1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

US citizen sponsoring an under 21 son living in USA

Discussion in 'Family Based Green Card -Through Marriage/Relative' started by riseb1, Mar 22, 2012.

1. riseb1

riseb1 Registered Users (C)

I need help with the forms I need to complete for my son who is under 21 and actually living in USA since January. He has his I-94 valid until Jun 12.

Here are my questions.

1. Since he is living in USA, do I need to complete I-130 with I-485 at the same time?

2. Form I-130 part D question 2 “have you ever filed a petition for this or any other alien?” I filed a petition for my mom. After my mom case was approved in 2008, she filed a petition for my brother. In my brother case, I was a co-sponsor because my mom does not work. This case was approved on Jan of 2012. Do I need to mention my brother case here, even if I did not filed his petition?

3. Form I-485 Instructions, part 7 Medical examination.
    Part A said “Include medical examination….” How and where my son can take the examination? Is there any form that needs to be completed? Do we need to submit this with I-485?

4. Form I-485 Instructions, part 10 and 11
    Do I need to submit forms G-325A (Biographic form) and I-864 (Affidavit of support) at the same time with I-485?

Thanks in advance for your help!!
  2. BigJoe5

BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

1. YES, it is a concurrent filing.

2. Report mom's I-130

3. https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV find a civil surgeon

4. Yes, include the forms. The I-864 is where you report about your pledge of support for your mom and brother. [This assumes that your brother has actually immigrated or is in the process; that is--you actually filed the I-864 or I-864A already.]
  3. riseb1

riseb1 Registered Users (C)

Bigjoe5

First, thank you very much for your help.

Can you clarify your aswer in question 2.

Do I have to mention only my mom's case? or I have to metion my brother case as well even it I did not filed his petition but I was his co-sponsor?
  4. BigJoe5

BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

You did NOT co-sponsor his I-130. You said that Mom PETITIONED for him on an I-130. Did YOU simultaneously file another separate I-130 for him as the sibling of a USC? If yes, that would mean that you would have to list him as someone that YOU filed an I-130 for.

You said that you have agreed to be a financial co-sponsor in regard to mom's insufficient I-864 when the time comes for that. [You likely have not actually filed any I-864 for your brother yet.]

Also, if your son is a minor and attains the LPR status before reaching 18, he would most likely become an "instant citizen" [if otherwise eligible] and any I-864 for him becomes irrelevant. IF he will not become an instant citizen, then your other financial obligations come into play for your son's I-864. [That means that your mom and EVERYONE else that you have agreed to help financially, and ACTUALLY submitted the I-864 forms for, counts against your income to dependent ratio with regard to additional I-864s as per the current minimums listed on form I-864P.]