URGENT: Travelling on a TN visa

John L

I need to book a last-minute trip to Asia in the day or two due to an illness in the family.

I am currently on a TN visa (approved 10/08 and valid for 3 years) but have not travelled internationally since I received the visa.

Can I travel out of the US on a TN visa?

When I return, would I be "re-applying" for a TN visa or would I simply be entering the US on my previously approved TN? If not, would I run into an problems? I've been told that I might run into problems when I go through US immigration on my return trip. Is this true? What do I need to bring with me?

A quick response would be much appreciated since I need to leave ASAP.

Thanks!!!!!

John

Can I travel out of the US on a TN visa?

-- Yes, you sure can.

When I return, would I be "re-applying" for a TN visa or would I simply be entering the US on my previously approved TN?

-- Retain your original valid I-94 that was issued when you got the TN while boarding the flight out of the US. Use the same I-94 to enter the US on your way back.

would I run into an problems? I've been told that I might run into problems when I go through US immigration on my return trip. Is this true? What do I need to bring with me?

-- Keep your employment letter and copies of your degree certificate - just in case you run into some "smart" officer! But I wouldn't worry too much.

bigboy00 - thanks for the quick response!

To elaborate of my situation -- Prior to receiving my TN status, I was on a H1B visa for 6 years and F1 visa for 4 years before that. I traveled internationally mulitple time during those 10 years and never encourtered any problems (aside from the occasional question or two at the border).

However, this will be my first time travelling with a TN. Will the fact that I have been in the US for so long under a 3 different visas - with the current one being non-dual-intent - cause any problems?

I am worried about being bombarded with questions and giving a wrong answer - or what can be taken as a wrong answer by the agent - and being denied reentry.

Thanks in advance to everyone for sharing your wisdom! It is much appreciated!

Johnny

in addition yo big's advice, carry a copy of your I-94, many airlines INSIST that you relinquish your I-94 when you leave (it is a requirement), so having a copy of it should be enough to get you back in.

However, this will be my first time travelling with a TN. Will the fact that I have been in the US for so long under a 3 different visas - with the current one being non-dual-intent - cause any problems?

-- I do not see any issues here just because you had different status in the past.

Yeah, the guy can huff and puff all he wants, but unless you have filed an I-485 or are married to an american living in US, you are not exhibiting immig intent.

nelsona and bigboy00 - thanks for your help!

I leave tomorrow and your comments definitely put me at ease.

Cheers,
John