ratrat

Registered Users (C)

So from other posts, here are the steps I can see:

1) At the Oath ceremony, I receive my certificate of Naturalization
2) I hand in the original certificate along with my application for US passport
3) The US passport, along with the original certificate, is sent to me
4) I have to go to the Indian Consulate (?) and surrender my Indian passport
5) My Indian passport is cancelled and returned to me

Is the Indian Consulate (or wherever I go to cancel my Indian passport) the same place where I can apply for PIO?

Has anyone applied for PIO? Is it a simple and quick process? Would you recommend it over getting a Multiple Entry Visa to India? Can you do it at the same time you go to get your Indian passport cancelled?

Thanks!

Ratrat

there was a small discussion abt this in an earlier thread.. id wait for dual cz to arrive and then decide. till then a multiple entry visitor visa is the way 2 go for me. PIO Card is a bit too expensive!

Last edited by a moderator:

From what I can see, PIO is valuable if:

1) You want to stay in India for more than 6 months at a time
2) You want to continue to own any property/investments you had as an NRI
3) You want to be able to put your children under the NRI quota for IIT/IIM

Hmm, not sure if any of it applies to me right now! :D

I saw the earlier thread, just didn't know if I should continue my PIO questions there since it was really a Pittsburgh timeline thread... :p

Ratrat

I think PIO card is also valuable over a business visa
in case if you want to work
or do business in India till dual cz is announced.

Cheers
BB :)

Silly me, I clicked the "Search this forum" option instead of the "Search" option...

How are things going with your application - any updates?

Ratrat

PIO card and dual citizenship

I'm a GC holder and I got a PIO card for my daughter. its fast. i got it in 3 weeks.
If you are a citizen of US, can't we keep indian citizenship ? Indian Govt has passed the law for dual citizenship. what does that mean ?

any inputs ???

rm_72756 said:
I'm a GC holder and I got a PIO card for my daughter. its fast. i got it in 3 weeks. If you are a citizen of US, can't we keep indian citizenship ? Indian Govt has passed the law for dual citizenship. what does that mean ?
any inputs ???
The dual citizenship act was passed some time ago. But the implementation details are being worked out. With the change in Govt. in India, this may be of lower priority for the time being. I think the dual citizenship is not much different from PIO in terms of benefits. But the dual citizenship may cause some problems (like allegiance). I became a citizen recently and I am going to get PIO card which is good enough without the attendant problems. I think there was a thread on this in this forum.

ratrat said:
Is the Indian Consulate (or wherever I go to cancel my Indian passport) the same place where I can apply for PIO?

Has anyone applied for PIO? Is it a simple and quick process? Would you recommend it over getting a Multiple Entry Visa to India? Can you do it at the same time you go to get your Indian passport cancelled?
Hi, I got my PIO from consulate, and then they wanted my Indian passport, and returned cancelled passport with PIO. Takes around 4 weeks.

I agree with Rahul, PIO is not worth it. PIO is ok, if you intend to do business, and go for trips longer than six months. In the benefits section of consulate website says, separate line for PIOs. It is not true at least in Mumbai.

What if you just kept quiet about your US citizenship and did not surrender your Indian passport? Not legal granted, but who or how would 'they' know?

Jitender said:
What if you just kept quiet about your US citizenship and did not surrender your Indian passport? Not legal granted, but who or how would 'they' know?

You may run into problems when you travel to India, including getting arrested and prosecuted.

Jitender said:
I do not believe in breaking law. I am sure you don't too. You may be just curious. May be there is a way to do that? But, I don't see what will one gain by doing this.

--
For those waiting to pick on, I have broken laws sometimes, when I went over speed limit.. I agree I am not perfect ;)

sssnayak said:
Hi, I got my PIO from consulate, and then they wanted my Indian passport, and returned cancelled passport with PIO. Takes around 4 weeks.

I agree with Rahul, PIO is not worth it. PIO is ok, if you intend to do business, and go for trips longer than six months. In the benefits section of consulate website says, separate line for PIOs. It is not true at least in Mumbai.

Hi Sssnayak,

I am in the process of applying for PIO at SFO, CA.
Could you tell me what document you sent with the application
to prove the address in India.
In the instructions they say we need to attach a proof of address
in India.

Thanks much,
BB600 :)

It was long time ago. As far as address proof, I remember them saying my old passport is good enough. They were good in handling that. But, they wanted my wife's passport number, which was not mentioned in their instructions. I tried to reason with them that it is for me not for my wife. Still the lady at the counter was very anal about it. I could not understand rationale, but, finally called my wife and got the number and gave it to them. Hope this helps.

sssnayak said:
It was long time ago. As far as address proof, I remember them saying my old passport is good enough. They were good in handling that. But, they wanted my wife's passport number, which was not mentioned in their instructions. I tried to reason with them that it is for me not for my wife. Still the lady at the counter was very anal about it. I could not understand rationale, but, finally called my wife and got the number and gave it to them. Hope this helps.

Thanks Sssnayak. I'll be including my old passport and a copy
of my wife's old passport for that purpose.
BB600 :)

chanakya101 said:
The dual citizenship act was passed some time ago. But the implementation details are being worked out. With the change in Govt. in India, this may be of lower priority for the time being.

When I went to my Oath Ceremony today (to be posted shortly) they said that "USA does not formally recognize Dual Citizenship". So even if India did work out the implementation of it, would it be illegal to carry an Indian passport because the US Oath clearly states that you have to "renounce allegiance to all other states and soverignties"?

Thoughts?

Ratrat