UNIQUE Questions about Valid Passport and I-94 (NOT in FAQ)

Arctura

Registered Users (C)
Can I Adjust My Status Without A Valid Passport??

Dear all, your knowledge is much appreciated regarding the following matter.

I entered the US with a student visa (F-1) and I am about to marry my girlfriend (a citizen). Due to the rules of my home country, I might not be able to renew my passport when it expires this November. My question is: can I adjust my status without a valid passport?

Specifically, will the immigration official refuse to stamp the passport if it is expired? And assuming that the official refuses to stamp the expired passport, is that a problem (since an actual green card will be issued later anyway)? I was told that an expired passport is not a problem as long as I have my I-94, but I want to confirm this matter.

Finally, besides the initial stamping, are there any future occasions when I will be required to produce a valid passport (for example, during the removal-of-condition interview, or naturalization)?

Thanks a million!

--Arctura

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me ask you this question.
What are the conditions for you to get a new passport? Do you have to go back and live in the home country for a period to get a new passport? If so, is there a chance that you can go back and apply for renewal of passport.
In the meantime, if you and your USC significant other are serious, you may want to consider getting married here and then have your significant other do consular processing for your green card. You can get your passport renewed in the meanwhile.
OR your fiancee' could sponsor you for a fiancee' visa and have you come over here again and then get married here.

As far as I know, you do need a passport that is not expired to present during the interview along with your I-94 and other things that prove your valid status in US. But, you should check on it, by calling the USCIS.

Artura,
Those who cannot produce a valid passport will not receive an I-551 stamp at the conclusion of a successful I-485 interview. However, you will still be issued a plastic green card. Since your passport is expired, you will not be travelling anyway. So you can just wait for the GC to arrive in the mail. I-751 and N-400 processes do not need a valid passport for adjudication.
Just curious, what is your home country that does not allow its citizens to renew passports thorugh its embassy/consulate?

Arctura,

If I am not mistaken, the embassy of your country should be able to renew your passport here in the USA.

It would be a good idea to contact them and have the process started, if they do renew passports.

This will renew your passport and also not worry about this issue.
I am from India, and I know that Indian embassy does this. :)

What you absolutely need is the I-94 attached to your passport.
If your passport is expired, or about to expire, you most likely won't get a stamp.
You will get a plastic green card as proof of your legal permanent residence status.

Your passport though is necessary to travel basically anywhere and since this January even to enter the US (even USC need a passport).

If your country doesn't renew or issue a new passport at its consulates abroad, I believe you could still fly there with an expired passport and then get a new one overseas before you fly back.
Otherwise, you have to wait until you become a USC and get a US passport.

Ashin2 said:
Let me ask you this question.
What are the conditions for you to get a new passport? Do you have to go back and live in the home country for a period to get a new passport? If so, is there a chance that you can go back and apply for renewal of passport.
In the meantime, if you and your USC significant other are serious, you may want to consider getting married here and then have your significant other do consular processing for your green card. You can get your passport renewed in the meanwhile.
OR your fiancee' could sponsor you for a fiancee' visa and have you come over here again and then get married here.

As far as I know, you do need a passport that is not expired to present during the interview along with your I-94 and other things that prove your valid status in US. But, you should check on it, by calling the USCIS.

Hi:

What makes you think that he requires a passport for the interview? A passport is a good idea to have for many practical reasons, but it is not a requirement of a GC interview.

I agree with Txgirl, there should be a local consulate that will help you with this matter and best to get the ball rolling now. Best practice is to not let anything expire. You may not need it for the GC interview technically, but I'm sure personally it looks better to show that you took the intiative to stay on top of your affairs.

And yes, you can't get into the USA without a valid passport as of the 23rd of this month I believe. Renewing or getting a passport is the least painful of all this stuff so why not do it and know your safe for five years.

Get a valid passport to avoid any complications. It's easy to do. I've done it with mine. You will need a passport anyway.