Urgent Query on spelling error on L1 Individual VISA

harikrishh

I have a spelling error on my L1 individual VISA (COGNIZANT mispelt as CONGIZANT) . I had gone to the Bangalore VFS center with the BEP letter from my company where I was told that I cannot apply for correction since I have travelled already to US with this VISA and it can be done only in case the person has not travelled to US . I have got my I 797 form amended (which was also having a spelling mistake in the Company Name) from the US when I came to INDIA . Also I was told by the VFS personnel that I need to apply for new VISA . Since I have only 20 days before I travel back to US I dont think the above option is a viable one for me .

These discrepancie were pointed out to me by the Immigration officer at the LA aiport last year I visited and had told me to intimate my Compnay on this

I have read soemwhere that this spelling error wouldn't be a problem since it is only a single alphabet that is mismatching and generally the Immigration officers does not create problem for this . Would it be a safe bet to travel with this ?

Could anyone please advice me on what to do in this scenario .

I have a spelling error on my L1 individual VISA (COGNIZANT mispelt as CONGIZANT) . I had gone to the Bangalore VFS center with the BEP letter from my company where I was told that I cannot apply for correction since I have travelled already to US with this VISA and it can be done only in case the person has not travelled to US . I have got my I 797 form amended (which was also having a spelling mistake in the Company Name) from the US when I came to INDIA . Also I was told by the VFS personnel that I need to apply for new VISA . Since I have only 20 days before I travel back to US I dont think the above option is a viable one for me .

These discrepancie were pointed out to me by the Immigration officer at the LA aiport last year I visited and had told me to intimate my Compnay on this

I have read soemwhere that this spelling error wouldn't be a problem since it is only a single alphabet that is mismatching and generally the Immigration officers does not create problem for this . Would it be a safe bet to travel with this ?

Could anyone please advice me on what to do in this scenario .

U've already been to the US on this same visa. why are u worried about it now??

Thanks John for the Reply . Eventhough I have been to the US with this error the immigration offcier had pointed out this error to me when I entered.I just wanted to know if I will be facing any issues this time around .

Hari

Hi,
i have almost the same issue here. I went to Canada to apply for a new Blanket petition and had my company name mis spelt on the I-129S and also the VISA had the company name with the spelling mistake. When i came in to the US, the immigration officers told me to intimate the company regarding the same. I have my Wife and Kid going for the VISA stamping in India by the end of this month. Will it cause any issues? or since it is just a single letter change can i go ahead with the current petition documents.

Can someone advice on how to proceed on this case?

Thanks
Rajkumar

Generally, if the error is limited to Visa stamped on the passport but not with the I-129 or I-797 issued by USCIS, it is okay. It would be better for the concerned individual to get it rectified by taking the matter up with the respective consulate; however, it does not impose any problems as far as visa applications for dependents are concerned. This is because, in dependents case, consular posts are usually focussed on primary's status in the US.

Visa is nothing but a travel document, like an airplane ticket, issued by Consulate.

Thanks for the reply John.

I have the company name mis-spelt on my I-129S as well. Do I have to apply for a ammendment for the company name change on I-129 or can i have my attorney send the information to the USICS using fax so that it is updated on their records as well.

Thanks
Rajkumar

Thanks for the reply John.

I have the company name mis-spelt on my I-129S as well. Do I have to apply for a ammendment for the company name change on I-129 or can i have my attorney send the information to the USICS using fax so that it is updated on their records as well.

Thanks
Rajkumar

I-129 is your company's property and you are just a beneficiary. Your company or your company's attorney will have to file for the correction

Thanks for the update John and sorry for the delayed response :)

I am going to follow up with my company on getting it changed through the attorney. Do you by any chance know what is the time frame for getting this changed, so that i can plan accordingly?

Thanks
Rajkumar