(urgent please) medical insurance for old lady with pending asylum case

omerkxy

Hello,
My name is Omar and i'm currently in Iraq but my mother is in USA for more than one year and she had applied for asylum in 09/21/2016 and she has completed finger print only but she hasn't received interview letter. But the problem is that she had a brain stroke last month and she was in the hospital and she lost control over her right part of body so they send her to Rehabilitation center and they issued emergency insurance so all of these treatments was for free but the Rehabilitation center told my wife that after three days the treatment will not be for free and we will have to pay about 80,000$ each month, so my question is can i buy some kind of medical insurance for my mother in order for her treatment to be free??and can i make expedite interview for her?? please i really need answer
thank you

I don't know about the medical insurance, but I think she can send a letter to the asylum office asking them to expedite her asylum application if she have very very strong reasons with some good proofs.

She can contact local Department of Human Services office and most likely they will only give her an emergency insurance. For additional insurance, I think you can buy through the marketplace at healthcare.gov They have different plans with different prices. Hope it helps.

That's a very heartbreaking case.
The way I see it now, she has two different situations.
#1 She needs a health insurance quickly for her rehabilitation cost.
#2 She only applied for asylum in September 2016. So Under current circumstances, she will not receive her interview notice until maybe 2018 or later depending on which asylum office she is in.​

And the #1 situation is close to a life threatening so it needs to be resolved as soon as possible.
So, let's suppose that with God's greatness, you can afford to buy an insurance coverage. If that is the case, I suggest that you look at the Obamacare marketplace. The open enrollment for the year 2017 ends on January 31st, 2017. And last I checked, asylum applicants are eligible to buy insurance through the marketplace. So go ahead and buy it sooner than later. Starting on January 21, 2017 with Trump in the White House, they might start repealling parts of Obamacare. Once she is approved, her coverage will begin on January 1st. That is a 2 weeks waiting period, but it will be worth it I think.
Since she is elderly and disabled, I believe she can obtain some (major?) cost reduction to help her pay for the premium.

So, once you fix hopefully the #1 issue, I strongly encourage you to move on to the #2 issue.

For #2 issue, I think you should gather all proofs of her conditions (brain stroke, lost of control of right side of body etc). If you don't have them, ask the hospital and the rehabilitation clinic to provide them. Also, ask the rehabilitation clinic to write a letter where they will say that without an insurance, your mom will have to pay $80,000 per month for treatment. Put everything together and write a letter to the asylum office explaining her extraordinary case and ask them to expedite her case (both interview and final decision) so your mom can finally be able to have proper care and have all her attention focused on healing herself, not worrying about being in a limbo and possibly facing back prosecution back home.
I suggest you get help from a lawyer to write that letter. If you don't have one, you can look for pro-bono ones. I am sure, a lot will be willing to help your mom.
Also, I suggest that you write that letter as soon as possible. Maybe next week? It's good if the asylum office can reply back before the end of the month. Who knows, maybe Christmas and the new year will help you get a favorable decision.

I wish you all the best to your mom and you through this very difficult situation.