V visa for GC spouse..

rajmash

Registered Users (C)
hello all

Im trying to get some info on the "getting GC for a spouse of GC holder" .

This one - reading from numerous posts - takes 5 + years. do any of you have experience with this visa.

iam aware that its easier to get US citizenship and apply for GC for spouse.

but just wanted to know the details regarding this.

this may not be a bad idea if the person is already here in some visa say h1 visa - so "the long wait to get spouse in the country" doesnt hold good.
and this visa can be applied immediately after u get ur GC

i got soem info from a website - but it says applicants should abpply before dec 21 2000...

http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/visa_v.html

Last edited by a moderator:
are u saying - a gc holder can directly apply for GC for a spouse
just like if u r a citizen - only it takes longer !!!

( without going thru H or L visa which is not related to marriage)

Yes; either to get an immigrant visa (GC) or a non-immigrant work visa like H or L that allows for immigrant intent.

found some more info: looks like one can apply for I-130 and the wait is like more than 6 years for spouse and relatives.....

it is a very long road Raj, It takes too long if you sponsor your spouse and you are a green card holder...around 5/6 yrs. Your spouse can come on F-1 but then you have to pay those high non resident fees, plus she has to maintain status and go to school regularly.. B2 is other option..but then she has to leave every five to six months depending on how much stay she will get at POE. H-1 and L-1 are other options. But I dont understand the system here... Anyone on H-1 or F-1 can bring their spouses right away, but for someone with GC has to wait for six yrs.. No easy solution to this one.. I heard there was a bill in congress, which was supposd to make it easier to bring gc holdrers' spouses and dependents..but it is on hold..another bill was the eligibility for GC holders to apply for US citizenship after four yrs..that is on hold too... Good luck.. I am not sure if someone can tell anyother shortcut to this..

GC holder successfuly applied and got GC for spouse in 5-6.. years???

thanks naveed

i can see the pain - for a lot of members with marriage and GC pulling them in opposite directions...

is there anybody in this forum - successfully did the 5-6... year process - applying and getting a GC for a spouse - when u r a GC holder.
if so i would lie to hear from them .........................

it is a very long road Raj, It takes too long if you sponsor your spouse and you are a green card holder...around 5/6 yrs. Your spouse can come on F-1 but then you have to pay those high non resident fees, plus she has to maintain status and go to school regularly.. B2 is other option..but then she has to leave every five to six months depending on how much stay she will get at POE. H-1 and L-1 are other options. But I dont understand the system here... Anyone on H-1 or F-1 can bring their spouses right away, but for someone with GC has to wait for six yrs.. No easy solution to this one.. I heard there was a bill in congress, which was supposd to make it easier to bring gc holdrers' spouses and dependents..but it is on hold..another bill was the eligibility for GC holders to apply for US citizenship after four yrs..that is on hold too... Good luck.. I am not sure if someone can tell anyother shortcut to this..

usually the petitioner becomes a USC while waiting for that particular quota, and there are a lot of questions about upgrading a petition in the Family Immigration subforum about it.

Raj,

I am on the same track. Wife is a Green card holder, filed I-130 in May 2002. Our case has been approved by service center and all paper work done with NVC since dec 2005. We are just waiting for the Priority date man.

Wife is not a citizen yet, as she lived with me for her pregnancy, so her citizenship residency period was not maintained.

Lucy, do you think when a couple loves each other a lot they would stay away for 5 straight years..NO!! Well, I can't stay that long. Family is more important then GC. Though, there are ways you can maintain both.

I am in Canada, if PD doesn't move for 1 more year, We will give up her Green card and settle down in Canada. No shortcut option to get your wife Raj other then H1 visa, which is a lottery this days.

Infact... any US visa is a lottery this days..:)

GC spouse..

even I am on the same page, I had my GC two years back, now I had decided to get married :) and wondeing what approach I should go with...

1. It seems inorder to get my spouse to the US, I have only two options one is H1b(lottery) or F1 visa, B1 visa doesnt apply and F1 is very expensive and also she has to maintain her status, and H1 is pure luck.....its crazy even though I have GC I still cannot bring my spouse, I heard about the new bill but its never going to be passed.......

I am devasatated, I cannot leave US at this stage...so wonder any one could throw some light.....searching for light at the end of tunnel ......!!!!

-Vic