Typo on Oath Letter

amishah

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Just reached home and checked my mails. I was thrilled seeing my Oath Invitation letter in that. :) But there is one problem. They have wrote my name wrong. :eek: I have asked to change my name based on my marriage along with Naturalization Process. I wanted to change my middle name to my husband name and last name as my husband name.
The letter I received has my old middlename and new last name.
What should I do?? I don't want to delay my Oath.
please Help.

amisha!
Congratulations for receiving your Oath letter!! i am very happy and thrilled for you !!
Please amishah, share the details with me. like when exactly is the ceremony, where? everything please. What is your timeline and the district office, and what did they tell you after your interview.
thank you so much.
About the type, i would go to the oath ceremony so i don't get delayed probably several months again, and before the ceremony talk to the officers, it might be just a typo from the person who printed the letter. the name could be right in the database. just make sure you talk to somebody before you swear in.
Good luck, looking forward to hearing from you soon.
thanks

They misspelled my name on my receipt. I wrote them and called them and I recieved a letter stating that the corrections had been made in the "relevant systems". Two weeks later I recieved my FP letter and the spelling had not been corrected. I mentioned it to the officer during my FP and she said that she would take care of it.

Congratulations, Amishah!
This is what happened with the spelling of my name. On my Green Card the letter "h" was missing from my name, so I asked to add it when I filed N-400, and I confirmed it at the interview. Before my ceremony date I got a call from the office where they were preparing Naturalization Certificates. They wanted to confirm the spelling of my name. I couldn't believe it! So, if it is in your application, maybe they would call you, too.
By the way, did you call the 800 number? They might tell you what to do.

Just go the ceremony, Swear in, get your Cirtificate of citizenship. It is only be swearing in, you become a US citizen, then worry about the name later. you can change your name whenever you like later on.

Thanks you all.
I am going to call them today and will let you know. If for any reason I won't be able to change it without delaying my oath, I will keep it and change it later on.
Sony55,
My oath is on March 25, 2005 at
US District Court Middle District of TN
801 Broadway
Nashville, TN

I will have to drive 6 hours to get this place. Hopefully you will hear something very soon.

Steve_Houston said:
Just go the ceremony, Swear in, get your Cirtificate of citizenship. It is only be swearing in, you become a US citizen, then worry about the name later. you can change your name whenever you like later on.

How do I change my name afterwords??

Rahul,
I tried tp call my DO. But it is a dead end. No live help is available. I called at 800 #. They said I should send a copy of the Oath letter with an explaination to my DO and hopefully I will hear something before my oath. If I don't hear anything then I should just go ahead to oath ceremony and explain it to the officer there. What do you think should I do? Did you got your name corrected at oath ceremony??
Thanks

Congratulations amishah!
this is the Federal Building downtonw. it's about 15 minutes from where i live. I just hope i hear from them soon then. Maybe they are mailing letters by last name like the case in Texas. What is the first letter of your last name?

amishah said:
Hi All,
Just reached home and checked my mails. I was thrilled seeing my Oath Invitation letter in that. :) But there is one problem. They have wrote my name wrong. :eek: I have asked to change my name based on my marriage along with Naturalization Process. I wanted to change my middle name to my husband name and last name as my husband name.
The letter I received has my old middlename and new last name.
What should I do?? I don't want to delay my Oath.
please Help.

The oath letter will have your old name, and not the new name. The new name will be effective after you attend the judicial oath ceremony, and will be reflected on your naturalization certificate accompanied by a name change certificate. At the oath ceremony, you will be given a chance to verify your name on the certificate. Good luck.

P.S: IMO, your last name change is based on your marriage certificate. But your middle name change is you requesting an official name change, which can only be done by the order of the court.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree with Fitness. what he/she says makes perfect since. You don't have the new name formally untill after you swear in. So, don't worry, just wait and talk to someboyd at the front desk on the day of ceremony to clear everything up.

Thanks. My last name starts from '"S". I just mailed a letter to Memphis informing about error in my name. I also have taken an info pass for next Monday. I need to discuss about my husband's case too. Lets see what happens.
I have heard that if you have a typo in your name and you try to correct it at the time of oath, they will let you take the oath but will hold your certificate and will mail it to you at later time which may take 2 months. I hope, I don't have to go through it.

amishah,

Your options are
1) Visit the DO now and see if you can find out what the error msg is
2) Call the 800 # , ask to speak to an IMMIG OFFICER not a contractor and see what name they have on file for you
3) In all likelihood you cant do much now just go get natz, get ur certificate, if they have ur name wrong, just get it changed by a court its FAR easier than filing for an ammended certificate of natz

Thanks Rahul.
I just called the 800# and I think I have talked to a immigration officer :confused:. You know those contractor tries hard that you don't get to talk to a officer. But she said she don't have access to my files since they are at DO. I got infopass for monday.
I appriciate your help.

It hasn't change for me either. But you should be getting an oath letter this week. If not then I would talk to DO and check on it.

If I found an error in my name on my cert. at the end of the ceremony and if I get it fixed at the court later on, how can I use my new name to sponsor my family since my cert. will have wrong name on it and so I won't be able to submit a copy of it?