U.S. Passport

LegalAlien99

Registered Users (C)
Hi y'all!

What am I supposed to put down on the passport application form where it asks for 'Alien Registration - if applicable'? Do I leave it blank? Enter my certificate number? Do I enter my the A number that is on my green card?

Cheers!

Legal

LegalAlien99 said:
Hi y'all!

What am I supposed to put down on the passport application form where it asks for 'Alien Registration - if applicable'? Do I leave it blank? Enter my certificate number? Do I enter my the A number that is on my green card?

Cheers!

Legal
that field was put there for a reason; aliens who just got naturalized. Don't you think that only US citizens are qualified to apply for US passport, however, the Department of State still put it there, then even us citizens who had alien number should mention that on the application.

Your A number is on your naturlization certificate. It is the same number as on your green card. You should include it on the application.

DR_Z

Sony2006 said:
that field was put there for a reason; aliens who just got naturalized. Don't you think that only US citizens are qualified to apply for US passport, however, the Department of State still put it there, then even us citizens who had alien number should mention that on the application.

Hmmm... uhhh... did you just pull that opinion out of the ether?

As it happens, there is a small group of non-citizen US nationals who are allowed a US passport. Some info here

boatbod said:
As it happens, there is a small group of non-citizen US nationals who are allowed a US passport. Some info here

I doubt that non-US citizen nationals of U.S. territories are aliens and have A numbers. I believe that the A number on the passport application form applies to all former immigrants whose immigration files are still tied to their A numbers for life. Check your naturalization certificate, it still has your A number on it.

LegalAlien99 said:
Hi y'all!

Cheers!

Legal

The alien Registration number on the passport application is not for naturalized citizens. It is for kids those less than 18 years old with permanent residence status and one or both parents become US citizen.
When you acquired citizenship, your alien number become invalid and USCIS will reassign that number to your file.
Best regards,
Sams68

I went to the passport office with my wife for expedited passport processing. She did not fill in her A number on the application. When the woman behind the window took the form she filled in my wife's A number from her natz certificate into the box that said A number on the form. This A number was the same number that was on her greencard.

Thus my answer above.

DR_Z

Hi Dr_Z, were you able to get your passport same day? I am going in on Thurs after my oath on Wed.

I came back two days later and got it. I am not sure if they can do it same day. Maybe if you had a airplane ticket that said you were leaving the next day they would be able to do it same day.

DR_Z

On 09/18/06 I applied US passport at Passport Agency and I will pick up on 9/20/06. Exepediate with airline ticket but not with in 14 days I am travelling with in 20 days.

Thanks Dr_Z and Jattindc1. I fly out 3 days after oath, we will see how quick i can get the passport.

If you go to Passport Agency (You need to make an appointment by calling 1877-487-2778) you can get your passport in 2 hrs.
Good luck.

US Passport requirements

I guess, i have a question rather than the response!...

My oath is in two weeks from now and i would like to apply for my [assport immidiately so that i can travel out from USA. two questions: what forms fo i fill and what are the requirements for the application? (2)does US law allows dual citizenship, ie if i had to travel to bangladesh, where i am orginially from, can i use the Bangladesh passport to avoid visa difficulties fro US nationals or would that be breaking the law.....?

You can apply immediately after you get your naturalization certificate - though you probably want to make a copy of the certificate first.

If you apply at a post office or other passport acceptance facility, you can pay extra for "expedited processing". You will get your passport in a week or two if there are no glitches (for example, your pictures don't meet the specs). Make sure to follow the instructions carefully.

If you live near a regional passport facility (there are about a dozen, for example, in Texas, there is one in Houston), and you have plane tickets, you can get a very expedited passport in a day or three (I have no experience with this)

To apply, go to http://travel.state.gov, fill in the on line form and print it out. Don't sign it (you sign it in the presence of a witness at the post office (or where ever) after taking an oath).

The US allows (but doesn't really recognize) dual citizenship. I have no idea if Bangladesh does. The "dual citizenship faq" (find using any search engine) is a good reference about dual citizenship.

As a US citizen, I believe you are supposed to travel on a US passport. Some countries have "citizenship cards" (for example, Canada). Canadian/US duals traveling home can use the US passport on the US side and the citizenship certificate on the canadian side.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice or opinion, treat everything I say as if I was making it up.

Thanks a bunch Flydog for your prompt reply!.. I guess, i should get my passport to ensure that i travel outside with it so that there are no issues. Also, i think i should seek to get Bangladesh visa to avoid any contention. However, i will check with immig bangladesh if they allow me to enter using bangladeshi passport so that i dont have to get a visa which is a pain in itself... thanks again...

Updating my passport issue. I took oath on Sep 20th and due my travel on Sept 23rd went to the San Francisco Passport Agency in-person and after setting up an appointment. They saw my travel itinerary (printed from the Airline's web site) and were able to issue the passport same day. My appt was at 9am, i picked up the passport after 3pm.

Good luck to everyone.

Xavier Rocoplan said:
Thanks a bunch Flydog for your prompt reply!.. I guess, i should get my passport to ensure that i travel outside with it so that there are no issues. Also, i think i should seek to get Bangladesh visa to avoid any contention. However, i will check with immig bangladesh if they allow me to enter using bangladeshi passport so that i dont have to get a visa which is a pain in itself... thanks again...

You can get a landing permit for $50.00 at Zia. It will be valid for between 15-30 (immigration officer's discretion, the officer gave me 30 days). You can then apply for a "no visa required" stamp at the main immigration office in Dhaka. It's free (but you do have to pay some grease money 500-1000 taka).

Or you can get one from the embassy in the US. However, the one issued in the US states that you cannot work (paid or unpaid) in Bangladesh, whereas the one issued in Dhaka does not prohibit employment.

Yes, you should enter certificate number and green card number for your identification. Proof of citizenship.

1. Proof of citizenship. This can be a previous passport or a certified (with a raised seal stamped into the paper) copy of your birth certificate.
2. Two identical two-inch square photos, color or black and white, with a white background, and a facial image size between one and one and 3/8 inches.
3. Proof of identification, with a photo and signature, such as a driver's license or student ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updating my passport issue. I took oath on Sep 20th and due my travel on Sept 23rd went to the San Francisco Passport Agency in-person and after setting up an appointment. They saw my travel itinerary (printed from the Airline's web site) and were able to issue the passport same day. My appt was at 9am, i picked up the passport after 3pm.

Good luck to everyone.

Hmm, my friend is a US citizen, and he lost his passport (well, stolen by his ex-wife), but I wonder if the same 6 hour rule applies to a "lost" U.S. Passport where he has int'l flight plans within 6 days.