Urgent - DS230 Question - Is Passport must at this stage?

pratham

Registered Users (C)
Hi all ,

we have received instructions from NVC to submit DS230 and Affidavit of support for my parents. (USC brother sponsoring parents)

1) Father: passport not ready- Is it must to submit Photocopy of valid passport biographic data page when sending DS230? Applied for Passport 2 months back but not yet received. We are hoping to receive by interview date

2) Mother: Passport ready, Middle name in the passport is mispelled. Do we need to correct this before submitting DS-230?

3) Does Part-I and Part-II needs to be signed by Parents or Can my brother sign it if he has authority letter from parents?

Please advise.. Highly appreciated...!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all ,

we have received instructions from NVC to submit DS230 and Affidavit of support for my parents. (USC brother sponsoring parents)

1) Father: passport not ready- Is it must to submit Photocopy of valid passport biographic data page when sending DS230? Applied for Passport 2 months back but not yet received. We are hoping to receive by interview date

2) Mother: Passport ready, Middle name in the passport is mispelled. Do we need to correct this before submitting DS-230?

3) Does Part-I and Part-II needs to be signed by Parents or Can my brother sign it if he has authority letter from parents?

Please advise.. Highly appreciated...!!!

1) Since it is required, NVC may not complete the case and not send it to consulate till copy of passport pages are received.

2) I am not sure misspelled middle name is a big issue so long as at all the other places it is correct. However, you can try to have it corrected by the passport office.

3) I believe you are going to be interviewed at a consulate (standard review)where consulate will schedule the interview and NVC only asks for DS 230 part 1 alongwith copy of passport pages. There are other consulates (application review) where you submit DS 230 part 1 & 2 and all the other documents to NVC and NVC schedules the interview at consulate.

Anyway, DS 230 part 1 need to be signed by applicant. Part 2 also need to be signed by the applicant but that is in front of the consular officer at the interview.

Good luck!

Thank you so much visa applicant. I was hoping that you might answer the questions

1) Since it is required, NVC may not complete the case and send it to consulate till copy of passport pages are received.

>> If I understand correctly,

If I submit DS230-I along with all civil documents except passport biographic page - NVC can still forward the case to Bombay for actual processing and meanwhile I can obtain the passport. Correct?

2) I am not sure misspelled middle name is a big issue so long as at all the other places it is correct. However, you can try to have it corrected by the passport office.

>> makes sense

3) I believe you are going to be interviewed at a consulate (standard review)where consulate will schedule the interview and NVC only asks for DS 230 part 1 alongwith copy of passport pages. There are other consulates (application review) where you submit DS 230 part 1 & 2 and all the other documents to NVC and NVC schedules the interview at consulate.

>> so For Mumbai Consulate, all these documents will be needed at the time of interview and not by NVC inorder to forward the case to mumbai consulate and schedule visa interview

Anyway, DS 230 part 1 need to be signed by applicant. Part 2 also need to be signed by the applicant but that is in front of the consular officer at the interview.

>> Can we request interview in Marathi (local language)? Or they have to give interview in English only?

Again thank you so much for your time , appreciate your help.

No, I meant that without passport biographic page, NVC may not send the case to Mumbai.

I believe it is possible to request interview in Marathi. Check consulate website/ ask via email.