Urgent! What law/Federal regulation regulates how to count days in/out of US?

mariainclt

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone quote or link to which law/regulation, etc determines how you count days in/out of the US??
I understand you count dep and arrival days as having been IN the US even if you were in the country for an hour.....but where is the law that says that is how it should be calculated?
Thanks!!!

Can anyone quote or link to which law/regulation, etc determines how you count days in/out of the US??
I understand you count dep and arrival days as having been IN the US even if you were in the country for an hour.....but where is the law that says that is how it should be calculated?
Thanks!!!

Not sure what exactly you mean by the law/regulation but as far as naturalization is concerned the following link (Guide to Naturalization) explains how the days should be calculated and that partial days in the US can be counted as a day spent in the US.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Refer to page 23-24 in the above guide for details.

Thanks for the link, I have read the guide and understand the concept, however I was asking for the actual law, ruling, etc that determines how days are counted. Did not find anything under Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations...maybe I missed it? or maybe it is elsewhere?

Thanks for the link, I have read the guide and understand the concept, however I was asking for the actual law, ruling, etc that determines how days are counted. Did not find anything under Title 8, Code of Federal Regulations...maybe I missed it? or maybe it is elsewhere?

Wait for others to respond who are familiar with the case law. However, in my opinion, the law always may or may not be clear, and each department (CIS for example) then comes out with memos or interpretations which regulate their day to day operations. The reason I think case law is not relevant to what you are asking is because you seem to be questioning about partial days spent in US, which are anyway credited to you per CIS regulations. Knowing case law is not going to give you some more additional days. If you can describe what you are trying to do, maybe people can provide more help.

Cant afford an attorney, was putting together a brief to rebut an IO's letter of denial. I apreciate the coments but I am simply looking for law I can quote.
Thanks.

You're looking for the law that determines how partial travel days are counted as being in US as part of your appeal? Is your appeal based on a miscalculation of partial dates spent traveling?

Bobsmyth, in my appeal letter I quote the many mistakes on the denial letter I was sent and further explain why I believe I meet all requirements for naturalization, including continuous residence, despite my absence of almost a year. It is a 4 page letter in which I explain each point quoting current regulations.

To bring you up to date, I requested Infopass as per your advice and once the customer service lady verified the A# on my letter was incorrect, she agreed to ref me to supervisor. Supervisor came out and was not helpful at all, she said all they would do is change the A# on my letter and mail it again. I explained that there are a whole host of mistakes, not just the A#. She opened my file, which she brought with her, there was a great big DENIED stamp on my application together with a couple of notations from the IO who interviewed me. Supervisor said "it doesn't matter what the denial letter says, the fact is you are denied" I explained my whole point is that the facts given on the letter as to the denial are incorrect so maybe the decision to deny is also incorrect.
She said...well, u were outside the US for over a year so that is that. I told her I have not been out for a year, I was out 362-363 days. She said, well, it is clearly stated in IO's notes that u admitted to having been outside the US for a year. I said that I don't know what the IO wrote but I most definitely did NOT admit something that is not true. She said she would ref to supervisor to take a look at it but insisted, all they would prob do is change A# and re-mail letter (AARGGGHH) I asked if she was not a supervisor, and she said she was the supervisor for the customer service people but not the supervisor for the IO that interviewed me. I asked to see IO's supervisor and she said I couldn't, I asked again and she said it was out of the question.
That is why I was asking if there is any law regarding how they count the days...are 363 days considered a year to them????
I had already prepared the N-336 Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings, with a brief (the 4 page letter I mentioned at beginning of post) and all documentation to support my continuous residence.
On the letter of appeal I mention the utter incompetence of IO who interviewed me and the his lack of professionalism and that I will be filing a formal complaint with the Office of Internal Audit, CIS Ombudsman and my representatives in Congress.......would u advise that I keep those comments on the letter of delete them? I know in theory they cannot retaliate but...in practice?

Thanks!!

On the letter of appeal I mention the utter incompetence of IO who interviewed me and the his lack of professionalism and that I will be filing a formal complaint with the Office of Internal Audit, CIS Ombudsman and my representatives in Congress.......would u advise that I keep those comments on the letter of delete them? I know in theory they cannot retaliate but...in practice?

Do they help your appeal? No. Leave them off.

In an appeal, focus on the law and facts of the case, not opinions.

I have read from different people in this forum that sometimes, when u let them know u will be contacting certain people (such as the ones I mentioned) they sit up and listen (see Asorock!) just wondering if in my case it would help or hinder.
By the way, I feel it is not an opinion but a fact that the IO who interviewed me and sent me letter with other people's information acted in an incompetent and unprofessional manner.

I have read from different people in this forum that sometimes, when u let them know u will be contacting certain people (such as the ones I mentioned) they sit up and listen (see Asorock!) just wondering if in my case it would help or hinder.
By the way, I feel it is not an opinion but a fact that the IO who interviewed me and sent me letter with other people's information acted in an incompetent and unprofessional manner.

The IO might have been a jerk. The customer service supervisor you talked to might have been a jerk. However, when they get asked about the incident in response to your complaint, they can just deny it. Recently there was a case by Asorock ... http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=307353 ... he called them on similar behavior and was approved eventually.

There's a difference between an otherwise approveable case that's just sitting on a shelf somewhere, and a denied case that depends on an error of law in order to be approved. The easy cases will be susceptible to pressure, because no one needs to go out on a limb. They just need to approve the case and the problem goes away. Overturning a denial is another matter.

Doesn't matter. The law doesn't consider an unprofessional examiner as a legitimate grounds for appeal. Either they made an error in law (ie. they applied the law incorrectly) or the decision was underpinned by inaccurate facts. Both are grounds for appeal, and the letter with another person's information is good supporting evidence. But an unprofessional examiner? No. Claiming this (and threatening to write the Ombudsman, DHS, Secretary, Congressman, Vice-President, President, Secretary-General of the UN and the Pope) doesn't help your case one bit.

A few months ago someone on this board was denied under similar circumstances (wrong interpretation of law for registering to vote in statutory period) and successfully won appeal.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=289373

However in your case the issue is that you have presumed to have broken continuous residence and the evidence your provided was not sufficient to prove US residency ties while you were gone.
Do you have US utility bills and mortgage/rental payment for when you were gone?