Validity of SVP Issuance

RubyA

My L-Visa has expired in Apr and my Indian PP is about to expire in Sept, Indian Consultate asked for more documents to process SVP and not full 10 years PP, concerns which i have with this are:
- I have valid I-94 till Sept '11 then why SVP, I am still an Indian citizen?
- I have to travel back to India in Sept '11 for getting my visa processed under H category, will there be issues with SVP?
- Will I be issued visa only for a year because of SVP?
- Will I be able to get my SVP extended in India in case my Visa application is rejected?

Early responses to above will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!!

No, I do not have SVP and my current passport is not from tatkal scheme but regular one.
For SVP, Indian Consultate first wants me to complete an affadavit which is taking some time. I am not sure how long it will take to get the passport exteneded once i submit all my documents in NY Indian Consultate.

Why are you asking for a short validity passport to begin with? Can you provide exact wording of consulate's request/

I am not asking for SVP, i am asking for fresh PP valid for 10 years but consultate says that as my L1 visa has already expired, they will issue me SVP and will extend it once i have a valid US visa / status.