US Citizenship throgh sister

durga2880

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My sister, 33 yrs old, got her US citizenship some 10 days back. I came to know from USCIS site that, US citizens can sponsor to their brothers and sisters. Am currently on H4 with my husband who is on H1 and we both are staying in US since two years. I have a few questions to know about:

Can I apply now for citizenship through my sister?If so, how?
How long it might take to get Greencard (atleast a guess period)?
Can my husband also apply along with me or no?

Thanks in advance,
Durga.

It will take you several years to get a green card (not citizenship!) with a US citizen sister as a sponsor. There are only a limited number of such visas available and currently the backlog is about 10 years for people from India (this means those who applied in year 2000 are now getting ready to receive a green card). This category is called the Family 4th Preference category.
Another point to note is that simply making an application does not allow you to stay in the US - you are expected to be in a separate valid non-immigrant status like H4 if you continue to live in the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

My sister, 33 yrs old, got her US citizenship some 10 days back. I came to know from USCIS site that, US citizens can sponsor to their brothers and sisters. Am currently on H4 with my husband who is on H1 and we both are staying in US since two years. I have a few questions to know about:

Can I apply now for citizenship through my sister?If so, how?
How long it might take to get Greencard (atleast a guess period)?
Can my husband also apply along with me or no?

Thanks in advance,
Durga.

No, she can petition you for a green card not citizenship!
12-15 years
No, your sister can only file a petition for you(I-130)

You and your husband can only apply for green card throught your sister,not citizenship. It takes 10-12 years, if the process does not slow down...

Thanks for the prompt reply. But 10years is too long.
If my husband applies directly for GC, how much time it might take to get an EAD atleast, and for GC as well.
And also as we are staying here since 2yrs, are we eligible to apply for a GC?

If my husband applies directly for GC, how much time it might take to get an EAD atleast, and for GC as well.

It depends on how you apply for GC. It can be family based (sponsoired by yoru sister), employment-based etc.

Typically in employment based GC, sponsor of GC is also the sponsor of H1B visa. So ask your husband
to consult his employer to see if the employer want to sponsor or not.

Employment based green cards are also subject to annual quotas. If your husband has the option of filing for GC thru employment, he can get it in 0-5 years depending on his qualifications and job requirement. Getting EAD will also take similar time. Length of stay in US has no effect on one's ability to get GC.

But my husband's company dont process GC.
Is there any other option for applying GC?

Not really, only family, diversity lotto, employment, aslym. U.S. doesn't give much options for green cards. Your best bet is through your sister, but you have to return to your home country for prob 10 years!

Perhaps he can change employers to one who will process the green card. Most companies don't process GCs due to the cost involved, so if that is the case with his current company, your husband can offer to pay for the process himself.

Have your husband talk to the HR and you should have the knowledge what is involved or better get a lawyer. Most of the company's HR doesn't know anything about immigration process.

You should find more info about GC in GC forum.