Urgent Help on EAD!

gcwaitguy

Registered Users (C)
Recently there have been some changes on how Local INS offices will issue/renew EAD and AP. Till now they were issuing EAD's same day but now they will only issue if the local INS office has an A file else it has to applied at INS service center.

My EAD is due to expire some time next month, my attorney was planning to file the application at local INS office couple of weeks before it's expiration ( my wife and myself got EAD's same way last year). With this new change I have to apply at INS service center which means it will take at least 45-60 days depending on their backlog and I will never get renewed card before my current one expires.

I am in this situation due to sudden changes made by INS without any advance information. can this be an issue which can impact me in any way. Is there any way I can avoid this.

Your help and advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thx...

The last time I spoke to my attorney about renewal of my EAD, she indicated that you could continue to work if you have the filing receipt of your EAD. Based on what she said, I would assume that you should go ahead and just file for the EAD with the service centre and once you have your receipt notice, you can continue to work.
Good luck and things will work out
karthic

EAD ...

I am not sure whether we can work if the old EAD expired, I think we have to wait till the new EAD is approved. My friends lawyer told him that EAD does work like H1 extension .... and I got the same answer from this forum too ...... :confused: :confused:

Any idea guys ????

:confused:

Re

EADs are little different from H1b Extn applications.
If EAD has expired, you should have another EAD for
working again. Just filing for EAD does not give permit
to work unlike in H1b extn filing. H1b laws have been manipulated
many times in the last 6 Years in favor of both Employees
and in Employers. While no one realized how important
it is to change the EAD laws too. Same case with a L2 spouses
who can work and H4 Spouses can not work.

I applied for my wife's EAD late (as she is npt working) and got the EAD after expiration with dates valilid from the last expiration date. There is no issue date on EAD. so I would argue that if someone already has a A# he/she can continue to work if the company permits(most won't even notice). we all know that INS is not so efficient to ask someone why he/she is working with an expired EAD within 3-4 weeks. if someone asks for status in future (at the time of adjudication) you can always produce the EAD (the dates will be valid) ofcourse I am not sure if what happens if EAD is denied. BTW what happens then in case of H1 denial.