US Passport Manufacturing Outsourced! Amazing Story!

desihai

Registered Users (C)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080326/NATION/840186493/1001

US Passport Manufacturing Outsourced. Amazing story of how corruption is prevalent in US government.
* Power Corrupts, Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
* Outsourced to Thailand, and stolen by Chinese.

What next, printing US Dollar outsourced ?

I don't listen to the mainstream news network. I don't know if they cover these news of highest national security. This is investigative jounalism, and it is great someone is doing this instead of just explaining about Britney Spears twenty third marriage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good example of a government process that doesn't have any safeguards or oversight to prevent this type of thing from happening in the first place.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080326/NATION/840186493/1001

US Passport Manufacturing Outsourced. Amazing story of how corruption is prevalent in US government.
* Power Corrupts, Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
* Outsourced to Thailand, and stolen by Chinese.

What next, printing US Dollar outsourced ?

I don't listen to the mainstream news network. I don't know if they cover these news of highest national security. This is investigative jounalism, and it is great someone is doing this instead of just explaining about Britney Spears twenty third marriage.

I wouldn't be surprised if currency printing will be outsourced sometime in the near future. After all, the USD has been on a steady decline for quite a while now, so it'll probably be cheaper to outsource it.

This is an example of media overplay. The thing that is actually outsourced is production of the plastic jacket and the blank RFID chip embedded in it. In CNN news video clip they mention the plastic jacket blanks made in Thailand and then sent to US for data uploading.

They had in the past also outsourced to China the green/black berets worn by marines. That time there was a hue and cry, and I think the deal was called off.

The economy (mainly the housing crisis) and elections are the current favorite topics, right next to the shenanigans of celebrities. Who has time for national security?? Are you kidding? If you mention national security too often, you may end up being branded as a conservative, and ostracized.

Regards.

OY

This is an example of media overplay. The thing that is actually outsourced is production of the plastic jacket and the blank RFID chip embedded in it. In CNN news video clip they mention the plastic jacket blanks made in Thailand and then sent to US for data uploading.

I just read a snippet about this last night, so don't know all the details. I agree the media might be overplaying it, but any security conscious establishment should not offshore such things. Even though it may appear harmless to the untrained eye, there are very serious security holes. The fact that it's 'just a plastic cover' or 'blank RFID chip' is used as a justification by certain vested interests/lobbies who have bigger plans. And I'm not limiting this phenomenon to passports. It has been seen in the case of several other outsourced items/services. When politicians and lobbies come in, safety and national interest go out the window.

Regards.

OY

It is sad to know that US does not have the "technology" in here to manufacture them as per the news item. Thay are not outsourcing it for the monetary reasons but technological reasons. Media these days is ready to jump on such items just like the Flight Marshall presence on flights news item.

I second that. Never seen one made in US sold at the stores prior to July 4th.

A few years ago, I went to South Street Seaport for lunch on July 3rd. A local radio station was giving out plastic U.S. flags that had "Made in China" printed in fine print in one of the corners.

It is sad to know that US does not have the "technology" in here to manufacture them as per the news item. Thay are not outsourcing it for the monetary reasons but technological reasons. Media these days is ready to jump on such items just like the Flight Marshall presence on flights news item.

Sure the U.S. has the technology. It's just that an item that would cost $6 to manufacture in the U.S. costs about 1/100th of that in China or Taiwan.

Last edited by a moderator: