1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US passport with OCI or Indian Visa ?

Discussion in 'Life After Citizenship' started by anil2013, Jun 27, 2017.

1. anil2013

anil2013 New Member

Hi all,

Got naturalized few weeks back and got my US Passport. Planning to apply for renunciation of my Indian passport along with getting OCI or Visa.

I am in dilemma of which service to pick - OCI or Indian Visa ? Could someone please suggest what are the pros and cons for OCI and Visa ?

thank you,

Anil

2. cafeconleche

cafeconleche Registered Users (C)

There's been a tonne of discussion about the pros and cons. The forum is full of such threads, and a Google search will get you a lot of information.

My opinion - get OCI. It's a one-time thing and outweighs a visa in essentially every aspect - validity, length of stay, benefits, etc. The only issue is it takes a couple of months. If you need to travel to India urgently, then get a visa and do OCI later.

3. anil2013

anil2013 New Member

Thanks cafeconleche !!

How about the purchasing property or voting in India ? Can we do that with OCI ?

4. cafeconleche

5. anil2013

anil2013 New Member

Thanks again !!

And do you know how long it takes for OCI and Visa after applying ?

6. cafeconleche

It took me 1 day to get an entry visa in NY, and about 6 weeks for OCI, but that was in Frankfurt. In the US I think OCI takes a couple of months. Again, search the threads or the visa service directly: https://www.in.ckgs.us/oci/

7. anil2013

anil2013 New Member

Thanks cafeconleche !!