US Green Card

windsorguy2003

Registered Users (C)
Can someone tell me approx how long would it take to process the US Green card if someone was to start today?.....just a rough estimate.....is this a good time to apply for your green card?

Depends on which service center your I-140/I-485 will be filed.
could take anywhere from 18months to 36months :(

Go for CP!! You can go to Montreal since your live in Canada.

I think I will have my Canadian passport before INS adjudicates my I-485 :mad:

windsorguy,

how much time is remaining on your H1 visas. If you are coming to end your 6 years then better apply for LC right away, so that you can be elligible for 7th year extension.

by the way from which state you are going to process your LC. i know few states which are taking very long time to process LC.

thanks for that informative reply Ray S.......my processing center would be Nebraska if I choose to apply.... As far as I know labor in michigan takes a year! plus 3 months for federal labor clearance....wonder if this is a good time to apply with unemployment at its peak?

Apply as soon as you can. Till the economy goes back into boom DOL will not entertain RIR LC's. As Ray.S mentioned, if you want you can wait for DOL to release the PREM regulations.

windsorguy,
Just to share my case, i got my RIR labor approved early this month. It took about 5 months, most of the time was taken by the federal DOL bcoz of backlog as the state just took hardly 3 weeks to forward my case to DOL in Philly.
If you live in canada then CP is the best option for you although after the introduction of simultanious filing of I140/I485 the significance of CP is diminishing if one lives in the US I also heard that a person with a pending AOS for more that 180 days can go for ACP after getting I140 approval provided the consulate abroad is accepting ACP.

Ok guys I have few confusions if some one can clear that...

Now I have to file for I140 & I485, I also have been a Ca PR for over 3 years but never settled down there just have been visitting there time to time. My question is do I need to include those stays in Canada of few days in each visit, in AOS application ? How that can effect my case in either way, one more thing I dont have current H1b visa sticker in my passport (the old one expired 3 years ago) and have been using Ca Landing paper for travelling intead of visa.

Is it safe to travel to Canada and come back usin AP (especially after March 17th). Somebody mentioned in these forum that INS give hard time and force to give up one either AP or Ca PR. My understanding is AOS is not a US GC status, an application can still be refused by INS then what a person will do if he had already given up Ca PR ? :(

Vault, how long your I485 is pending ?

regards

ok I am confused now.....what's PERM processing?.....Is it better than RIR?.....I mean should I wait for the DOL to finalize the PERM thing?.....where can I find more information about PERM...."truenblue"....which processing center did you apply to? Nebraska/Vermont?....just curious

Originally posted by truenblue
windsorguy,
Just to share my case, i got my RIR labor approved early this month. It took about 5 months, most of the time was taken by the federal DOL bcoz of backlog as the state just took hardly 3 weeks to forward my case to DOL in Philly.
If you live in canada then CP is the best option for you although after the introduction of simultanious filing of I140/I485 the significance of CP is diminishing if one lives in the US I also heard that a person with a pending AOS for more that 180 days can go for ACP after getting I140 approval provided the consulate abroad is accepting ACP.

Ok guys I have few confusions if some one can clear that...

Now I have to file for I140 & I485, I also have been a Ca PR for over 3 years but never settled down there just have been visitting there time to time. My question is do I need to include those stays in Canada of few days in each visit, in AOS application ? How that can effect my case in either way, one more thing I dont have current H1b visa sticker in my passport (the old one expired 3 years ago) and have been using Ca Landing paper for travelling intead of visa.

When filling out the 235A make sure you put each and every address. Dosen's matter wether it is India, Canada, Japan, Russia...... I will not mess round with this. If you don't discolse it , and INS finds out at a later date, you will be peanilized for document fraud and your GC will be revoked. In short don't F*** around with INS and IRS.

Is it safe to travel to Canada and come back usin AP (especially after March 17th). Somebody mentioned in these forum that INS give hard time and force to give up one either AP or Ca PR. My understanding is AOS is not a US GC status, an application can still be refused by INS then what a person will do if he had already given up Ca PR ? :(

Yes, if you go through the AOS, one's application can be denied. If one dosen't have any immigration violations then there is nothing to worry about. In regards to travelling on AP, hopefully there shouldn;t be any problems. I have seen people enter the US without any problems, and some have been sent for secondary inspection, and have been bothered. Why don;t you go for your 6th year H-1B extension? If you are already in your 6th year, why not go for 7th year extension like me? :=)

Vault, how long your I485 is pending ?
Been pending for 10 months now. I was also told by the IIO, that it will take another additional 8-11months, before my case is adjudicated. I hope it gets delayed for another 2 years!! that way I can apply and get my Canadian Citizenship and don't have to forgoe my Canadian PR :=)

regards

windsorguy,
...."truenblue"....which processing center did you apply to? Nebraska/Vermont?....just curious

You are mixing up INS service centres with DOL. Nebraska/Vermont are INS service centres for I140 & I485 etc processing. Labor(LCA) is first processed at state labor dept. then is forwarded to regional federal labor office for their approval. My federal DOL office was Philadelphia/PA and INS service centre would be Vermont.

Vault,
Thanks for reply.

When filling out the 235A make sure you put each and every address. Dosen's matter wether it is India, Canada, Japan, Russia...... I will not mess round with this. If you don't discolse it , and INS finds out at a later date, you will be peanilized for document fraud and your GC will be revoked. In short don't F*** around with INS and IRS

<So it means one needs to mention all addresses in G-325A, even if stayed for few days at any address. ok>

**Yes, if you go through the AOS, one's application can be denied. If one dosen't have any immigration violations then there is nothing to worry about. In regards to travelling on AP, hopefully there shouldn;t be any problems. I have seen people enter the US without any problems, and some have been sent for secondary inspection, and have been bothered. Why don;t you go for your 6th year H-1B extension? If you are already in your 6th year, why not go for 7th year extension like me? :=)

<I would certainly prefer to go for 6th year H1B over EAD but the actual concern is visa, which is not easy to get now a days and the only alternative is AP.>

regards