Urgent!!! Expired Indian Visa - Please Advise

sodiam06

Hello Forum Members,

My daughter, who is a US Citizen by birth, is currently in India on an Indian Visa. The visa got expired recently. If she needs to come to the US in the next few months, where can I get her Indian visa renewed? How long does the process take? Is applying for a PIO card a better and faster option? Will the Indian immigration people create any problems if the visa is not renewed and she wants to travel to the US? (where we can renew the visa or apply for new PIO card).

Please advise and thanks in advance!

-Sodiam

Sodium, your daughter doesnt need visa to come to USA as you said she is a US citizen. She needs visa or PIO only for entry in India. So once she gets back you can get the Indian PIO card or Indian visa as needed.

You can check the above by calling the US Embassy in India.

BrainDrain said:
Sodium, your daughter doesnt need visa to come to USA as you said she is a US citizen. She needs visa or PIO only for entry in India. So once she gets back you can get the Indian PIO card or Indian visa as needed.

You can check the above by calling the US Embassy in India.
BrainDrain,

Thank you very much for the quick response ... logically what you say is correct, but unfortunately I am not sure the Indian immigration officials will look at it that way. My concern is that on the way back to the US, what if the Indian immigration official objects to an expired Indian Visa and not permit my daughter to leave India?

Thanks,

Sodiam

On her way back, they will not be looking at Indian visa but her valid US passport as she is leaving the country.

On a lighter note she could ask to be deported and yet come back to US. Dont panic. She is fine.

BrainDrain said:
On her way back, they will not be looking at Indian visa but her valid US passport as she is leaving the country.

On a lighter note she could ask to be deported and yet come back to US. Dont panic. She is fine.
BrainDrain,

Thank you again for the kind words of encouragement ... I sent the same question via fax and e-mail to Chicago Indian Consulate. They called back and left me a voice-mail to the effect that I needed to renew the visa in India by contacting the Indian embassy. They not being specific kinda hinders my options ... so I am still searching for more clear options. If I need to renew the expired Indian visa in India itself, can it be done by mail or should someone go to the nearest embassy in person? Can the same visa application form (available for download at the indianembassy website) be used for renewal too?

If anybody has experienced this scenario, please share tid-bits please. Greatly appreciated!

-Sodiam

Re: Urgent!!! Expired Indian Visa - Please Advise Reply to Thread

Hello All,

I received back a fax :) from the Chicago Indian consulate's office. I am supposed to contact the FRRO (Foreigner's Regional Registration Officer) to get a visa extension. On digging more with 'FRRO India' as subject in Google, I discovered the following excellent resource: http://www.immigrationindia.nic.in/

The site has all needed info for Indian visa / PIO card while in India.

Regards,

-Sodiam

sodiam06 said:
Hello Forum Members,

My daughter, who is a US Citizen by birth, is currently in India on an Indian Visa. The visa got expired recently. If she needs to come to the US in the next few months, where can I get her Indian visa renewed? How long does the process take? Is applying for a PIO card a better and faster option? Will the Indian immigration people create any problems if the visa is not renewed and she wants to travel to the US? (where we can renew the visa or apply for new PIO card).

-Sodiam
http://immigrationindia.nic.in
PIO
http://immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ_PIO.htm

Visa extension
http://immigrationindia.nic.in/FAQ_Visa_Extensions.htm

http://immigrationindia.nic.in
PIO (Person Of Indian Origin) Card

PIO card scheme, 1999 has been revised. The new PIO Card Scheme, 2002, is in operation since 15th September, 2002. According to the revised scheme, the PIO Card is valid for 15 years and a fee of Rupees 15,000/- charged for issue of the same. In the case of minor, i.e. below 18 years of age, the fee is Rupees 7,500/- for 15 years validity card.

Authority to which application is to be made: -

(i) An application for issue of a PIO Card shall be made to an Indian Mission in the country where the applicant is ordinarily resident.

(ii) Applicants already in India on Long Term Visa (more than one year) shall make the application for issue of a PIO Card to the following authorities: -

(A) Those residing in: -

(a) Delhi : Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
Level-II, East Block-VIII,

Sector-I, R.K. Puram,
New Delhi-110066

(b) Mumbai : Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
3rd Floor, Special Branch Building,
Badruddin Tayabji Lane,
Behind St. Xaviers College,
Mumbai-400001

(c) Kolkata : Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
237, Acharya Jagdish Chandra Bose Road,
Kolkata-700020
(d) Amritsar : Foreigners Regional Registration Officer,
123-D, Ranjeet Avenue,
Amritsar-143001
(e) Chennai : Chief Immigration Officer,

Bureau of Immigration,
Shastri Bhavan, 26, Haddows Road,
Chennai-600006

(B) Those residing in areas other than (A) above: -

Joint Secretary (Foreigners),

Ministry of Home Affairs,

Ist floor, Lok Nayak Bhavan,

Khan Market,

New Delhi - 110003.

Possession of a PIO card, entitles a foreigner to enter or leave India without the requirements of any other VISA. Registration, however, is required with the concerned FRRO/CHIO/FRO office for a PIO card holder also if he stays in India for more than six months continuously like foreigners on any other types of long-term Visa.
------------------------
Visa Extension / Conversion

The powers of Visa conversions and visa extensions to foreigners present in India, vests with the Ministry of Home Affairs. For this purpose the foreigners can approach the Foreigners Division, MHA, Lok Nayak Bhawan, Khan Market, New Delhi between 10 AM to 12 AM on all working days (Monday to Friday). The change of visa status from one category to another category is normally not allowed. It can be considered by MHA only in extraordinary circumstances. For this purpose, the foreigner should normally come in person to the office. In exceptional cases and where allowed, a duly authenticated representative may be sent. Foreigners not residing in Delhi may approach the FRRO/CHIO/FRO concerned who would forward their case in MHA for approval. Applications for extensions/conversions should be made well in advance.

For the convenience of the foreigners, however, the FRROs/CHIO/FROs are empowered to make extensions / conversions for certain types of Visas without referring the same to MHA. The details of such powers vested with FRROs etc. are: -

1. In case of foreigners of Indian origin/foreigner married to Indian citizen/foreigner staying in India for more than 20 years, extension can be given on entry Visa by FRROs for a period of 5 years.

2. FRRO can extend the VISA for three months in case of Employment & Business VISAs and forward the case for further extension upto 1 year, to MHA. After obtaining approval from MHA, FRRO can extend that VISA for further four years on year-to-year basis.

3. FRRO can convert visa and grant extension of stay to foreign students studying upto 12th standard, whose parents are of Indian origin or whose parents are Indian nationals- on year to year basis. Same facility is also available for children of foreigners residing in India on long-term basis (studying up 12th Standard) on valid visas such as Employment, Business, Research, Entry Student etc.

4. FRRO can grant 15 days extension of stay on all types of visas on production of confirmed ticket for departure.

5. For student Visa Holders : FRRO can extend the Student Visa for duration of the course or for a maximum period of 5 years, whichever is less, to bonafide students coming to India to join well-known institutions subject to fulfillment of conditions prescribed. The visa fee for a student for the duration of the course or for a maximum period of 5 years, whichever is less, is US$ 75, but it remains a one time fee for duration of the course and all extensions within this duration are given free of cost. An additional fee of US$ 75 has to be charged for change in course/subsequent course. FRRO may allow change in Institution/course (on payment of fee) provided the new institution and course are also fully recognized/approved and are full-time proper courses. In case of PG Courses, fee has to be charged (except ICCR Scholars & students of gratis countries) for extension of visa on the basis of bonafide certificates.

I hate to scare you, but it looks like your daughter has overstayed her authorized stay period in India and might be out of status.

Please do not take Indian immigration lightly. I suggest that you apply immediately for an extension and pay any necessary penalties and ensure that your daughter is in status prior to leaving the country.

Even if your daughter leaves the country without any problems, there could a problem in entering India in the future due to the overstay.

Just my opinion though.

sodiam06 said:
Hello Forum Members,

-Sodiam

Hello All

See this happened with my daughter, she holds a Canadian Passport she came to India on March 15 2010 and her visa expiry was on April 4th 2010, we went to SP office in our locality and asked to extend the stay they told that we should apply one month prior, and he also told that it should not be an issue as she is just 3 years old, tell the immigration officer in airport they will not object. But believe me when my daughter and mom in law went to Mumbai office they did not let her go they sent her back saying we need to extend the visa.
So do not take it easy it is very very disappointing