US Passport Recieved today

Greg Peckton

Registered Users (C)
I got my passport in mail today and am little surprised by the differences between the US passport and my former passport (former nationality)

Former passport (FP) : Issued in the name of the President of that country.
US Passport (UP) : Issued by the Secretary of State

FP : Has the full residential address w/ telephone of the applicant.
UP: No address/contact information at all

FP: Identifying marks of the person listed
UP: No Identifying marks listed.

FP: Spouse/ next of kin information
UP: Not listed in passport, but you can fill this info into passport with pencil I think.

FP: Man, that looked official.
UP: Looks, well, cheesy. The first page looks like a US VISA template and the rest of the pages are from childrens color-scrap book. My Military ID will command more respect when I travel, I bet, than my passport.

FP: Restrictions noted on the passport on where you CANNOT go without official permission.
UP: NO Restrictions at all; just warnings.

I still say this is worth it :)

Definately worth it; you have my best wishes.

BTW, I think our Paralegal/Veteran friend has been grounded by the powers that be for a while; I think he was as funny as he was obnoxious. :)

did you apply for the passport the day of oath ,or later ?
i am just trying to get some timeline and difference in cost
thank you for the reply

My advise to folks who go for Oath is NOT to apply for passport the same day as your Ceremony.

There are nearly 4000 people who show up for the ceremony..... you can end up spending 2-3 hours to get your application in. I did not apply immediately and had the immediate statisfaction of showing my certificate to my friends (which I could not have if I applied for my passport immediately; they will take the certificate)

After 2 days, I walked into the local Court house and I was the only applicant for passport that day... it is much more relaxed.

Got the passport in 12 days. And that was normal, not expedited service.

NO difference in cost. $30 to court house & $55 for Passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joef

We may be of same time line for citizenship application, I also have 2 more years to apply ( around November 2005 ) ,
Good Luck
Regards