Vacation with Naturalization Request Pending

realexm

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I filed for naturalization at the end of April. Can I go on a cruise in September (GC holder) without any issues?

Thanks!

Vacation, are you serious ?

Hi,

I filed for naturalization at the end of April. Can I go on a cruise in September (GC holder) without any issues?

Thanks!

As soon as you file for naturalization, you are under house arrest. You can't even leave your house, what are you talking about.

has the uscis not sent you the request to surrender your GC until they make a descision on your N400 app ??

You have to prove to USCIS that you have worked your butt off without taking any days off to cruise around in some sunny island. Sorry, no, you cannot take vacation.

Hi,

Thanks!

With the pace of processing with recent applications you may be a citizen by then. In the meantime, no issues with traveling as long as you have valid GC.

Hi,
Thanks!
Until you are complete with the oath, you cannot accurately predict when you will be called for FP, Int and Oath. So its a game of chance. What if one of your appointment is between the Vacation days? You can decide for yourself by considering your DO timelines.
Then again once you are done with your oath, you would need to wait for the passport (approximately 2 weeks) and visa (if any).

I suggest you not to take vacation right now until your journey (vacation) to citizenship is completed. What if you get FP appointment during your vacation? You would miss it.

What is your District office? Each DO in USA may process faster than you think. you never know. It is very unpredictable.

With the pace of processing with recent applications you may be a citizen by then. In the meantime, no issues with traveling as long as you have valid GC.

Thanks!

I suggest you not to take vacation right now until your journey (vacation) to citizenship is completed. What if you get FP appointment during your vacation? You would miss it.

What is your District office? Each DO in USA may process faster than you think. you never know. It is very unpredictable.

The cruise is a family vacation to celebrate my parents-in-laws 50th yr wedding anniversary. It will be kind of hard to postpone that! I should be out of town for 14 days. How much notice do they give you for the interview?

I submitted my application in April, got fingerprinted 2 weeks ago. The office is Newark, NJ which apparently works quickly so I might actually be a citizen by then, YAY!

Thanks!

The cruise is a family vacation to celebrate my parents-in-laws 50th yr wedding anniversary. It will be kind of hard to postpone that! I should be out of town for 14 days. How much notice do they give you for the interview?

I submitted my application in April, got fingerprinted 2 weeks ago. The office is Newark, NJ which apparently works quickly so I might actually be a citizen by then, YAY!

Unlike others, I based on my answer with the confidence that you already had your FP done ;). I would go on the cruise, and enjoy your time with your in-laws. Worst case scenario is that your interview is scheduled during your cruise and that you postpone it for a later date. Best case scenario is that your interview and oath is before the cruise.

Considering that recent Newark applicants will have their interview and oath done in 5-6 months timeframe, you stand a good chance of receiving your interview letter in June-July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go

I agree with Bobsmyth. I would go on a vacation in a heart beat. 14 days should be ok. I am sure you will be notified ahead of time so you can plan your things.

Enjoy your time off with your in-laws.

I agree with Bobsmyth. I would go on a vacation in a heart beat. 14 days should be ok. I am sure you will be notified ahead of time so you can plan your things.

Enjoy your time off with your in-laws.

yep. based off of past performance, uscis gives more than just a 2 week notice of interview.

at worst, you may have to cancel/postpone the trip- though this depends on how last minute you can purchase your ticket/fare.

oh good, you had done taking FP. You can go for vacation, but do not stay too long. but I am afraid that Newark office's processing times is unpredictable.

From what I have read on this forum in the past, some people filed N-400 in Dec 2007 and got interview letter last month. (that's 4 months) and interview will start one month after they receive their interview letter. It means give them 1 month to prepare for interview. Sometimes the interview is scheduled in 2 months after they got their IL. As for your DO (Newark), the processing times is unpredictable like I said. I think you will get an interview letter in June-July and your interview will begin in August-Sept. Enjoy your vacation with your in-laws. Dont drink and cruise! just kidding! heh. :)

Also, where will you go on cruise vacation? Caribbean? Please make sure to remember travel dates because you will be asked at the interview about your travel so interview officer can update your N-400. Keep your travel and credit card proofs with you to avoid delaying the oath (officer may want to see the proof that you are out of USA). If you are on Caribbean cruise, do you have visas (british visas, french visas, south american visas) to cruise around Caribbean?

oh good, you had done taking FP. You can go for vacation, but do not stay too long. but I am afraid that Newark office's processing times is unpredictable.

From what I have read on this forum in the past, some people filed N-400 in Dec 2007 and got interview letter last month. (that's 4 months) and interview will start one month after they receive their interview letter. It means give them 1 month to prepare for interview. Sometimes the interview is scheduled in 2 months after they got their IL. As for your DO (Newark), the processing times is unpredictable like I said. I think you will get an interview letter in June-July and your interview will begin in August-Sept. Enjoy your vacation with your in-laws. Dont drink and cruise! just kidding! heh. :)

Also, where will you go on cruise vacation? Caribbean? Please make sure to remember travel dates because you will be asked at the interview about your travel so interview officer can update your N-400. Keep your travel and credit card proofs with you to avoid delaying the oath (officer may want to see the proof that you are out of USA). If you are on Caribbean cruise, do you have visas (british visas, french visas, south american visas) to cruise around Caribbean?

Excellent information!

The cruise will go from the US to Mexico to Honduras back to the US. I have a European Union Passport. I know Mexico isn't a problem, but I better check Honduras :)

And the booze... If I have my citizenship I will make it a celebration cruise!