U.S Passport Card, Can I send Naturalization Certificate instead?

jcroot88

Registered Users (C)
Hello Guys!

(If you don't feel like reading the whole story then just jump to #4)

1: I became a naturalized US Citizen on Oct 2012 and then I applied for a US Passport. (I still have my passport)

2: I almost lost my naturalization certificate and I found it after a couple days.
(This is the reason for opening up this new thread).

3: I never applied for a US Passport Book Card but since I almost lost my naturalization certificate and I travel a lot then I believe it will be a good idea to have another Proof of US Citizenship in the worse case that it gets lost along with my US Passport.

4: I want to apply for a US Passport Card but I don't want to send out my US Passport since I don't want to take the risk of not getting my passport on time before my upcoming trip which is this July 25.

Question: Can I send my Naturalization Certificate for the passport book card application instead of my US Passport?

Sure, you can always use your Certificate of Naturalization to apply for a passport book, passport card, or both.

P.S. Why would you lose your Certificate of Naturalization? You should basically never need to use it so you should just keep it in a safe place. I can only imagine "it gets lost along with my US Passport" only if you for some reason keep it together with your U.S. passport, which you should never do anyway. (Unless you are talking about losing all your possessions, in which case having a passport card wouldn't help you either.)

Sure, you can always use your Certificate of Naturalization to apply for a passport book, passport card, or both.

P.S. Why would you lose your Certificate of Naturalization? You should basically never need to use it so you should just keep it in a safe place. I can only imagine "it gets lost along with my US Passport" only if you for some reason keep it together with your U.S. passport, which you should never do anyway. (Unless you are talking about losing all your possessions, in which case having a passport card wouldn't help you either.)

Thanks for your quick reply!

So what do you think? It is worth paying the extra $30 for the U.S Passport Card just to have an extra I.D staying the citizenship or not? (In case that my Naturalization Certificate/Passport gets lost? Or having copies of both of them is more than enough?

I really don't mind paying the extra 30 dollars for U.S Passport Card but the application clearly says that I need to submit my U.S Passport and I don't want to take the risk of not getting my U.S Passport back on time before my trip.

If you don't want to submit your passport, you would apply using DS-11 in person like when you applied for a passport the first time, not using DS-82, the renewal form. I think.

If you don't want to submit your passport, you would apply using DS-11 in person like when you applied for a passport the first time, not using DS-82, the renewal form. I think.

Can you or someone else confirm this for me? This is really my concern/question, I don't want to submit my U.S Passport but my naturalization certificate.

Can you please answer my other question? It is worth it or not? In your opinion.

If you send in your naturalisation certificate, it won't be considered a renewal, so you cannot do it by post. The passport card isn't really worth it, however, unless you want to have more proof of citizenship, or want to carry one around all the time.