• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Using a name in DS260 that differs slightly from DV application form

einholen

Greetings,

In my country there is no such thing as a middle name, but an analog "patronymic name" is often used instead. Patronymic names are lengthy and, as far as I understand, do not match the concept of a middle name. Example: an Ivan, son of Viktor, would have a full name (given + patronymic) Ivan Viktorovich.

I specified my first name as a combination of first name and patronymic name during DV application (I also used it in the past for a B2 visa), so in 1NL they refer to me as in the example above. I'm sure it's perfectly OK to use it, however the question is, is it OK to omit it in the actual DS260? Can I specify it in "other names used" section instead? I don't want my patronymic name to appear on the green card. These are also not specified on travel documents issued in my country.

Thanks!

File your DS260 with the correct legal name. Then list the other name in the other names used.

They are both correct legal names. The longer one ("Petrov Ivan Viktorovich") is listed in national passport (only in native alphabet though - without latin transliteration), and the shorter one ("Petrov Ivan") is listed in the travel passport.

They are both correct legal names. The longer one ("Petrov Ivan Viktorovich") is listed in national passport (only in native alphabet though - without latin transliteration), and the shorter one ("Petrov Ivan") is listed in the travel passport.

"I don't want my patronymic name to appear on the green card."

So to achieve that, "Petrov Ivan" should be listed as the legal name and "Petrov Ivan Viktorovich" in other names used.