US citizen parents sponsoring over 21 son..

Here you go, lets clear this FB1 backlog a little bit. Come on guys propose to your girlfriends everyone.

By the way, Ultron, are you applying for residencies this september? Do you know if you are required to declare your immigration status on the application right away or after the match?

I give up; I'll just marry a USC!

Well...assuming I have a gf and assuming I have time/money for a gf (I have neither :rolleyes:). Yes, a visa status is required for a residency, which, fortunately, I'll begin in July 2011.

Addition: The hospital will issue J1 visas to foreign doctors who are accepted to a residency during a MATCH. Yes, a successful MATCH is required because the hospital will issue a letter of sponsorship that the doctor can show to the US consulate in his/her country. Of course, visa status is required on the MATCH application.

ULTRON

Here you go, lets clear this FB1 backlog a little bit. Come on guys propose to your girlfriends everyone.

By the way, Ultron, are you applying for residencies this september? Do you know if you are required to declare your immigration status on the application right away or after the match?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, for some reason I thought you were almost done with medschool or I guess you were doing premed then and just started medschool this year. No worries for you then since you are definitely going to get your GC before application in 2010.

Yes, a visa status is required for a residency, which, fortunately, I'll begin in July 2011.

ULTRON

ULTRON, just out of curiosity, isn't most of medical schools in the US requires at at least a green card to get in?

Yes they do. I got in the undergrad program back in 1999 when I had the EAD. My EAD expired and my school didn't really care because I still use my drivers licence and SS #.

However, post-911, they're getting stricter, so my case was exceptional.

ULTRON

ULTRON, just out of curiosity, isn't most of medical schools in the US requires at at least a green card to get in?

Yes they do. I got in the undergrad program back in 1999 when I had the EAD. My EAD expired and my school didn't really care because I still use my drivers licence and SS #.

However, post-911, they're getting stricter, so my case was exceptional.

ULTRON

Out of curosity, you don't have student visa and your EAD is expired. Did you discuss it with your lawyer as we need to maintain some sort of visa status on our own to qualify for AOS as we are not immediate relatives.
I guess you are covered by 245i.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, my lawyer said that a student visa cannot be issued with I130 pending and expired EAD. My school, which is a private school, didn't care. They just need the $50,000 a year fees, so I never bothered.

ULTRON

Out of curosity, you don't have student visa and your EAD is expired. Did you discuss it with your lawyer as we need to maintain some sort of visa status on our own to qualify for AOS as we are not immediate relatives.
I guess you are you covered by 245i.

Hi everyone!! My F3 PD is Sept 2007 on CP (Sao Paulo) ... so 8-10 years ahead to wait.. now I´m trying to decide what to do, to go to US sooner. I have a good business in my country (Brazil) so maybe I´ll start a branch in US and try L1A for myself. If anybody know anything about this please send me a link please.

Do you think there is any chance that this backlog on Family Based GC end in the future? Like a law change or something? Or things can only get worst? My father is a US born citizen and it´s just terrible that I as a son have to wait that long to a GC!

Hi, if your father is a u.s. born citizen aren't you a citizen by default?

He came to Brazil when he was 7, so according to the law he can´t pass the citizenship to us (he didn´t live in US 5 years after 14 I think or something like that). My younger brother became citizen but through my grandparents before 18 years. My sister and I unfortunately lost this opportunity.

Yes, you have a long wait ahead - possibly more than 10 years. My PD is 4/2002 which were "good times," but now, things are looking different.

ULTRON

Hi everyone!! My F3 PD is Sept 2007 on CP (Sao Paulo) ... so 8-10 years ahead to wait.. now I´m trying to decide what to do, to go to US sooner. I have a good business in my country (Brazil) so maybe I´ll start a branch in US and try L1A for myself. If anybody know anything about this please send me a link please.

Do you think there is any chance that this backlog on Family Based GC end in the future? Like a law change or something? Or things can only get worst? My father is a US born citizen and it´s just terrible that I as a son have to wait that long to a GC!

I don't think these bills will have any effect. One of these bills is regarding recapture of visa numbers, but we know that visa loss in FB categories is not as big as employment based.
Slow movement of cutoff dates is due to two reason, I beleive.
1) End of fiscal year.
2) Pending AOS cases based on 245i. Last year dates moved from 22 April 2001 to May 1 2001 and then continued moving. We thought that 245i has cleared now, but we forgot that for AOS cases unlike counsal process visa numbers are not ordered untill AOS is approved. And the processing time for 485 is atleast a year or even more, so the cases filed in the last week of 245i period are still pending, don't know how many, but 245i is not completely gone for sure.
We might see some decent movement after sept.

Recapture of unused visas

I found the text of Zoe Lofgren's Bill 5882. I think if this bill gets passed we will see decent advancement of PDs. The question is how the recaptured visas will be allocated.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.5882:

(b) Worldwide Level of Family-Sponsored Immigrants- Section 201(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1151(c)) is amended to read as follows:

`(c) Worldwide Level of Family-Sponsored Immigrants-

`(1) IN GENERAL-

`(A) BASE LEVEL- Subject to subparagraph (B), the worldwide level of family-sponsored immigrants under this subsection for a fiscal year is equal to--

`(i) 480,000 minus the number computed under paragraph (2); plus

`(ii) the sum of the number computed under paragraph (3) and the number computed under paragraph (4).

`(B) MINIMUM- In no case shall the number computed under subparagraph (A) be less than 226,000.

`(2) NUMBER OF CERTAIN ALIENS NOT SUBJECT TO DIRECT NUMERICAL LIMITATIONS- The number computed under this paragraph for a fiscal year is the number of aliens described in subparagraph (A) or (B) of subsection (b)(2) who were issued immigrant visas, or who otherwise acquired the status of an alien lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence, in the previous fiscal year.

`(3) UNUSED VISA NUMBERS FROM PREVIOUS FISCAL YEAR- The number computed under this paragraph for a fiscal year is the difference, if any, between--

`(A) the worldwide level established under paragraph (1) for the previous fiscal year; and

`(B) the number of visas actually issued under section 203(a), subject to this subsection, during the previous fiscal year.

`(4) UNUSED VISA NUMBERS FROM FISCAL YEARS 1992 THROUGH 2007- The number computed under this paragraph is the difference, if any, between--

`(A) the difference, if any, between--

`(i) the sum of the worldwide levels established under paragraph (1) for fiscal years 1992 through 2007; and

`(ii) the number of visas actually issued under section 203(a), subject to this subsection, during such fiscal years; and

`(B) the number of visas actually issued after fiscal year 2007 pursuant to an immigrant visa number issued under section 203(a), subject to this subsection, during fiscal years 1992 through 2007.'.

I heard during the house hearing on immigration (i posted the link earlier) that the majority of visas will be recovered under employment categories since that's where the most losses occurred. They mentioned 95,000 as the number that would be recovered under all family categories, so maybe 6 month movement in PDs??? I am not sure how accurate those numbers are. But again it all depends on how many people are waiting in line, the number that is the most elusive. I wonder if it would be possible to FOIA NVC to at least find out how many are waiting for consular processing and that should be the majority of cases.

Ultron, my younger sister and brother were both able to get F1 visas (at a consulate) despite the fact they had I-130s approved. Their priority date was Jan01 and they got the visas in August 2001 and August 2003. I guess it was just God's favor. They both have their greencards now (AOS from F1 to perm resident).

Ultron, my younger sister and brother were both able to get F1 visas (at a consulate) despite the fact they had I-130s approved. Their priority date was Jan01 and they got the visas in August 2001 and August 2003. I guess it was just God's favor. They both have their greencards now (AOS from F1 to perm resident).

I got my F1 in 2005 after 2.5 years of pending I130. They probably knew that it was going to take forever for PD to become current, so "immigrant intent" was not going to be obvious for years.

Do you mind sharing how long it took your siblings to get a GC after filing AOS?

Folks,

I have finally filed for AOS. You can see my progress in my signature. I will update each step as things move along.

I got my F1 in 2005 after 2.5 years of pending I130. They probably knew that it was going to take forever for PD to become current, so "immigrant intent" was not going to be obvious for years.

Do you mind sharing how long it took your siblings to get a GC after filing AOS?

I believe it took them about a year or less from the time they filed their I-485 to get their green cards.