• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

US Goverment are shutting down DV Lottery? :O :(

AldoBlack

I heard that the US goverment are gathering together today to decide if they are going to shut down DV Lottery program or not.
Is this true? Any information?

I heard that the US goverment are gathering together today to decide if they are going to shut down DV Lottery program or not.
Is this true? Any information?

You mean all the branches of US government? Probably not. :)

It's the immigration bill, and it has a long way to go. Nothing will happen to DV2014. If they can't get it done by the end of the year, I'd say DV2015 is safe too.

You mean all the branches of US government? Probably not. :)

It's the immigration bill, and it has a long way to go. Nothing will happen to DV2014. If they can't get it done by the end of the year, I'd say DV2015 is safe too.

I too think that DV 2015 is safe because it is a loooooong way befor the bill come into effect (if voted) and since Democrats and Republicans are divided on immigration (epscialy about the path to citizenship of 11M illegals...) I find it unlikely that they even reach an agreement

This is the draft bill
http://www.schumer.senate.gov/forms/immigration.pdf

Check p274 for DV related.

If enacted it will be effective only from 10.1.2014

Which means registration (eDV) for DV 15 at the end of 2013 WILL BE held (if not halted by some other interim measure in congress), and most probably DV15 winners will be the last of the DV ilk, just as the draft says.

Best!

PS:
.........An alien who receives a notification from the Secretary that the alien was selected to receive a diversity immigrant visa under section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(c)) for fiscal year 2013 or fiscal year 2014 shall remain eligible to receive such visa under the rules of such section, as in effect on September 30, 2014. No alien may be allocated such a diversity immigrant visa for a fiscal year after fiscal year 2015.

IMO, the word 'for' there is meaningless if effective from 10.1.2014. I think it should be 'in', providing the go ahead for DV 15 winners. Talking about visas 'for' FY 13 and 14 is a mute point here if the law is from 10.1.14, which is the first day of FY '15!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else giggle at the word "alien" or is it just me? I keep thinking of that horrible beast that burst through people's stomachs in those great sci-fi movies. The term seems so out of place in a discussion of immigration.

My understanding is that that no visa can be issued for selectees in a fiscal year after 2015. That means DV2015 folks can be selected but won't get visa. Therefore I think DV2014 (fiscal year 2014) is the last year as there is no point of selecting folks if they can't be issued with the visa.

However, folks this is not the first bill to kill DV and our republican friends who as we know don't like DV will this time work for us and try to dismiss the whole bill because of other more controversial bits in it (e.g. path to citizenship for illegals as it's currently drafted etc.).

My understanding is that that no visa can be issued for selectees in a fiscal year after 2015. That means DV2015 folks can be selected but won't get visa. Therefore I think DV2014 (fiscal year 2014) is the last year as there is no point of selecting folks if they can't be issued with the visa.

However, folks this is not the first bill to kill DV and our republican friends who as we know don't like DV will this time work for us and try to dismiss the whole bill because of other more controversial bits in it (e.g. path to citizenship for illegals as it's currently drafted etc.).

yes.i think so too.but as it is lets wait and see.they may as well have other good options

so far, democrats defended DV Lottery every time, right now, situation has changed. Democrats admit that DV Lottery is a matter of past...they "traded" it...
The only hope for Lottery is that GOP will "destroy" the whole bill like they did it with gun control law. But the situation was different because they had strong weapon lobby on their side, right now almost everyone in US wan't to have a new immigration law so the chances for proceeding dv2015 winners are really slim...lottery fans need a miracle...

right now almost everyone in US wan't to have a new immigration law so the chances for proceeding dv2015 winners are really slim...lottery fans need a miracle...

Not so true, a lot of people do not want to see 11 millions illegals being given the path to citizenship. and lot of legal immigrant think it is unfair...
The senate is democrat so of course they will approve that but the camber is an another story

It means that we could have dv2015 application process and maybe announcement of results in May 2014 but nobody will be proceeded from dv2015 winners in 2015 fiscal year(from 1 Oct 2014). So the DV2014 was the last edition of lottery.

Winners 'FOR' FY15 are selected 'IN' FY 14!
AFTER FY 15 means from 10-1-15.
DV 15 WILL BE safe!

Best!

I liked DV Lottery because I've seen and I know people that have master degree for a good profession but they were poor because in the country where they lived to win a job you must have a lot of friends and you have to give a lot of money.
And if you want to pass the exams in university you have to give money for each subject to pass.
I am just giving one of the thousand examples. I'm talking about ALBANIA. It is in the top 10th most corrupted country in the world and it is very poor country. How are we supposed to immigrate on U.S.A. when we barely finish our school because of corrupted professors. :(

I hope the US Government doesn't approve the cancellation on DV Lottery. :(

The only thing that has left for us and the other poor countries is luck and they are taking this from us. :'(

IMO;

- The draft bill is envisaged to be affective from 10.1.14
- Per current law DoS 'MUST' carry out eDV and lottery picks (for DV'15) during FY14, as usual.
- The para I mentioned earlier, in the draft bill (though wording is meaningless and messed up), 'seems' there to protect the DV15 winners because there is no way to stop the actions related to DV15 during FY 14.
- DV 15 will be safe and will be held and conclude as usual.

IMHO;

- Partisan politics in US is getting messy and WILL get more and more murky leading upto 2014 mid term & 2016 gen. elections.
- Imm. reforms is a 'sore fruit' GoP wants to keep and see getting rot and smellier for their 'strategic' advantage.
- Draft bill/s will not be passed anytime during FY 14 or 15.
- DV program will be safe for few more years to come sans any non-partisan, targeted interim measure to abolish it.

Best!

here is an explanation what will happen with lottery...

http://www.examiner.com/article/sena...n-card-lottery

[...]but it eliminates the Green Card Lottery. Specifically, the repeal of the lottery takes effect October 1, 2014. Page 275 reads as follows:

An alien who receives a notification from the Secretary that the alien was selected to receive a diversity immigrant visa under 21 section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(c)) for fiscal year 2013 or fiscal year 2014 shall remain eligible to receive such visa under the rules of such section, as in effect on September 30, 2014.

Some interpret this to mean the lottery would be eliminated beginning with the calendar year 2014 lottery since registrants in the upcoming lottery in October 2013 ("DV-2015") will receive notification they will be selected for further processing in May 2014, which is well within the September 30, 2014 cut off.

However, another interpretation is that since the 100,000 initial selectees will not be interviewed for the 55,000 available visas until October 1, 2014 (at the very earliest), therefore, no actual selection will have been made. If this interpretation is correct, then last year’s 2012 lottery ("DV-2014") was the last year of the lottery. Hopefully, clarification will be forthcoming[...].

hope it helps, its not mine explanation it is from article...

.........An alien who receives a notification from the Secretary that the alien was selected to receive a diversity immigrant visa under section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(c)) for fiscal year 2013 or fiscal year 2014 shall remain eligible to receive such visa under the rules of such section, as in effect on September 30, 2014. No alien may be allocated such a diversity immigrant visa for a fiscal year after fiscal year 2015.

I, too, think that the wording is meaningless and messed up. When I first read it in the draft I thought somebody totally clueless about DV wrote this. Fiscal year 2015 ends in September 30, 2015, so DV2015 would be safe, but they don't mention DV2015, they only mention DV2013 and DV2014 which would be over looong before September 30, 2015. They could simply say there won't be a DV2015 but that would be easy :rolleyes:

"No alien may be allocated such a diversity immigrant visa for a fiscal year after fiscal year 2015."
that says everything... DV 2015 is safe but after that... We just need to see if the chamber approve this bill

From my understanding is that "no dv visas will be issued after fiscal 2015." This means that dv2015 is safe because dv2015 visas will be issued during fiscal year 2015 (october 1, 2014 to september 30, 2015). After fiscal year 2015 means that no visas will be issued for dv2016 because fiscal year 2016 begins october 1, 2015 and ends september 30, 2016.