USCIS and Bush' proposal

stonewall

Registered Users (C)
Bush' proposal for legilizing illegals from January 04 is again in the news. Any thoughts about how USCIS can deal with additional 4 or 8 million applications (depending on the source for this number) for adjusting illegal workers to a legal status, given the existing legal status backlog etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reason is to get money for country

Most of the illegal people work cash job and Goverment make loss of millions of dollars in terms of taxes.
If these illegal people are legalized,goverment will get huge amount, which in turn is good for country.

As far as legal immigrants (Like us) are concerned , we are already paying taxes and after getting GC , we will not pay extra taxes.

So you know the reason.

misc_chic said:
.. and history repeats. We, the aspiring LEGAL immigrants are screwed, once again.
That is what I was suspecting - they cannot possibly process all cases (legal+illegal) at the current rate (which is slow anyway). USCIS will have to hire at least another 15000 people to deal with it to continue processing at the current rate. I don't know how will they solve that problem if and when the time comes.

Lakshya said:
Most of the illegal people work cash job and Goverment make loss of millions of dollars in terms of taxes.
If these illegal people are legalized,goverment will get huge amount, which in turn is good for country.

As far as legal immigrants (Like us) are concerned , we are already paying taxes and after getting GC , we will not pay extra taxes.

So you know the reason.

Yes - but many of them are already paying taxes (you can be illegal but you cannot run away from IRS). Somebody has to process the applications from the illegals - that is what I was wondering about - how that will affect our backlog.
As for our taxes - you do know that we do not have to pay extra taxes (as non-resident aliens) if we file as "permanent residents for tax purposes only" (see instructions at IRS web site - all you need is to file dependents for Tax Identification number).

As far as I remember from 2004 early days..., it was annouced that all illegal immigrants should show that they are employed for the last 2 years so as to file for a legal status. Illegal immigrants will not have proof of his employment and no employer will be ready to accept that he employed an illegal immigrant.

In some instances, the illegal immigrants use bogus SSN. I also heard from an American guy before that he sold his SSN and birth certificate to an illegal immigrant for cash (he told me how much he sold them for, but I forgot)...

I was quite appalled to listen to this guy, telling me this as-a-matter-of-factly...

Japanese