USPS Certified/Return receipt - when will I get the return receipt?

k.ambrose

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I sent out my AOS package consisting of the I-130, I-485, I-765 and I-131 plus the medical sealed envelope on Thursday, 24th May morning. I went to the UPS store which also does USPS mailing and got it mailed via USPS Priority Mail, Certified and with a return receipt.

Since Monday 28th was Memorial day, I am thinking that it would have been delivered on Tuesday. But I still haven't gotten the return receipt of the mail. It has been 4 days since Tuesday (29th, although 28th was the date the clerk told me it would be delivered). I sent it to the USPS address, the Chicago lock box. I'm a little worried as I see other people are getting a return receipt much sooner.

My checks haven't been cashed yet and I'm planning on calling the UPS store on Monday morning to ask was my parcel shipped out etc.
Anyone with similar experience, please share. I'm just worried.
Thanks a lot.

Thank you...

Thank you,PraetorianXI. I really hope that the package reached there safely and they will begin processing it soon. Thanks for your info, again.

k.ambrose,

my return receipt came in the mail one week after I mailed the package, and the date on it was 6 days before I received the return receipt.

It's actually much more likely for the USCIS to lose your package after it arrives than for the USPS to lose it. That's why the I-797C receipt notices that Praetorian referred to will eventually become much more important than the mail return receipt.

Yup. I would make sure that USPS indeed ship your package though. Didn't you get a confirmation/tracking number to look it up online?

Thank you,austriacus. PraetorianXI, I mailed it priority mail certified and return receipt. There is a Receipt ID (20 numbers) on my purchase receipt but on at USPS website track when I search with the numbers, it returns a "No record found for this item". That's what perplexes me. I'm definitely calling the them trow.

Hi PraetorianXI,
The number which says Receipt ID is 83009743002315888216. No spaces in between.

This is a perfectly valid number for tracking USPS shipment. I'd really be worried if the date was closer to July 30th :rolleyes: (increase in fee)

When you go to the post office and post it, immediately the number will be activated and will say something like "Package was mailed in City, State on Date". You should go to the post office along with the receipt and ask them to check whats going on.

Continuing on the same lines, I think this forum should come up with suggestions for the best mailing method. Maybe we should start a sticky or otherwise thread for how to mail applications.

That's the only number in the receipt,though. I've been looking up similar instances online and found out that 1) this is not an unusual occurence and 2) when USPS mailman picks up mails from other mail centers i.e. UPS stores, they don't bother to scan the barcode upon reaching their (USPS) post office, although not doing so is wrong. I am going to call the UPS Store that I mailed the package first thing in the morning and ask what's going on. It's really worrying but I'm praying that it has reached USCIS and the USPS just didn't scan it when they mailed it. I will keep you posted here.

k.ambrose,

I've just tried my article number online and it worked. (I didn't even know I could have verified delivery online, you never stop learning. :D ) I'm assuming that since it's been over a week, it should have definitely arrived. Do call USPS to find out. They owe you an answer as to what happened!

It was delivered...

Hi guys,
I called The UPS Store that I did the mailing from in Dover, DE, they also do USPS (they go to the USPS post office daily and the USPS mailman also comes in daily) and asked them to check on my package status.

Apparently,the Receipt ID can't be used to track it, according to the clerk but he did get my info and requested a check on the status (looks like the UPS people can track using name etc and date). 30 mins later an UPS rep called me and gave me the date and time it was delivered in Chicago and told me the green return receipt may take up to 2 weeks to reach me. It was delivered on 28th May (Memorial day). So I am really grateful to God that it reached there and it is such a huge relief after a very anxiety-filled weekend. Moral of the story for me: Get tracking at all cost next time. Thanks for your support, guys. I hope the checks get cashed and I get my other notices from USCIS very soon.

You had me confused there for a minute. you sent it via USPS at the UPS store... in a FedEx envelope and it was picked up by DHL? :confused:

LOL :D next time just go to the Post Office. Or send it via UPS. :)

I am glad it was delivered though. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I sent it from the UPS Store that also does USPS mailing - no Fed-Ex or DHL involved! Basically, it was shipped Priority Certified w/ Return Receipt.
Next time, it'll be UPS or USPS overnight!
Thanks, I am glad it was delivered as well.

What can brown do for you, k.ambrose? :D

Glad it arrived, but according to the USPS website, the "article number" on the certified mail label can be used to confirm delivery online. Did they not give you an article number? For me, they transferred a sticker with the article number from the certified mail form to the return receipt, and the same number is also on the certified mail receipt. Mine is of the form 7007 XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX. Since it's a UPS store, maybe they don't use the old fashioned forms? Did they just print something up? I guess the moral of the story is to send USPS certified mail from a USPS post office!

I sent in forms I-130 for my parents by regular mail to Vermont Service Center on 05-17-2007. As of today neither the checks got cashed nor did I receive an receipt from them. Is this normal? Should I get worried? Do they cash checks first and then issue a receipt or the other way around.:(