Two Alien Numbers and impact on N400 processing/Interview...?

jigesh

Registered Users (C)
I have had two alien numbers - one due to I-485 processing and the second due to Consular processing of my I-140 in past. Consular processing comes under US Department of State, while I-485 is via US Department of Justice - so dual alien numbers can happen.

A couple of years ago, while returning from abroad, I was asked to go for secondary inspection at the arrival airport and the officer told me secondary inspection was due to dual alien numbers. He simply checked the records on his machine, and let me go without any questions.

There's no form where I can apply to USCIS for "consolidation" of alien numbers. Does this create any delays during interview or any other stage of N400 processing? Does anyone have/had similar case?

Thank you.

It can create delays in processing since they must consolidate both A# during naturalization process.

You can try and mention both the A numbers in the cover letter when you apply for N400. Hopefully they will have both files at your interview location and there won't be any delay. If not, the interviewing officer will realize the missing file, and order that file....adding several weeks to your process. Other than a small delay...there should not be any issues.

Thank you both.

I already applied - so can't send a cover letter now. However, once I get interview letter, I can write to NYC DO requesting consolidation. Don't know if that would help. Looks like I (and my wife) will have delays due to this.

I also visited NRC (National Records Center) website, but nowhere I could find a way where I could request consolidation of these numbers (like, IRS allows consolidation of social security number and ITIN - income tax identification number).

When my consular processing was approved, I withdrew my I-485 and (then) INS sent me a written letter confirming withdrawal. But apparently, this did not cause consolidation since I was stopped for secondary inspection at the airport after that.

It's more like a wishful thinking rather than an actual question, but is it possible that the new lock-box facility and pre-processing at NBC may reduce interview-time requests of multiple A-files?

Here's what USCIS say:

Q: What will the N-400 process be at the NBC?

A: The NBC will perform pre-interview processing in much the same manner as the Service Centers have done for the last several years. Background checks will be initiated and completed, and applicant A-files will be requested and received. A complete file review will be performed on cases and NBC will issue a notice to the applicant if the applicant needs to bring additional evidence to the interview at the local USCIS Field Office. Further improvements of the N-400 process will be implemented as the NBC process is refined to provide, to the extent possible, decision-ready cases for Field Offices at the time of interview and to reduce the number of continuances at the time of interview.

This forum indeed is a wealth of information for all kinds of cases; I found few previous threads, including this one which shows delay due to multiple A-numbers (though during pre-lockbox days).

A follow up update on above for those who might have similar issue...

Spoke to another information officer at the USCIS this morning; and she told me both of my alien numbers have been consolidated and the alien number that I must use is the one on greencard; and the previous alien number is "terminated and is no longer valid." She also mentioned that if this was not done at the NBC, the interviewing officer would request it, and there was no way the applicant directly could request consolidation. She also added that she didn't have any authority to request consolidation, she simply can access the database using my previous alien number to see if it was "linked" to may main A-file. I was suprised (pleasantly) with the knowledge of intricacies she had unlike the IO I got last time (a few days back when I had the same question) who had no clue whatsoever.

Despite all this, I don't pretend to be relieved since one never knows if the interviewing officer at NYC would re-raise this issue and could continue the case instead of adjudicating it (assuming everything else is fine on that day).

The above doesn't apply to overwhelming majority of applicants, but I thought of updating the forum nevertheless.

I too had two alien numbers - one prior to the GC and one after the GC. The only alien number I ever used after the GC, and even during advance parole, was the one on my GC. Your A# for N-400 purposes should be on all of your NOAs for fingerprinting and for the interview itself. I wouldn't be too concerned. The only purpose of the A# is for them to locate your file - the person you spoke with it at USCIS is probably right - they have matched the old A# with your current A# and they have probably received all the information they need to conduct your interview. My pre-GC A# never came up in my interview. Good Luck!