Turkish birth certificate

As a US citizen petitioning his spouse, he doesn't need to provide a Turkish ID or birth certificate. He needs proof of US citizenship, which includes a US passport, naturalization certificate, citizenship certificate, or Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Since he was born outside the US, a birth certificate doesn't prove his US citizenship.

But you as the immigrant will need to provide your birth certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I've got an invitation to the interview a few days ago and I've got a question about my spouse's birth certificate that I need to bring with me. My husband is a USC, was born in Turkey and (according to him) they don't have birth certificates but ID cards instead. Also, they have a box for 'marital status' on the card. He has renewed his ID card recently but it says that he's single on it. The process of changing his marital status on the card is gonna take additional 2-4 months now...so I was wondering if that's gonna be of any significance at the interview? And if yes, is there anything I can do at the moment?
Thank you in advance for your advice...

Jacko answered your main question but I'll add my two cents too as a Turk.

I recently renewed my Turkish ID card as well (which is the equivalent of a birth certificate anyway), and it doesn't take nearly as long as the consulate states it to take. Mine came back in just a month, and I sent it in August which should give a good indication as to how fast they're handling applications nowadays.

There is a circumstance where they'll ask for the birth certificate of the non-US-born USC spouse... that's if other documents show an inconsistency with the name or date of birth. In such a situation they may want to see the birth certificate to resolve the discrepancy.

He has renewed his ID card recently but it says that he's single on it.
Did he apply for that renewal after getting married?