URGENT: HELP NEED - L1 to H1

bsktemp

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

My L1 is expiring on October 2nd and my H1 (Change of Status) was approved which I applied through a consultancy. That H1 will become active from October 1st.

I'm planning to go to Mexico/Canada in September for H1 stamping.

1) When I can go for stamping? can I go in September 2nd/3rd week?

2) If my H1 gets stamped in Mexico, can I come back to us before to October 1st? or do I need to enter only after October 1st?

3) If my H1 is rejected in Mexico, can I reenter US with my L1?

Thanks
Srikanth

L1to H1

Hi,

you can go to Mexico for stamping in 2nd/3rd week of September. however u can start working only when your H1b period is valid.ie Oct 1st.

Incase ur h1b is rejected u can enter USA on your L1.

L1 to H1

Hi Vishnu,

thanks for the reply. But my question is "Can I come back to US as soon as I got H1B visa in Septeber 2nd/3rd week? Or Do I need stay in Mexico till October 1st?"

My question is not regarding my working. I just need to know when I can re-enter US, since my H1 is valid only after Oct 1st and L1 is gone due to H1 stamping.

thanks
Srikanth

It is recommended that you do not enter US 15 days prior to the effective date of your H-1B. POE officer will question you.

Re-entring

Thanks John,

So I re-enter after Septeber 15th, since my petition is valid from October 1st.

Will there be any cases where in we will be forced to stay in Mexico till October 1st?

I wouldn't think so. An alien can enter US 10 days prior to the start date and I have not heard anyone mentioning questions at POE in that circumstance.

hi

HI
i have been in canada as a student and now on an H1b here. There is no need to worry as H1b approval and officially work is permitted from oct 1st.but the entry date for a h1 is given from 10 days prior i.e.,sep 2oth and afterwards. the latest you could enter US is by sep 20th afterwards.So u could shedule an interview on september 3rd week and then collect the passport in a day and be back in the country.This is the way it used to be till last year as of my knowledge and for better information you could talk once with the law offices in toronto who help with the process.Eg: Green and speigel law associates.