Urgent: Employment after EAD Receipt

uts2004

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have couple of questions related to my EAD receipt and employment. I would greatly appreciate if you can answer both to clarify my doubts.

I am currently on a H4 visa and I have social secutrity number since I used to study here before I got transferred to H4 status.
My husband's company has filed concurrent application of I-140, I-485 and EAD for both of us.

Apparantly, I received my EAD application receipt from Vermont INS few weeks ago.

I have following questions:

1.Based on the above receipt can I start working if I get a job?
As far as I know, I can not. Atleast until I receive approved EAD, that is my understanding. If so, then is there any work around so that I can start working on above basis?

2. If I can not work just based on the EAD's receipt, then is it possible that I can start working as a volunteer at one of the consulting company who is offering me a consultant position in a big firm until I get my EAD approved?

Of course, I'll not come onto my prospective's employer's payroll untill I get my EAD apporved. Until then I plan to work as a volunteer.
is this legal?

TIA,

uts.

1. You are correct. You cannot start working until your EAD is approved.
2. No you cannot "volunteer". Working has nothing to do with being paid or not. The USCIS views working as anything that someone would normally be paid to do in that same position.

Regards

Rav

Just to clarify something....you can volunteer at your local shelter, in your childs classroom as a room parent, on the PTA etc. because everyone else there is a volunteer. But you cannot work at a job under the guise of "volunteering" if the position would normally be paid to someone.

Regards

Rav

regd volunteer questions

This is so funny....... I worked as volunteer in Red Cross as volunteer in marketing dept two yrs back there marketing head left because of some reasons they had liked me lot and I had seven yrs experience in International Marketing to back it up so I became head as volunteer...........

Though it was paid position I never took dime and they never offered me because they knew I couldnt take ...........so what you are telling me that they did was wrong too.....

Or being part of non profit you are allowed to that .....

I will be waiting a month more for EAD.....hopefully it will come thru by then

If the position that you were filling was one that a person would normally be paid to do, then yes, they were doing something wrong.

Regards

Rav