US citizen parents sponsoring over 21 son..

U.s. Immigration Policy: Family Reunification

This is an interesting summary of family-based immigration:

http://linkspiders.com/laws411/pdf/ins_report.pdf

"Because the number of applicants in each preference category annually far exceeds available quotas, a cumulative backlog has grown to mind-boggling proportions in each category. By 1997, the last year for which reliable figures were found, backlogs totaled an estimated 3,535,430 cases of approved family-based petitions, including 1,252,270 spouses and minor children of legal permanent residents."

Kaunas, have you heard some thing from NVC. If my memory aids me correctly your FB3 PD was some where in June/July 2000

Hi, everyone!
I got mail from NVC with choice of agent form. My PD is July 18 , so , I think, it is a good news for all of us, wright?
My question is about documents now. I am supporting family of 3 , so My lawyer's paralegal told me, that we need to send to NVC ORIGINALS of all 3 birth certificates and marriage cert. plus translations. I am kind of afraid.
Have you, guys, heard of such of things?

Great news! I thought NVC sends choice of agent approximately 9 months before visa number is anticipated to be available. I guess it is more like 2 months. Hopefully it keeps moving a month per month and maybe all of us here can adjust/cp this year?

I am not sure about documents you should send to NVC, you can check other forums like http://familybasedimmigration.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2301

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi, everyone!
I got mail from NVC with choice of agent form. My PD is July 18 , so , I think, it is a good news for all of us, wright?
My question is about documents now. I am supporting family of 3 , so My lawyer's paralegal told me, that we need to send to NVC ORIGINALS of all 3 birth certificates and marriage cert. plus translations. I am kind of afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, everyone!
congratulations kaunas
Keep us updated as you send/receive forms.

Greetings everyone,

It was very nice to find a group of people in similar situations as mine. I'm in the F1 category with a PD of 10/2002. My I-130 was approved in April 2007. I'm waiting for my PD to become current and then will submit the AoS.

Hi, welcome! There are a few of us here with very similar PDs. Mine is 11/2002 so a little behind you in line and I130 was approved in May 2007.

Have you received any documents from NVC, like choice of agent form or affidavit of support?

Greetings everyone,

It was very nice to find a group of people in similar situations as mine. I'm in the F1 category with a PD of 10/2002. My I-130 was approved in April 2007. I'm waiting for my PD to become current and then will submit the AoS.

Upgrading the 2b to F1

I a GC holder, filed form I-130 in 2003 for my Unmarried daughter >21 age, Now as I may be getting the US Citizenship in July 08 , so at this stage do I need to write to USCIS about change in my staus and request them to upgarde the category or there is a form to be filled up. Or will they upgrade automatically?

Hi, I believe the conversion in automatic. But just in case we upgraded my case after it was transferred to NVC and my mother became a citizen. NVC then sent me a letter stating that my case had been upgraded to FB1.
I attached a sample upgrade letter earlier in this thread. Once you become a citizen you can send an upgrade letter right away(this is what I chose to do) or just wait for your priority date to become current in FB1 and file AOS with a copy of citizenship certificate and upgrade letter attached.

Has your i130 been approved and was it transferred to NVC? When did you file for citizenship? Not to scare you or anything but it took more than two years for my mom to get hers.

I a GC holder, filed form I-130 in 2003 for my Unmarried daughter >21 age, Now as I may be getting the US Citizenship in July 08 , so at this stage do I need to write to USCIS about change in my staus and request them to upgarde the category or there is a form to be filled up. Or will they upgrade automatically?

Hi, welcome! There are a few of us here with very similar PDs. Mine is 11/2002 so a little behind you in line and I130 was approved in May 2007.

Have you received any documents from NVC, like choice of agent form or affidavit of support?

Thanks Mermaid06. I haven't received either document as you mentioned. Since I'm residing in the U.S. on H1B I think all I need to do is to submit the AOS and other supporting forms/documents when my PD becomes current.

Hi, I believe the conversion in automatic. But just in case we upgraded my case after it was transferred to NVC and my mother became a citizen. NVC then sent me a letter stating that my case had been upgraded to FB1.
I attached a sample upgrade letter earlier in this thread. Once you become a citizen you can send an upgrade letter right away(this is what I chose to do) or just wait for your priority date to become current in FB1 and file AOS with a copy of citizenship certificate and upgrade letter attached.

Has your i130 been approved and was it transferred to NVC? When did you file for citizenship? Not to scare you or anything but it took more than two years for my mom to get hers.

I agree with Mermaid06. I would initiate the upgrade process as early as possible rather than waiting till the PD becomes current.

In my case my upgrade happened before I-130(filed as F2B) was approved and the upgrade process took several months. The good thing is that my I-130 approval notice indicates that I'm in the F1 category rather than the F2B as originally petitioned.

Good luck SUN51.

Welcome to the crowd!

Greetings everyone,

Okay, I called USCIS today, and explained to them that I have sent my upgrade package to vermont center (naturalization certificate, etc). And ask them why they never sent anything back. The lady over the phone told me they were not going to send any thing and she told me once Vermont receives the letter, they'll upgrade it in their computer system and no letter or notification gets sent. All I have to do is to just to send in my I485 once my priority date becomes current. She said my case should have been upgraded (she statement was very blunt, I can't confirm from her whether it shows in their record it has been upgrade from F2B to F1).

Anyway, the point is the system is very very bad for the applicants. If you don't send back any notification or letter after approval of upgrade, then how the hell do I know it has been upgraded.

Does this make sense to anybody, do you guys think I should call them again to make sure what she said was true. I didn't receive anything saying I have been upgraded, I am feeling it's still in the air.

Okay, I called USCIS today, and explained to them that I have sent my upgrade package to vermont center (naturalization certificate, etc). And ask them why they never sent anything back. The lady over the phone told me they were not going to send any thing and she told me once Vermont receives the letter, they'll upgrade it in their computer system and no letter or notification gets sent. All I have to do is to just to send in my I485 once my priority date becomes current. She said my case should have been upgraded (she statement was very blunt, I can't confirm from her whether it shows in their record it has been upgrade from F2B to F1).

Anyway, the point is the system is very very bad for the applicants. If you don't send back any notification or letter after approval of upgrade, then how the hell do I know it has been upgraded.

Does this make sense to anybody, do you guys think I should call them again to make sure what she said was true. I didn't receive anything saying I have been upgraded, I am feeling it's still in the air.

I can confirm that. When my lawyer sent a letter to upgrade my category along with my dad's naturalization certificate we did not receive any thing back. However, there was a LUD on my I-130 application which leads me to believe that they did receive request for upgrade.

thanks, nish, you say there is a LUD on your "I130 application"? What do yo mean by that. You should have sent in your I130 application way before you did your upgrade. Your I130 approval letter? If your lawyer didn't get "anything" back, then how can this "LUD on your I130 application" (which by logic of your wording, cannot be something you received from USICS after your upgrade petition, since say didn't send anything back afterwards at all), shows they have done your upgrade? Sorry the logic of your wording sounds contradicting by itself to me :) Could you explain what you meant? Thanks.

nish, sorry, my bad. I think I got it now. LUD is something you can hear over the phone, not a letter. stupid me:D

nish, sorry, my bad. I think I got it now. LUD is something you can hear over the phone, not a letter. stupid me:D

you are right the second time. LUD means last update date (the last time they touched your file). You can check what this date was even after you have received a notice from them over the phone or over the web. You can register online here:

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/login.jsp

and register your eac# to track things like LUD.

Hope this helps.

Hearing on Wasted Visas, Growing Backlogs

http://judiciary.house.gov/oversight.aspx?ID=435

Some facts from the hearing:
1. 4 million in family based backlog (It would be nice to know the breakdown by category)
2. 22,000 unused visa numbers in family categories in 2007

At 55 minutes Mr. Gutierrez asked why most family based categories went from current in 1990's and into 2000 to being unavailable under the bush administration. He was wondering if it was something to do with favoring employment based over family based. The answer was: visa availability is determined by demand. Do you guys believe that the demand suddenly increased so drastically as to lengthen the waiting in FB1, for example, from 0 months 0 days to now 6 years???

Mr. Gutierrez also mentioned that people contact his office in Chicago and they are able to tell them where in the backlog they stand.

Maybe we should all write letter to Zoe Lofgren and Gutierrez asking for information and solutions. They are currently trying to introduce a bill to recapture unused visas since 1992, a total of 95,000 in family categories.