Unknowingly registered to vote, but never voted, N400 interview coming soon

itsmeyar

Registered Users (C)
I came here as a non-immigrant worker 1n 1998. In 1999 when I got my drivers license, I filled the voters registration without knowing that I am not supposed to vote, but I never voted, never got the voters card also. I also remember that I got a letter afterwards saying that I am not eligible to vote. I got my GC in April 2005 and I filed my N400 in March 2010. In that I answered no to both the questions have you registered for vote and have you ever voted. I might get my interview soon. The problem now is I checked the county voters list online and it says I have been registered and the status says inactive. What do I do next? Shall I ask the regidtration office to de-register myself, and show that proof to the interviewer and admit about my mistake? Your help is much appreciated.

You need to de-register and take the proof with you at interview. Also explain interviewer that you were registered unknowingly and never voted in any election. I think you will be fine.

I came here as a non-immigrant worker 1n 1998. In 1999 when I got my drivers license, I filled the voters registration without knowing that I am not supposed to vote, but I never voted, never got the voters card also. I also remember that I got a letter afterwards saying that I am not eligible to vote. I got my GC in April 2005 and I filed my N400 in March 2010. In that I answered no to both the questions have you registered for vote and have you ever voted. I might get my interview soon. The problem now is I checked the county voters list online and it says I have been registered and the status says inactive. What do I do next? Shall I ask the regidtration office to de-register myself, and show that proof to the interviewer and admit about my mistake? Your help is much appreciated.

Contact the voter registration office and request them to unregister you. Also request they provide you a letter stating that you have been unregistered since you'll need to present that at interview.

There is an individual whose case is very similar to yours, and that person got denied his/her N-400. you need to read that thread...To register without being a citizen is a pretty serious matter, but I think you can get around it if you follow the proper procedures....

Do you remember where you have seen this thread on the forum, faysal? I would also be interested in reading this... I have a similar problem: my previous state sent me a voter registration card when I changed my address on the driver's license. That was back in 2005--and I wasn't even an LPR yet, still stuck in the FBI Name Check.

I didn't take care of it right away, partly because I didn't realize the seriousness of potential consequences. However, I did return the card to the city clerk in 2007 and got a letter from them to that effect. I have also recently contacted the state voter registrar of my former state, and they issued me a letter on their letterhead saying that my registration was in error. (Apparently a lot of this occurred to other LPRs in the state.) The biggest positive here is that I know I didn't claim to be a citizen! One of the records they sent me shows that there was no signature on the voter registration form, and they should have rejected it right away.

I think I will be okay at the interview, since I do have multiple records supporting my claims. But it would be good to see what happened to the person you mentioned whose N-400 was denied.

There is an individual whose case is very similar to yours, and that person got denied his/her N-400. you need to read that thread...To register without being a citizen is a pretty serious matter, but I think you can get around it if you follow the proper procedures....

Do you remember where you have seen this thread on the forum, faysal? I would also be interested in reading this... I have a similar problem: my previous state sent me a voter registration card when I changed my address on the driver's license. That was back in 2005--and I wasn't even an LPR yet, still stuck in the FBI Name Check.

I didn't take care of it right away, partly because I didn't realize the seriousness of potential consequences. However, I did return the card to the city clerk in 2007 and got a letter from them to that effect. I have also recently contacted the state voter registrar of my former state, and they issued me a letter on their letterhead saying that my registration was in error. (Apparently a lot of this occurred to other LPRs in the state.) The biggest positive here is that I know I didn't claim to be a citizen! One of the records they sent me shows that there was no signature on the voter registration form, and they should have rejected it right away.

I think I will be okay at the interview, since I do have multiple records supporting my claims. But it would be good to see what happened to the person you mentioned whose N-400 was denied.

check it here: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?312123-n-400-quot-lack-of-good-moral-character-quot

Thanks faysal! I did see that one... :) I thought you were referring to a different one from some time ago.

By the way, based on the description the OP provided in the thread you referred to, it seems like the IO simply did not like the documentation provided and would have perhaps approved the case if documentation had been "up to his standards." I think that ccczzzzz has pretty good chances on the appeal.

I have letters on letterhead from the city clerk and the state voter registrar, as well as copies and printouts of some of their internal documents verifying my claim of erroneous voter registration. Hopefully this will be enough for the IO at the Fairfax, VA DO... :) I did disclose this on my N-400 and provided copies of the documentation I have with my application.

If anyone has any firsthand accounts of this type of situation or any thoughts/suggestions for additional things to do to help ensure a successful interview, they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks faysal! I did see that one... :) I thought you were referring to a different one from some time ago.

By the way, based on the description the OP provided in the thread you referred to, it seems like the IO simply did not like the documentation provided and would have perhaps approved the case if documentation had been "up to his standards." I think that ccczzzzz has pretty good chances on the appeal.

I have letters on letterhead from the city clerk and the state voter registrar, as well as copies and printouts of some of their internal documents verifying my claim of erroneous voter registration. Hopefully this will be enough for the IO at the Fairfax, VA DO... :) I did disclose this on my N-400 and provided copies of the documentation I have with my application.

If anyone has any firsthand accounts of this type of situation or any thoughts/suggestions for additional things to do to help ensure a successful interview, they would be greatly appreciated!

My friend: This is the latest experience. I think if you haven't voted, and you have your paperwork straight, you are gonna be ok. I think the situation is very serious when you register and vote,but if you only registered and register...you are ganno be ok...Also remember, each officer is different...and they have their own things going on...You seem to be readygood luck my friend...;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I think, I have answered No to the question Are you a US citizen in the voter registration form, that is why they sent me an ineligible to vote letter afterwards and I never got the voters registration card, nor I voted ever (I dont have that letter with me). I thought everybody should fill the voters registration form (my ignorence of US laws when I landed here), my mistake in filling that form. But now if I search the voter list in the county voters list online, my name is coming up as a registered voter and status as inactive. That is what is confusing me. I have requested the county voters director to remove my name and give me a proof that it was a mistake. I have been called for jury duty once. Do you think that is it because I have registered to vote. I denied the jury duty form saying that I am not a citizen.

I think, I have answered No to the question Are you a US citizen in the voter registration form, that is why they sent me an ineligible to vote letter afterwards and I never got the voters registration card, nor I voted ever (I dont have that letter with me). I thought everybody should fill the voters registration form (my ignorence of US laws when I landed here), my mistake in filling that form. But now if I search the voter list in the county voters list online, my name is coming up as a registered voter and status as inactive. That is what is confusing me. I have requested the county voters director to remove my name and give me a proof that it was a mistake. I have been called for jury duty once. Do you think that is it because I have registered to vote. I denied the jury duty form saying that I am not a citizen.

Itsmeyar:

You have two issues going on...the first one is you have registered to vote while you were not a citizen.
From what we know this problem can be fixed by decraling it on the application by answering yes in applicatiion
to the question; have you ever registered to vote? and degistering and getting the proper documentation; not
computer printouts but actual paperwork from the registerar office....

your second issue is you once again made another serious error: even though you registered, you responded
no in the application to the relevant question...so what do you do? I think you have to options: the first one i
is simple ignore the whole thing and go along your no answer. If they discover on their own without you
declaring a coming clean, then you are in big trouble, and you will have trouble having them listen to you.
Also there is a chance they may not discover and everything goes smooth....but if you were able to see
you were registered, they have better tools and knowledge in situations like this and probably they will find it.

The second option is: the whole interview idea is for applicants to make corrections. Get your paperwork, and
once you take the aoth, tell the officer that you want to make correction. Explain what happened and give the p
paperwork and see what happens...I think you will have zero problem....these mistakes do happen and the
uscis knows about it...but you have to follow the beruacratic way...good luck my friend...and do not stress out..
I know this stage of the application process is very hard for those who feel that everything is fine with them..
let alone for those who think they made simple stupid mistake...good luck again

Itsmeyar:

You have two issues going on...the first one is you have registered to vote while you were not a citizen.
From what we know this problem can be fixed by decraling it on the application by answering yes in applicatiion
to the question; have you ever registered to vote? and degistering and getting the proper documentation; not
computer printouts but actual paperwork from the registerar office....

your second issue is you once again made another serious error: even though you registered, you responded
no in the application to the relevant question...so what do you do? I think you have to options: the first one i
is simple ignore the whole thing and go along your no answer. If they discover on their own without you
declaring a coming clean, then you are in big trouble, and you will have trouble having them listen to you.
Also there is a chance they may not discover and everything goes smooth....but if you were able to see
you were registered, they have better tools and knowledge in situations like this and probably they will find it.

The second option is: the whole interview idea is for applicants to make corrections. Get your paperwork, and
once you take the aoth, tell the officer that you want to make correction. Explain what happened and give the p
paperwork and see what happens...I think you will have zero problem....these mistakes do happen and the
uscis knows about it...but you have to follow the beruacratic way...good luck my friend...and do not stress out..
I know this stage of the application process is very hard for those who feel that everything is fine with them..
let alone for those who think they made simple stupid mistake...good luck again

Hi Fasal.

Thanks for your advice. The reason why I said No to the answer to the question Have you ever registered to vote is the fact that I got the rejection letter saying that I am not eligible to vote, I thought I may not be in the voters list. I didn't bother to check it also until I see another post today about the rejection of his case for registering for vote, my bad. Does any of you guys in the same situation as me, what you suggest? To reveal it at the interview or not? I am screwed in both ways.

If you truly answered NO to being a US citizen on the voter registration form, don't mention the voter registration on your N-400 or the interview. They didn't register you, and you didn't claim to be a US citizen, so you'll be fine. If USCIS discovers it, you can defend it because you got the letter saying you're not eligible to register, and you said NO about being a US citizen on the registration form.

The inactive record doesn't mean you're registered. When something is amiss with somebody's registration, they often inactivate the record rather than discard it altogether, so if the person is truly qualified to vote they can come forward and clarify or correct the information and have it reactivated quickly, or perhaps be allowed to cast a provisional ballot while the issue is sorted out.

For jury duty, they take names from multiple sources like DMV and property tax, not just the voter list.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you truly answered NO to being a US citizen on the voter registration form, don't mention the voter registration on your N-400 or the interview. They didn't register you, and you didn't claim to be a US citizen, so you'll be fine. If USCIS discovers it, you can defend it because you got the letter saying you're not eligible to register, and you said NO about being a US citizen on the registration form.

The inactive record doesn't mean you're registered. When something is amiss with somebody's registration, they often inactivate the record rather than discard it altogether, so if the person is truly qualified to vote they can come forward and clarify or correct the information and have it reactivated quickly, or perhaps be allowed to cast a provisional ballot while the issue is sorted out.

For jury duty, they take names from multiple sources like DMV and property tax, not just the voter list.
Thanks, eventhough I answered NO for the to being a US citizen on the voter registration form, since I signed in that form technically I should have answered Yes to the question, Have you ever registered to vote. What I am afraid is that if they find that I put the application and I hide that in the N400, will that be causing more issues rather than just admit that in the interview and show the proof that the registration was done by DMV by error and I have unregistered.

Thanks, eventhough I answered NO for the to being a US citizen on the voter registration form, since I signed in that form technically I should have answered Yes to the question, Have you ever registered to vote. What I am afraid is that if they find that I put the application and I hide that in the N400, will that be causing more issues rather than just admit that in the interview and show the proof that the registration was done by DMV by error and I have unregistered.
Answering NO to being a USC on voter registration form is not registering to vote. Registering to vote means you signed voter registration form and stated you were a USC. The registered inactive status likely means they received the form, but since you're not eligible (they sent you a letter about it) your online status shows inactive.

You weren't registered. Merely signing and submitting the form doesn't mean you were registered.

Suppose you were registering something else, like a car. Say the form has a question "Are you a resident of this state, or will the car be parked overnight in this state at least 183 days per year?" and you answer NO, and you fill out all the other information and sign the form. Then they send you a letter saying you're not eligible to register the car in the state, and they don't send any registration papers. The car is not registered, and if a cop stops you the cop will take away the car if you can't show it is registered somewhere else.

Don't complicate things for yourself by admitting that you registered. You didn't register, even though you made an unsuccessful attempt at registering. The N-400 doesn't ask if you attempted to register.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the rejection letter they sent which says I am not elible to vote. It happend in 1999 and I didn't think that time that letter is going to be used for anything, so I thow it away. It happend in a different state also. Is there any way to get a copy of the voter registration form that I filled out?I have sent a letter to the county office to remove my name from the voters list, and give me proof that my registration was done in error. Also, what is the possibility that USCIS find it from a different state that I lived 10 year before. They asked only details about the addresses that I lived in the past 5 years in the N400?

Just answer NO and stop worrying about it! It is unlikely they will try to find your records in that state, and if they do they'll also have to find that you signed something where you claimed to be a US citizen. And you didn't claim to be a USC.

Here is my story; I had an interview on May 6th, 2010. I appeared for an interview and everything went smooth, at the time of interview I was explained there will be two parts of interview; the first part was of American civic, History, and English test which was done in 5 minutes.
Second phase was going through Form verifying information and presenting any original documents as asked. In the end I was told that on file they have a proof that the voter registration was cancelled from county office clerk and on the form I mentioned I never registered to vote. Which I explained in my honest word that "after when I got married back in 2003 I went for address change and I was accidently put on voter registration list which I may have signed the form but was never explained well enough what it was about". The IO than said I am going to take sworn statement asking some questions and will document this for reference. I nodded in affirmation and gave my consent as I thought this is not a big deal. I was than asked if I have ever voted in any election. I replied NO. After sworn statement I was told that the decision is not going to be made today as they need further information from Board of Election office if the statement I provided was correct. I asked what the time frame is. The answer was in mixed tone of flat rudeness that "you will receive a letter and follow the directions" I than asked if you have seen the similar situation. The IO than said YES and person voted, IO mentioned people get deported.
I explained to IO that this not part of my fault and I have already rectified it by going to DMV office which they directed me to county clerk office and I have been taken off from the list in 2004. Also I have never voted in any election. IO didn’t gave me any assurance as to my case will be approved but mentioned since my 3 kids and wife is U.S Citizen and this is 7 years old, chances are rare that case will be denied but this is beyond IO level and has to go to level above.
May 10, 2010, I am at work and received a call from wife that letter has arrived and as mentioned I am being directed to follow the procedure and contact board of election for a written copy of if I have ever voted in any election. My wife called the board of election and was confirmed immediately that a relevant person never voted but should arrive in person to get a certified copy of letter. Also board of election confirmed that they have a copy of that I voter registration was cancelled in 2004 and signed copy of application.

Now this is so dubious that IO will deny my case based on the fact that I lied on the application (since its up to their discretion) besides I also think as I explained in my sworn statement that I was never well explained and it was DMV mistake and I never willingly declare myself to be a U.S Citizen anywhere and that I have never voted in any election (in my whole life) my case might get approved.

I don’t know what do to do? Should I contact a lawyer, I was reading on forum that a person did voted and was approved.

Seriously, this is such a flaw, you can’t get a departmental credit card approved but anybody can walk in the DMV and claim to be U.S Citizen.