interview, I have an application pending since May 2003 in Orlando office, which is probably one of the most backlogged offices in the country. I am also still waiting for an interview appointement.