update on how my interview went

poohsmum

Registered Users (C)
Got there at 800am got called into the office at about 830am, the IO swore us in and then began the interview...He asked me ?'s on the 485 then he asked my husband some ?'s on his info then we chatted a bit about nothing in particular ...he asked me about my parents and where they were born and there citizenship....he asked us about our daughter and joint sponsor and then I asked him if he would like to see our joint bills and so forth he said no that isnt nessacary and then I showed him some color copies of our family pictures and he took some then he gave me the bad news,.......He showed me the stamp APPROVED for my I-130 but he couldnt update the info because lee summit owns the file so he will have his supervisor do it for him and then he told me SORRY your application is PENDING due to your name check isnt done yet!! :eek: :rolleyes: :( I never heard him say approved (my husband says he did ) but after he told us about the name check thing he told me if in 2 months I havent gotten my greencard to come in for a info pass and see whats going on :( :rolleyes: So I guess we dont get to have a extra celebration next friday after all (Its our 20th anniversary 11-3) so for now I guess its HURRY UP AND WAIT!!!!! anyone have any clue how long this will take to get the name check done??? Anyways thanks for all your supprt I appercaite it alot :)

Sorry to hear that... :(
How long it will take to get the name check done? Good question...
It varies, could take 2 months, could take more...
Hope it ends soon for you... :)
Look at the bright side: you're done with the interview! ;)

I guess I just dont feel like celebrating since its still "pending" and I dont know when I will get thru name check..kinda bummed cause i was really hoping I would be getting my GC in the mail in the next few weeks ...I assume this means I am approved as long as name check comes back ok so now its just hurry up and wait :(

does anyone know what the basis of a name check is?
why can't they do name checks on a constant basis on the FBI list so no one has to wait for the interview to find out they have a name check pending.

sorry you had to encounter this. should be over soon.

machelon said:
does anyone know what the basis of a name check is?
why can't they do name checks on a constant basis on the FBI list so no one has to wait for the interview to find out they have a name check pending.

sorry you had to encounter this. should be over soon.

Google or the search button on here is your friend. There are 3 standard checks:
1. IBIS check which is done by USCIS themselves - takes a couple of seconds.
2. FBI fingerprint check, which is usually done by FBI the same day.
3. FBI name check which is problematic. USCIS sends tapes of names to FBI, if there is no hit on the name, the name check is sent back as complete within approx. 2 weeks. The problem is, that when a hit occurs, some further research needs to be done. The files with "hits" are placed on a pile, waiting to be manually researched. Most of these files are cleared within 6 months. A small percentage take years to clear, probably because documentation is scattered in different offices and all docs need to be co-ordinated and sent to the correct office where they are manually reviewed. Seems to be an organizational problem.

NOTE: if you get a hit on your name, it does not even mean that you ever had a record of any kind. Names that are "hit" include, witnesses, people with names determined to be very similar to certain other names etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry Poohsmum, everything is going to be alright. You've already waited for 20 years, I'm sure your name check is going to be fine, but just give yourself a little bit patient. I've got approved too, on 10/26/06. We didn't celebrate either, coz we are waiting for the actual green card coming in the mail.

Wish you all good!!!

I hate waiting...They did do a LUD the 27th and again today the 30th so I guess thats good someone is touching it at least even if it says: the interview that was schdueled in this case has been cancelled youw ill be notified if it is to be reschdueled not sure why its saying that but ok..My I-130 was suppose to have been approved and that still hasnt been updated yet :( so I guess I will wait and see when that may happen