US Passport application question

CrossHairs

Registered Users (C)
This is the form DS-11 for applying:
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/100004.pdf

It says 2 photos required, and the form above (pdf) shows a 2x2 square where they have 4 staple locations marked out (4 corners of the 2x2 box).

There is only one square - do I staple both photos to this single square or staple only one photo, and the other should be loosely sent with the application?

or do I just give the photos loosely without attaching to the US Postal office, and they will do "what needs to be done"

Do not do any thing with the photos - simply take them with you to the postal office. The person receiving your application will verify the likeness of the photo and then staple one to the form - while sending the other with the application for scanning.

Don't worry about photo instructions. Just give the form that you filled out, photos, certificate of naturalization, and personal check(s) to the post office/passport agency. They will take care of them. They will staple photos and certificate along with the application form after verification.

You will need to show your driver license and ssn card and maybe birth certificate just for verification purposes.

Congratulations!! Enjoy being a US citizen.

by the way, please make sure to photocopy your certificate of naturalization before you go ahead to apply for passport because they will take your original certificate along with form, photos, and check(s). They will return your original certificate in a week or later. In separate mail, you will receive a new US passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not do any thing with the photos - simply take them with you to the postal office. The person receiving your application will verify the likeness of the photo and then staple one to the form - while sending the other with the application for scanning.

One photo goes into your A file, and the other ends up stuck on the front of your Natz Cert. That in itself should be enough of an incentive to submit good photos rather than the usual ugly photo-booth stuff! :eek:

Hi boatbod,

I think they were talking about passport photos for the passport application, not the photos that go with the N-400 application :)

Hi boatbod,

I think they were talking about passport photos for the passport application, not the photos that go with the N-400 application :)

That is correct,

By the way, I hate the "Passport wizard"...what does it do when you click "Submit" - does it electronically generate an ID/Barcode printed form?

I am planning to use the "Manual" version of the online editable Adobe form, and not use the "Wizard" for filling out the passport.
WIZARD: https://pptform.state.gov/
Editable pdf form: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79955.pdf

The latter is lot more flexible and friendly.

The wizard for example does not let me put in simple things like ZIP CODE + 4 - it cuts me off when I type it in. Other minor irritants as well such as I can use open bracket '(' but cannot use close ')' - that character is invalid in the "Wizard"

Small other things: The passport form does not require you to enter certain things (such as for example if ur spouse is a USC or not). The wizard asks such questions. While harmless, I dont want to enter extraneous wizard stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is correct,

By the way, I hate the "Passport wizard"...what does it do when you click "Submit" - does it electronically generate an ID/Barcode printed form?

I am planning to use the "Manual" version of the online editable Adobe form, and not use the "Wizard" for filling out the passport.
WIZARD: https://pptform.state.gov/
Editable pdf form: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79955.pdf

The latter is lot more flexible and friendly.

The wizard for example does not let me put in simple things like ZIP CODE + 4 - it cuts me off when I type it in. Other minor irritants as well such as I can use open bracket '(' but cannot use close ')' - that character is invalid in the "Wizard"

Small other things: The passport form does not require you to enter certain things (such as for example if ur spouse is a USC or not). The wizard asks such questions. While harmless, I dont want to enter extraneous wizard stuff.

I used the wizard and prefer it, because it is informs the applicant on which fields are optional versus mandatory. For example, I didn't bother filling out the "trip details" or "emergency contact" and other fields I do not recall right now because they were optional. They don't need the +4 zip code information, and its easier to have a step by step guide that prints out a completed form at the end of the process. Also, if you have PDF software, you should be able to safe the file on your desktop for future reference.

In the end - its up to you which version you use - it will not affect your application in any way.

LolaLi / others,

I have a question - do they "generate" an ID or barcode when you go through the wizard? Meaning - do they store the information you entered in their computer system, and using the barcode they can scan and get the information easily! Voila! (I doubt it).

Versus if I send a manually filled in PDF form - then some passport office person has to "type" it into their computer system and can cause "typos" by their data entry operators etc?

If that is the case, the wizard has a distinct advantage. But does it generate a referenceable ID or barcode specially when you use the wizard?

By the way, when I meant manual - I meant the version where you can type it into the Adobe pdf on local PC. And then print it, so I will still have the pdf copy for future reference.

I am never gonna fill the application by-hand with pen except ofcourse to sign it.

i will, once i get it, in the meanwhile I would like to check this with folks who had applied :D

You just need to cruise down to the Virgin Islands, and don' t worry, take the "don't leave home without it" and celebrate man, because life is short.... :D:D:D

PS/ don't leave home without it = amex
PS/ cruise down = flight down

CrossHairs, I used the Wizard to fill out the application for me, but for the life of me, I don't remember if there was a barcode or not. Not much help, am I?:) But I do recall the application looked exactly like the DS-11 you would pick up at the post office. Since I didn't save the PDF file before taking it to the post office, I can't even double check it.

Why don't you just go ahead and fill out the application using the Wizard. After you print it, you can check to see if there is a barcode.

LolaLi / others,

I have a question - do they "generate" an ID or barcode when you go through the wizard? Meaning - do they store the information you entered in their computer system, and using the barcode they can scan and get the information easily! Voila! (I doubt it).

Versus if I send a manually filled in PDF form - then some passport office person has to "type" it into their computer system and can cause "typos" by their data entry operators etc?

If that is the case, the wizard has a distinct advantage. But does it generate a referenceable ID or barcode specially when you use the wizard?

By the way, when I meant manual - I meant the version where you can type it into the Adobe pdf on local PC. And then print it, so I will still have the pdf copy for future reference.

I am never gonna fill the application by-hand with pen except ofcourse to sign it.

Yes, it does. I saved my PDF file and verified its presence.

Takshila1,

Excellent! Thanks - this is what I was looking for as a distinct advantage.

By the way, the bigger issue is time. I havent found even 30 minutes to head out to the post office. Tied up with a zillion things to work on and tackle since last week (non-citizenship related, finally get time to do all that :)). Well, I'll get there :)

Takshila1,

Excellent! Thanks - this is what I was looking for as a distinct advantage.

By the way, the bigger issue is time. I havent found even 30 minutes to head out to the post office. Tied up with a zillion things to work on and tackle since last week (non-citizenship related, finally get time to do all that :)). Well, I'll get there :)

at my local post office, the line for passport application is rather long, almost every single time I've been down there... the wait is 20 minutes to an hour. :(

Cross posting since this board is more active, plus *this* is my HOME board where I belong :) : Provide your suggestions pls.

Is it preferable to pay using "personal check" for passport application? So you can find out that the check got encashed?

If you want to do expedite processing, will personal check slow things down, and Money order or some other financial payment is faster for processing???