Us Citizen filing for Wife - Do I need passport AND naturalization certificate ?

umd_mba

Registered Users (C)
Hi ,
I got my citizenship yesterday :) . I would like to file for GC for my wife who is on a H1B currently. Does anyone have an idea if I need to get my passport before I can file for her ? or will the certificate of naturalization do ?
We plan to file in a few weeks and from what I read, the passport seems to take about 6 weeks to get .
Thanks for your help.

Naturalization certificate cool....

Congratulations on your citizenship. As Sarrebal said, your naturalization certificate is sufficient. Make copies and you will be fine. DON'T SEND YOUR ORIGINAL certificate.

It is even more advisable that once you make copies of your certificate, so you are safe. However, applying for a US passport, they will only need an original which they will send it back to you once you are issued the passport, in 6 weeks if you chose a regular process. I have a friend who lost his naturalization certificate and has applied for a replacement one, and it takes about a year to be reissued one. So, you want to be done with this transition, rather than wait. A US passport is better manageable, cause once you lose it, the state dept can be in a position to reissue you one, without the bureaucracy of USCIS.

Congratulations and good luck on filling petitions for your signifcant other.

Al Southner said:
Congratulations on your citizenship. As Sarrebal said, your naturalization certificate is sufficient. Make copies and you will be fine. DON'T SEND YOUR ORIGINAL certificate.

It is even more advisable that once you make copies of your certificate, so you are safe. However, applying for a US passport, they will only need an original which they will send it back to you once you are issued the passport, in 6 weeks if you chose a regular process. I have a friend who lost his naturalization certificate and has applied for a replacement one, and it takes about a year to be reissued one. So, you want to be done with this transition, rather than wait. A US passport is better manageable, cause once you lose it, the state dept can be in a position to reissue you one, without the bureaucracy of USCIS.

Congratulations and good luck on filling petitions for your signifcant other.

Yeah, Al Southner is right.
Don't send any original. You're gonna bring them at the interview anyways.
And you could ask for a passport meanwhile. You're not gonna have your interview in 6 weeks anyways.