USPS forwards USCIS letters?

GC_TRAP

Registered Users (C)
Hello All,

Does USPS forward USCIS letters and notification if you have just moved and a letter from USCIS is on the way. Meaning that your change of address AR-11 and USPS change of address happened after the letter from USCIS was already in the mail.

Thank you all!

Hello All,

Does USPS forward USCIS letters and notification if you have just moved and a letter from USCIS is on the way. Meaning that your change of address AR-11 and USPS change of address happened after the letter from USCIS was already in the mail.

Thank you all!

I think this may depend on the kind of a USCIS letter.

In general, any letter that is marked "return service requested" on the envelope, will not be forwarded by USPS but will be returned to sender. As of a few years ago, most of USCIS letters were marked "return service requested". E.g. I still have an envelope from my interview appointment letter (sent in January 2009) and it is marked "return service requested". However, it is possible that the USCIS practice regarding this has changed, and maybe somebody with more recent experience than me could comment on this issue here.

When mail is returned to USCIS, they will check for a change of address in their associated databases and it might be on the returned envelope as well.

They will re-mail if they get a new address.

Generally, USCIS letters are not supposed to be mail-forwarded, however it happens sometimes. Personally, I wouldn't count on it.

FYI: For what it's worth I thought I'd mention that contrary to what my local post office told me, USPS did forward both the USCIS letter and DMV registration documents to my new address. I was told categorically by the local PO that official and government letters are neither held nor forwarded by the Post Office. Maybe only if the letter explicitly says Return Service Requested, then maybe it's not forwarded.

Just thought some of you may want to know.